spc
uniqs
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to metalhawk

to metalhawk

Re: PVR Drive Cycling

We have two units - one with an external hard drive and one without. I can verify it is happening with both units.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yeah its happening to my 8300HD without an external drive as well.

I just didnt hear it before due to ambient noise. Its spins up/down way more often than it used to when they first had the problem a year ago.
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

Hooter

This issue has been posted about on the Rogers Facebook page. The last comment made by RogersChris is as follows: "We're looking into it. We have no further info to share." Translation: We have no idea why we screwed up again, so we are not going to tell anybody! Typical Rogers!
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I just didnt hear it before due to ambient noise. Its spins up/down way more often than it used to when they first had the problem a year ago.

It's hard not to hear mine...think the HD is on its way out, as it makes a loud clunk everytime it spins up/down. Guess it's time to find an old PATA drive to throw in there!
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

You have to keep in mind that the spinning up and down is a result of another useless firmware update from Rogers. IMHO, I have not seen one change that improves things. Like the update of a couple of years ago, this latest update is once again wreaking havoc with customers and you should not think that it is your hard drive that needs replacing. We have a PVR box that now needs to be turned on 24/7 (or left unplugged) to keep it from driving us crazy and this unit worked perfectly up until the update we received last Friday!

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

Don't worry... Rogers has your back.
They probably think that by spinning up and down the hard disk drive every two minutes is good for the drive. Like it will somehow make it stronger and more reliable in the end... like physical exercise.

Stewy6
Premium Member
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON

Stewy6

Premium Member

seriously how hard is it to fix this, don't they have the previous firmware that was working ? Jeezz
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

Rogers made it quite clear to me that reverting back to the previous SARA version was not an option! They are supposedly working on a fix and we all know what that means with Rogers!
JAC70
join:2008-10-20
canada

JAC70

said by Hooter:

Rogers made it quite clear to me that reverting back to the previous SARA version was not an option! They are supposedly working on a fix and we all know what that means with Rogers!

Do you have an 8300 or an 8642? The 8642 can be reverted back to SARA.
Hooter
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

What I meant was that even though the firmware could be reverted back, Rogers has told me that they will not revert back. I have the 8300 which has been affected by a new firmware update. The last rep I spoke to actually asked me what I wanted done. I stated that reverting to the old version would be good since the latest update was causing so many problems. She stated to me that it was not an option!