Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

[request] New Forum Request

Justin has provided us with a forum that covers most Everything DSL members are interested in from News and Security to Computing Clubs and Hot Deals. Then he added great Mods to keep it nice so everyone can find something to talk about.

But there is one DSL issue that has never been addressed.

The spotlight has never signed brightly on Broadband in the Rural Americas. People who live in large cities do not any concept of how bad connectivity is in small towns. People who live in large cities have no idea what it is, or where folks in Rural Americas actually live. It is not in Montreal or a Chicago Exurb.

Just to give one small example. I live 50 miles from three towns that offer Comcast and AT&T. Between me and thee there are at least 20 small communities that receive no or inferior connectivity at high prices such as a cable bundle of over $100 per month. This includes 2Mbps download and 256k upload speeds. By comparison in some parts of Dallas metro area FIOS connectivity is 25/25 for $25.

Yes, you see do find members mention it in different forums, but there is no Forum to really talk about the differences from county to county, state to state, region to region or province to province. I don't think anyone can really understand broadband and how BIG brother manipulates regulations without a complete picture. If you ever noticed, rural Americas is glossed over and largely ignored in high level government meeting and public hearings.

I would like Justin to consider a Rural North Americas Broadband Forum. Basically it sucks and we should be talking about it.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7

Re: [easy] New Forum Request

Ok, it sounds interesting to me.

*Sign*

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to linicx
*sign*

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to linicx
Karl's Weekend thread started with an article that ISP's in KC want the same perks KC gave Goggle. This is what Time-Warner and AT&T complain about..... yet there is no TW, or AT&T or Comcast or even Quest in Rural America.

"There are certain portions of the agreement between Google and Kansas City, Kan., that put them at a competitive advantage compared with not just us but also the other competitors in the field," said Alex Dudley, a Time Warner Cable spokesman. "We're happy to compete with Google, but we'd just like an even playing field." AT&T declined to comment on any negotiations but said, "It's time to modernize our industry's rules and regulations…so all consumers benefit from fair and equal competition."

"If you've watched both companies' behavior over the years, you know the very last thing either wants is "fair and equal competition," and both carriers are notably timid when it comes to serious next-gen deployments. Time Warner Cable has drastically lagged behind in their "surgical" deployment of DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades, and in addition to choosing FTTN over FTTH, AT&T intends to leave tens of millions of DSL users on older DSL technology -- indefinitely."

To be fair you might find AT&T and even Comcast in rural America IF: There is a significant college population say 30-40K students and teachers, plus a county seat. state government, and sometimes small towns of 100,000 that have corporations like CAT that employ thousands. Thus in downstate Illinois, U-C, Springfield, B-N, and Peoria are served and costs are low. This is about 600,000 served in one small area in a state with 13M people.

But you won't find these giants in every county seat or Parish in America or even in Illinois where less than 20 miles from the State Capital slow dialup is still Top Dog in a rural community of 20 houses.

IL has 101 Counties, yet the giant service providers do not offer service in every county, and in fact in the last ten years they've all pulled out of rural and mid-America leaving upstart companies like Frontier, CenturyLink, and Suddenlink to act like the parent. IL is not the only state where this happened. Look to Mississippi. Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Louisiana, and it also affected parts of California, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Kentucky. I am sure as I type this there are other adversely affected areas in every state.

There has never been a clear picture painted because there is no place on the Internet where all rural services are discussed.

--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside