Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo

Re: [iPhone] Passbook

People already carry payment methods, NFC for P.O.S. doesn't add much convenience (take out a phone, take out a wallet) while it carries great expense in terms of P.O.S. investments for merchants (which means no merchants will offer the NFC service). In terms of convenience it ends up slower than paying by CC (because you have to take the time to open and pass security measures in the app such as typing in a PW) and may offer fewer consumer protections vs paying directly with plastic. And for merchants, merchant fees are much higher without a physical swipe of the customer's card so you would have to get Visa, Amex and Mastercard to get on board with NFC to keep fees low.

It's just kinda pointless, just like those smartchips in cards that allowed you to just put the card near the device instead of swiping it...a solution in search of a problem.

There is no "payment" convenience problem. Because NFC isn't offered by anyone people already carry all their payment methods. The only thing I could see an NFC benefit for is tying it to say a Paypal account, but then again, Paypal is then tied to a CC or checking account (which would have a debit card).

Passbook adds a different convenience factor in not having to carry coupons or separate papers in a travel itinerary. For something like Fandango, it skips you having to go to the kiosk to print your ticket. In my area even Fandango kiosks can have long lines like the actual box office. If you are at dinner, you can get your ticket using the fandango app and walk right in without having to log back into the fandango app (supposedly). If you happen by a supported store, you always have your coupons on you. I'd like to have a Petco app...I accumulate $5 coupons but NEVER seem to have them on me when I happen to jump into the store to pick up dog food. If I had an Petco Passbook app where I could save those coupons and scan the coupon at checkout, it would save me quite a bit of money (with 2 Labradors I blow through more than 2 cases of Science Diet a week)

But even Passbook's convenience improvements are marginal, a solution that works to solve a very minor convenience problem.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

Thanks. I've never used NFC so was curious.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

I'd like to have a Petco app...I accumulate $5 coupons but NEVER seem to have them on me when I happen to jump into the store to pick up dog food. If I had an Petco Passbook app where I could save those coupons and scan the coupon at checkout, it would save me quite a bit of money (with 2 Labradors I blow through more than 2 cases of Science Diet a week)

I was able to create PetCo, PetSmart and CVS PassBook cards using PassSource.Com which showed the amount of awards I had accumulated. THey even resembled the photos shown on »www.apple.com/ios/whats- ··· passbook Only problem was, once I had those cards I could no longer see the Apple App Store button.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

It's easier to just print the coupon.