All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to shorun

to shorun

Re: [General] Correct Cisco WIC for SBC DSL?

said by shorun:

Hey, thanks guys, good call. I got a speedstream 5100 bridge. You can't even log into the web interface without manually creating an ARP entry.

Sadly that means no access to line parameters when there are sync issues.
shorun
join:2012-09-03

shorun

Thanks for pissing on my parade! That is a good point - but I do have a Siemens 4100 I can plug in for troubleshooting

The 4100 gave me a bunch of problems though. When I would fire up certain games or run NMAP it would flip out and log me off. I'd have to power cycle my modem and firewall, and then go to the web interface and click "Connect". Huge pain... works fine now

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

The 4100 modems had problems with too many connections when the modem was handling the PPPoE. Certain online games expected to make more connections than the modem's limited NAT memory could handle and the modem would reboot.

The last available firmware update helped this problem some, but the real cure is to run the modem in bridged mode and let the router behind it handle the PPPoE encapsulation.
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to shorun

to shorun
said by shorun:

The 4100 gave me a bunch of problems though. When I would fire up certain games or run NMAP it would flip out and log me off. I'd have to power cycle my modem and firewall, and then go to the web interface and click "Connect". Huge pain... works fine now

Do not use ppp on the modem. Get one that has line statistics, put it in a bridge mode, and use one of many techniques to access it in front of the firewall.
shorun
join:2012-09-03

shorun to d_l

to d_l
Ah - I had determined the problem to be too many Xlates / connections, but didn't know you could put it in bridged mode. I'll try that when my 5100 overheats. I actually found the 5100 in our ewaste closet at work, and I think there is a netopia floating around somewhere too.

Thank you for the insight on this.