This is a sub-selection from More aggressive pricing

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to fuziwuzi

Re: More aggressive pricing

If you don't investigate coverage for YOUR needs before getting service, or utilize the 14-30 day return policies, then you don't deserve any sympathy. There are places where Verizon has no signal, would you still claim that people there should buy Verizon just because you get good service from them?

T-Mobile has given me excellent service for going on 9 years now. I travel a lot all over the US and have not had any issue with service, except in a very rural area where my parents live. But guess what, my brother using his AT&T iPhone also gets no service there. It is what it is. I'm not going to change my provider, which gives me great service 99.9999999% of the time simply because in one location that I visit for maybe 4 days every 2 or 3 years has no signal. Especially since I get unlimited anytime calling, unlimited text, and unlimited (truly unlimited) data for $60/month. And I have an unlocked phone that also works with foreign SIMs when I'm in China, Japan, Europe... even getting HSPA+ high-speed data in China.

So, it's great that you get good service with Verizon and you're happy with it. But, your experience doesn't mean everyone should get the same thing. I'm happy with my service with T-Mobile, it works exactly the way I want and need.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
Agreed! All cellphones work very well some place. AT&T generally concerns itself in medium and large cities, gov and corp phones, where the sell other services, too, but not so much in rural area unless there is a college and city government. Vzn, T-mo, and Sprint pick up the slack very nicely.

My cousin and I took a trip from IL to OK via 1-55 to 1-44. She uses AT&T. I had Vzn and Sprint. All three worked in every city, but AT&T did not work once we left the cities. She used my phones. I've used T-mo and Sprint between NOLA and LA and had little trouble - even with a head set. The desert and mountains are notorious for no or poor service as are rural areas.

The one city my phone did not work was dominated by AT&T.

There is also a difference between a regional phone and one with nationwide roaming enabled. Regional phones are usually very limited in scope.

A phone that is wonderful in NYC may not be worth two cents 60 miles from Lacon, Illinois. It depends upon the quality of the phone and the carrier.

--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
YMMV -- Last Summer (2011) I took a trip to Yellowstone from St. Louis. Travelled I-70, I-29, I-80 (Nebraska) on the way there. Came back I-90 through Montana and South Dakota. AT&T had voice and data the whole way. They even had 3G in West Yellowstone, MT where we had a room. A few spots did not have data but voice was always there. When there was no data, my iPhone showed an "o" which I read is some crazy-old topology. I-80 was 2G data but shockingly, I-90 was 3G the whole way.

I had roaming disabled so this was all AT&T or at least service that's not classified as roaming for AT&T customers.

While in the park, there was no coverage except at the edges near West Yellowstone, MT, Gardiner, MT, Old Faithful area and South toward Moran Junction, WY and Jackson, WY. However, I don't think anyone covers the park because I don't think the park allows towers. If they don't specifically prohibit towers as a disruption to the natural beauty, the problem takes care of itself because there's no power as very few lines traverse the park.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
Exactly. T-Mobile or Sprint would have been hopeless or running on crippled roaming the whole time.

I've been to many places that are beyond the end of the Sprint and T-Mobile networks, with blazing fast HSPA+ data, or at the very least, enough EDGE to get the data I really need.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

I wasn't stating a con for Sprint or T-Mobile. I was responding to linicx which said AT&T does medium/big cities and not rural. You don't get much more rural than big sky country and AT&T did really well except in the park.

For me, the substantial rural coverage provided by the big two vs. the Sprint/T-Mobile isn't a significant advantage. I spend 97% of my time in and around large metro areas therefore rural coverage isn't worth any extra cost.

What is worth the cost is how well each carrier serves where I do spend time. I know Sprint has challenges in my area but I'm willing to accept that for a cheaper price.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to BiggA
I've been to many places where I get great HSPA+ service with T-Mobile, including the major metropolitan areas of the US and also all over Europe and China, too (those were roaming, of course, but then I popped in a local SIM and still got HSPA+ service with my T-Mobile phone). I can count on one hand the number of times I've not had HSPA+ service when I wanted it. And unlike my friends who have iPhones on AT&T, my calls don't drop. Several of them have now switched their iPhones to T-Mobile and they're enjoying significantly lower prices and higher reliability for their service. They are so happy that I told them about their phones now working on T-Mobile.

So sure, as long as your mom continues to pay the bill, go ahead and enjoy that high priced AT&T service out in Deliverance country or wherever it is you frequent. Some of us pay for service out of our own pockets and prefer getting a better deal for what we use.
--

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
It all boils down to technology. AT&T is not very reliable in rural Central Illinois where VZN rules. It has much to do with politics in this state. Sprint is only reliable if it roams on VZN towers - which mean they have to use the same technology. CDMA worked very well. The CDMA iPhone did too on VZN.Without the same technology VZN uses, Sprint is dead in the water. T-Mo worked well every where I went between CA and IL except in one town that was saturated with US Cellular towers, and in parts of one large city. The only thing I really like about VZN is their cell towers.
--

BiggA

EARTH
There is no perfect carrier, some areas are better on Verizon/USCC, others on AT&T. Some areas in California are GSM-only, as are large parts of Texas and a few other places.

@fuziwuzi: The maps show it all. If you travel much at all, you won't have HSPA+ much of the time while traveling. AT&T is on and off with the 3G, more on than off lately, but the areas that AT&T doesn't have 3G T-Mobile has GPRS or no service at all.

I would stay with AT&T without a doubt, even at full price. It's still a relatively small amount of money for how much I use it and rely upon it. I certainly wouldn't go with a second rate product just to save a few bucks.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

1 edit
said by BiggA:

There is no perfect carrier, some areas are better on Verizon/USCC, others on AT&T. Some areas in California are GSM-only, as are large parts of Texas and a few other places.

@fuziwuzi: The maps show it all. If you travel much at all, you won't have HSPA+ much of the time while traveling. AT&T is on and off with the 3G, more on than off lately, but the areas that AT&T doesn't have 3G T-Mobile has GPRS or no service at all.

Like north-eastern New Mexico where T-Mobile's got native 2g and 3g, while ATT is....roaming?

I would stay with AT&T without a doubt, even at full price. It's still a relatively small amount of money for how much I use it and rely upon it. I certainly wouldn't go with a second rate product just to save a few bucks.

Also: Being a paid shill for ATT but having T-Mobile service at a fraction of the price wouldn't look too good for you, would it?
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

I travel to most of the major metropolitan areas of the US and I always have full HSPA+ service on T-Mobile. Your propaganda doesn't work anymore, everyone here is on to you. Try spewing someplace else where people are dumber.
--

BiggA

EARTH
reply to tiger72
One of two tiny areas in the country, the other being in Minnesota, where T-Mobile has native coverage and AT&T doesn't. Apparently you forgot about the rest of the country where AT&T has many, many areas with native coverage where T-Mobile doesn't.

@Fuziwuzi: Of course if you never leave the city limits any carrier will have service. Once you actually go somewhere, T-Mobile is hopeless.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
I wouldn't go so far as to say T-Mo is hopeless. It went 5,000 miles on one trip with me and worked everywhere except in some mountains.

As far as I am concerned the phone is only as good as the carrier. The give-away freebie phones simply are not very reliable for power users, or for long distance traveling. If you get the better phones there is much less chance of disappointment. I've had very good service with Sprint's Samsung, LG and T-MOs Motorola phones, but not so much with any Verizon phone.
--

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

One of two tiny areas in the country, the other being in Minnesota, where T-Mobile has native coverage and AT&T doesn't. Apparently you forgot about the rest of the country where AT&T has many, many areas with native coverage where T-Mobile doesn't.

FUNNY.

And I quote:
said by BiggA:

but the areas that AT&T doesn't have 3G T-Mobile has GPRS or no service at all.

So you're saying you're full of shit.

Thank you sir.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."

BiggA

EARTH
tiger72, you're saying that NO SERVICE on T-Mobile is better than 150kbps of EDGE on AT&T when you're not near any form of civilization?

That is full of shit. I don't know about your phone, but my iPhone works better on EDGE than NO SERVICE.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

@Fuziwuzi: Of course if you never leave the city limits any carrier will have service. Once you actually go somewhere, T-Mobile is hopeless.

The boonies are less populated, which means there aren't that many people going there. So, for the majority of people, T-Mobile works just fine. If living or visiting the boonies is important, then by all means, enjoy paying more for your service. It would not be logical for me to pay double the price for service that I don't use. AT&T service just would not be cost-effective nor beneficial to me.
--

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
Saint Louis, MO

3 edits
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

tiger72, you're saying that NO SERVICE on T-Mobile is better than 150kbps of EDGE on AT&T when you're not near any form of civilization?

I have never, ever had 150kbps of EDGE on ATT. On T-Mobile most definitely. I've seen 150kbps on ATT's 3g before they finally upgraded their atrocious network, but never anything that high on EDGE.

Typically I see speeds of 30-50kbps on ATT's EDGE.
And well, considering I don't go to the edges of civilization, I could really care less whether Asscrack,NM gets service or not anways.

That is full of shit. I don't know about your phone, but my iPhone works better on EDGE than NO SERVICE.

I made the mistake of switching one of my lines to ATT about 3 months back. I'd argue that when your data drops as often as mine does now on ATT, I'd frankly rather have the consistency of NO SERVICE. No worries though, I found a solution to the ATT data issues.

That line's going back to TMO soon

In the past 12 years I've lived and traveled a lot throughout the sparse midwest and mountain states and can count on 1 hand how many times I've not had any service at all with T-Mobile. At least when I use my TMO sim everything works as expected.
In fact, I've had consistent T-Mobile service on the side of a mountain where family lives which *STILL* doesn't show up as being covered after 6 years of routine coverage.
Funny note: ATT shows as having coverage up there (and gets 2 bars) but data drops consistently as well.

Meanwhile I have 4/4 bars of service with ATT right here at home in the middle of a large market, and my data sessions drop constantly. And ATT costs more. LOL.

While I personally (being reasonable) chalk that up to the inherent variability in network design and usage, for whatever reason your unfathomable hardon for ATT leads you to troll every.single.t-mobile post on this forum. Don't like T-Mobile and never used it? Why troll?

I honestly don't even think you get paid by ATT. They're not stupid -they certainly wouldn't hire someone so blatantly unconvincing. Which means that you're trying to shill *for free* to a company *you pay* for service. And the worst part for you is that all you do is make ATT look even *worse*. For a company as maligned as ATT, that's pretty impressive.
--

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19
reply to fuziwuzi
said by fuziwuzi:
I travel to most of the major metropolitan areas of the US and I always have full HSPA+ service on T-Mobile.
Theres the tidbit I needed.. you travel to metro areas... drive out to the real world beyond those metro areas with you tmetro phone.. where those cows are..

I've had VZW since it was just Bell Atlantic mobile and the local system in the area barely covered the suburbs of metro area even with the 3W AMPS unit with 5.6db center fed external antenna.

Now you barely have 0.2-0.6W on some waveguide or pcb strip antenna... that changes the dynamics of where you put cell sites dramatically regard less of technology be it CDMA, gsm, UMTS (which is NOT gsm!), LTE, or what ever might come along...

I've never had issues with service with VZW in any area I go... others around me with craptt, tmetro and the variants of the sproostgin and before it even the iDEN variants would have no service mostly, to service that came and went depending on how the breeze blew the leaves or branches...

You want coverage and you want to be able to use it you pay for it and you get VZW.

You want to risk it and get cheaper, and risk service... then take your pick.
--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....

BiggA

EARTH
reply to fuziwuzi
You should try and actually travel. It's a pretty sad life never going out and exploring the world.

@tiger72: I've tested over 200kbps on EDGE. Oftentimes it is slow, but not always.

My AT&T data is pretty reliable, except at work, with the in-building repeater system that seems to have issues. The other three carriers have very weak service, so AT&T is still the best there.

There are many areas around me, here along the NEC and a few miles away from I-95 that don't have any T-Mo service, but the entire state (CT) has AT&T fake 4G, and it's fast, even out in the woods.

I've seen T-Mobile service. It's horrible, at least in terms of consistency. When it has 3G service, it's really fast, but half the time it has weak or no service. AT&T and Verizon usually have service.

@TuxRaiderPen: AT&T and Verizon are on par nationally, just not in every market. Some are better on AT&T, some on Verizon. Either one will have coverage in 95% of places. Not so for T-Mo and Sprint (Sprint will roam on Verizon a lot).

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to TuxRaiderPen
said by TuxRaiderPen:

said by fuziwuzi:
I travel to most of the major metropolitan areas of the US and I always have full HSPA+ service on T-Mobile.
Theres the tidbit I needed.. you travel to metro areas... drive out to the real world beyond those metro areas with you tmetro phone.. where those cows are..

Like most people, I have NO REASON to go out "where those cows are". So, why should I pay for service I don't need? I get service everywhere that I do go, and I pay almost half the price that I would pay on AT&T. If that many people went out to "where the cows are", it would be more populated and thus would probably be served by T-Mobile.
--

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

You should try and actually travel. It's a pretty sad life never going out and exploring the world.

Are you for real? I travel all over the world, I just returned from living 3 months in China, with travel to Tokyo, Taiwan, and Honolulu thrown in. And I most certainly don't lead a sad life, especially not one sponging off my parents. Have you paid a phone bill yet?
--

BiggA

EARTH
If you travel one quarter that well, you'd find yourself in the US with no T-Mobile service quite often.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
said by BiggA:

If you travel one quarter that well, you'd find yourself in the US with no T-Mobile service quite often.

Sorry to tell you, but that is a lie.
--

BiggA

EARTH
No it's not. Unless T-Mobile has about 25,000 towers that are magically not on their maps. And half of those have 3G. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
said by BiggA:

No it's not. Unless T-Mobile has about 25,000 towers that are magically not on their maps. And half of those have 3G. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

T-Mobile has 30,000 towers...

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

Unless you actually get out of your Mom's basement, you don't know where I travel and you don't know the service I receive. As I've told you again and again, I travel to all the major metropolitan areas of the US... you know, where the MAJORITY OF PEOPLE LIVE. And in ALL OF THOSE PLACES I have full HSPA+ service with T-Mobile. You keep saying that isn't so, but you lie. You lie repeatedly and often. Stop it.
--

BiggA

EARTH
reply to tiger72
Right. And they would need another 25,000 to get anywhere near AT&T and T-Mobile. Likely more than that.

@fuziwuzi: You should try getting out there and actually traveling. Away from the busy, polluted cities. You wouldn't have T-Mobile service in a lot of those places. Of course any sh*t carrier is going to work if you're always within 5 feet of the freeway near a big city.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
said by BiggA:

Right. And they would need another 25,000 to get anywhere near AT&T and T-Mobile. Likely more than that.

@fuziwuzi: You should try getting out there and actually traveling. Away from the busy, polluted cities. You wouldn't have T-Mobile service in a lot of those places. Of course any sh*t carrier is going to work if you're always within 5 feet of the freeway near a big city.

I'm curious what destinations are so far away from highways that you think are so great to visit that dont even have roaming coverage?

Or is roaming not sufficient? If not, why?
--

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

I don't need to go to those places. The vast majority of people in this country don't go to those places. That's why the vast majority of people don't need to pay double the price for services they don't need. What is it that you don't understand about not wanting to pay for something I don't need? Your mom might have money to burn, but I don't. When you actually pay for something yourself, you tend to be more cautious about getting the most value for your money.
--

BiggA

EARTH
You should try leaving the freeways once in a while and enjoy life. It's a pretty sad existence never seeing a place with more trees than people.

Value. Value is having a phone that works. Works is AT&T or Verizon. Not the sh*t carriers.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
Saint Louis, MO
said by BiggA:

You should try leaving the freeways once in a while and enjoy life. It's a pretty sad existence never seeing a place with more trees than people.

Value. Value is having a phone that works. Works is AT&T or Verizon. Not the sh*t carriers.

Again.

I'm curious what destinations are so far away from highways that you think are so great to visit that dont even have roaming coverage?

Or is roaming not sufficient? If not, why?
--