spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

btB

@rr.com
reply to Jan Janowski

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 --- What benifits over W7-64?

Windows 8 was never going to be accepted on the corporate site no matter what simply because they are now only deploying Windows 7.

Anyway, here is another start menu alternative. This one is by IObit. Program is freeware and looks like Windows 7's start menu. It is still in beta though. I have tried it, and it seems okay. Hopefully, it is a little more polished when the final release is out.

»www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Jan Janowski

Its well known by now that there wont be any enhancements to Media Center in Windows 8. So anyone on Windows 7 now that uses Media Center would be making a lateral move going to Windows 8 Pro, plus the added expense of buying the Media Center pack. Although I have heard the Media Center add-on will be free from Oct 26 th to January 31 st.

Those who use Media Center and have Windows 8 Pro (RTM) now are keenly aware that the “add features" option will not allow you to obtain a key to install Media Center. Presumably keys will be available starting Oct 26 th.

I believe this feature still works in Windows 8 RP (with the public key) but not RTM (no keys).

So in other words you actually lose a feature,...for now.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
reply to Jan Janowski

Windows 8 you can pin your favorite program with a booger!
Gotta love touch screen.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to redxii

said by redxii:

My PC is not a phone or tablet.

There it is in a nutshell!
That UI "Metro" is NOT for desktops and only manages to annoy if not on a Tablet or touchscreen of some variant. I had it running and was not overly wowed by it.
--

Romney equals Epic Fail!

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Jan Janowski

I'm cautiously optimistic regarding Win 8, but I already know that at least one of the programs that I rely on, will not be Win 8 compatible unless I pay to upgrade it to a version that will require an annual subscription fee (SAM Broadcaster)

Heck, I have no idea yet if my audio hardware will have Win 8 drivers, have to check that

Haven't checked my other core non MS software yet (ESET/ Macrium Reflect) but I have a bad feeling that Macrium is going to be another kick to the wallet (ESET allows for free upgrades which the license is in place and I'm good until 2013 there)

As to the interface, I'm a tablet / touchscreen fanatic, having only one useable hand makes using a mouse painfully slow (take hand away from keyboard, move mouse, repeat) versus the shorter distance between the keyboard and the screen, at least the way I have things set up. Using the touchscreen features in Win 7 and loving it so far.

Interesting times indeed..

NefCanuck

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to spewak

said by spewak:

said by redxii:

My PC is not a phone or tablet.

There it is in a nutshell!
That UI "Metro" is NOT for desktops and only manages to annoy if not on a Tablet or touchscreen of some variant. I had it running and was not overly wowed by it.

Since the metro process seems to be crashing/broken on me now I'm realizing how important and integrated it is in Windows 8.

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC

When I can get a desk that looks like this, then touch computing will make a lot more sense to me.

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Jan Janowski

Click on image.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
reply to Jan Janowski

I really haven't seen anything about Windows 8 in itself that would convince me to upgrade from Windows 7, but I think that misses the whole point of Windows 8. Windows 8 is the first operating system that can make a tablet become a full replacement for a laptop or even a desktop. There is significant advantage to having your desktop, your tablet, your laptop and possibly your phone all using a similar interface. It just depends on how well MS ties all these devices together. I love the iPad but lets be realistic here.. IOS shuts the gates before the PC gets into its kingdom and that includes Apple PCs. Microsoft is trying something big and I hope they are successful. I'm more than willing to slap WIN8 on my PC if my next tablet purchase is going to a Microsoft driven product. I think there is a good possibility of me going in that direction.

Cartel
Premium
Chilliwack, BC
reply to Jan Janowski

They should have editions of Windows like , gamer edition, tablet edition, etc.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Cartel

said by Cartel:

Click on image.

Fixed (Click)

--
I Live In My Own World, But It's OK.....They Know Me There.