uniqs

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Tyreman

Premium Member

to Tyreman

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 --- What benifits over W7-64?

The one thing that I did notice about Window 8 on my system was that it appeared to me that the colors were "crisper"

I'm not sure how to describe it, but if I look at a picture that I took recently with my digital camera (don't have it in front of me, but its an olympus and a few years old) when I had Windows 8 installed, the colors seemed to be more "real" to me. Like the picture looked exactly like it would when I was standing there taking it.

When I went back to Windows 7, they seemed to loose a bit of kick so to speak.

For reference, this is the video card I have

»www.tigerdirect.com/appl ··· 145-0222

And my monitor
»www.tigerdirect.com/appl ··· V18-2235

I am current on the video drivers (for both OS's), and I got them direct from nvidia's webpage.

Again, it might just be me, but that was something I noticed. In fact, a lot of the images (web pages, photo's that I have taken, etc) seemed to be more "real" looking in Windows 8. Almost like they kicked up something in their video drivers maybe?

--Brian

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

said by plencnerb:

The one thing that I did notice about Window 8 on my system was that it appeared to me that the colors were "crisper"

If this were true, marketing would be pushing it, and they're not.
quote:
When I went back to Windows 7, they seemed to loose a bit of kick so to speak.

Lose is spelled l-o-s-e.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Like I said, it just appeared to me that was the case. I of course have no actual proof that they did make a change in Windows 8 to do what I thought I saw. I was really just pointing it out to see if other people noticed something similar, and if they did, was there some real proof behind it, or was it just our mind playing tricks on us.

As far as my spelling goes, I am grateful to have both a built-in spell checker inside of Waterfox, and the spell check button here on the forum. I can't spell to save my life! Of course, since loose is actually a word, neither spell checker caught it.

--Brian
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

Like I said, it just appeared to me that was the case. I of course have no actual proof that they did make a change in Windows 8 to do what I thought I saw. I was really just pointing it out to see if other people noticed something similar, and if they did, was there some real proof behind it, or was it just our mind playing tricks on us.

It's an old and well known placebo effect. It's like new-Windows-OS-runs-faster effect, that many users rush to report here, despite the fact, that every new Windows OS introduces more code to run (meaning CPU should do more work). This effect always flies fine because of several reasons. a) marketing wants users to believe that ... for obvious reasons; b) users usually get new Windows OS with a new hardware, which runs faster for obvious reasons; c) users usually try new OS after a new fresh installation procedure, while they try compare its speed to their old installation that always runs slower for obvious reasons; d) old Windows OS installations usually got updated with respective service packs placed over the old installations. It makes comparison with new version of OS not fair, as it would be in case, if those users were offered an easy way to make new and fresh installs of Windows OS with integrated service packs instead of just update packs running over the old OS...

Bottom line, what you see is just a placebo effect. Image can't be made more "real" or "crisper" with just a software update. It'd require at least new monitor with a wider color gamut, better contrast, etc.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by OZO:

Image can't be made more "real" or "crisper" with just a software update. It'd require at least new monitor with a wider color gamut, better contrast, etc.

Sure they can. Software has a choice in what it does with the bits on the way between the picture file and the display controller. Maybe just tweak the curves on the colour-matching, for example. Punch up the saturation just a little...

The OS certainly has colour management capabilities built in, so it's not infeasible that they have changed.

("Real" and "crisp" are in the eye of the beholder, of course. Punched-up colour is not necessarily real, just more attention-grabbing and thus more impressive. Which is why Samsung TVs come with ridiculous default settings).