how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dob3rman

join:2012-09-23

Running Windows Server 2008 at home for testing purposes

Hello, Optimum.

I have OOL Boost plus. I have the mentioned above server at home and I'd like to run it for testing purposes. However, OOL TOS says that I can't run any type of servers except mail servers but I need to do that for testing purposes only. I work in the IT field and there are things that I need to test at home. There will be almost no upstream traffic through my server because I will be only testing roles (DNS, DHCP, IIS, FS, and so on) and features and I need internet connection to make sure everything is working correctly

Again, I'm not going to use my server for commercial purposes, but for educational purposes only.

Thanks,
John

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Vonage

Hi, and welcome to DSLR.

My guess is optimum will not respond to your letter, and if they do they will reiterate what is in the TOS.

I see no reason you would need the internet to test all of those functions - you could just do the testing on your LAN. But if you do use the internet, you will probably get the same response from optimum as you got to your letter - none.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to Dob3rman

You can run them just fine, just as long as you aren't serving the public such has hosting a website or something. I have a Windows Home Server and I run that so I can connect to my file from on the road and that's also an accepted use as long as you make sure you secure your ports.

I'm testing Windows 2012 also for testing before deploying at work (still Windows Server 2003!!! ) on another machine and technically that's not on their network so it shouldn't matter.

You'll be fine so no worries

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Dob3rman

I think the answer in the Forum FAQ is probably as good an answer as any answer.

»Optimum Online FAQ »Can I run a server on OOL?

Dob3rman

reply to jaa

I want to deploy and test integration with Office365, which is an online service and so on. There are a lot of things that you can't test on LAN

Dob3rman

reply to SHoTTa35

Hmm.. In TOS they do allow you to host your own web site:)

kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ

Right, and a prerequisite to that is a server.
--
Ken

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to Dob3rman

here is a list of ports that are filtered at the modem level for standard tier OOL. (taken from a query using SNMP)
(incoming): 80-tcp, 8080-tcp, 1080-tcp, 3128-tcp, 6588-tcp
(incoming & outgoing): 25-tcp
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata