spc
Search similar:

uniqs
baka
join:2012-09-23

1 edit

baka

[AZ] SB6120 Provisioning

I've been noticing that my current SB5120 is cutting in and out (probably from old age) and wanted to install a SB6120 I had sitting around (new in box). I called support to get it provisioned, but they were having issues connecting to it and scheduled a tech to come out to take a look. A tech came out today and tried to provision it, but it failed again (lights cycled from receive-send-online-repeat). He believes it is a faulty modem because all my signal levels look good and that my SB5120 provisioned right away when he re-installed it again.

Before I go and purchase a DPC3010/SB6180, I just wanted to make sure that the firmware didn't affect the provisioning (checking the firmware just occurred to me after he left).

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB6120-1.0.1.8-SCM02-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number:
Firmware Build Time: Apr 22 2009 12:15:22
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

1 edit

m8trix

its a older firmware but i dont think that would prevent it from starting up and provisioned,cause normally the firmware will update after it provisions during the maintenance window. i would be a little concerned that your 5120 keeps cutting in and out and just woundering if there is a bigger issue. what are the signals like on the 5120

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by m8trix:

its a older firmware but i dont think that would prevent it from starting up and provisioned,cause normally the firmware will update after it provisions during the maintenance window. i would be a little concerned that your 5120 keeps cutting in and out and just woundering if there is a bigger issue. what are the signals like on the 5120

It's an old firmware that was WELL known for not syncing up with many CMTSs that had updated software 2-3 years ago.

The modem firmware can't be updated unless it syncs.
baka
join:2012-09-23

baka

Signal Readings
Here are my signal readings with the SB5120.

So it sounds like a chicken and egg situation regarding the firmware then? I won't be able to upgrade the firmware without it syncing, but it won't sync because the firmware is bugged.

Is there a way to update the firmware myself? Or am I SOL and should start looking for a new one?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by baka:

Is there a way to update the firmware myself? Or am I SOL and should start looking for a new one?

Message odog See Profile, he may have advice or a solution.

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy to baka

Anon

to baka
said by baka:

Here are my signal readings with the SB5120.

So it sounds like a chicken and egg situation regarding the firmware then? I won't be able to upgrade the firmware without it syncing, but it won't sync because the firmware is bugged.

This is one of the main reasons the 6120 was short lived and was replaced with the 6121.. 6120 was a always buggy..

I would get a 6180 or Cisco 3010. They also bond twice as many channels on the downstream.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

6120 and 6121 are the same modem,same guts and firmware, the just revised the shell