spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Finn

join:2012-07-03

Is it just me or...

Has Hughesnet has been crappier than usual lately? The last few weeks it seems no matter when I get online, I have to refresh the page 5+ times just to load a single page. Trying to join a multiplayer game is practically out of the question, I just can't connect unless I spend an hour babysitting the program. I've tried using the default DNS, Google DNS, and Open DNS and there was no noticeable difference. I've tried with "Turbopage" on and off.

Is it just me?

tgermon

join:2007-12-31
Vanceboro, NC

No, I have been having those issues also, especially the wife's facebook games. Slow speeds, some The connection was reset errors. It got better the end of last week, but today, The connection was reset errors have been very bad. I always run with the turbo page off, it usually runs smoother with it off.

tchiz

@direcpc.com
reply to Finn

Not just you.
With wireless router - without router.
Turbo enabled - disabled.
All day today. Have to refresh/reload again and again.
With Turbo enabled I often get the yellow status light/red flag
but even disabled the speed are so slow everything times out.
Pages don't load or half load. Same with my email - keeps timing out. I first had this problem 5 - 6 months ago. Things got better, but today is the worst experience so far. Excruciating. Typical of my experience with Hughsnet though.
tchiz

abeconnally

@direcpc.com

it's not just you. I can't even get google.com to load. In fact, I can't get anything on google to load, not gmail, not search, not accounts, nothing.

I have tried everything I can think of, turbopage on and off, DNS servers, etc, turning the modem off, with and without a router, everything. With and without the Hughes proxies. It is soooooo frustrating.

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Finn

Me as well.. The days where I cannot load anything throughout the entire day until free time comes around in the morning. When we try re-registering modem or leave the modem off for 10 minutes it fixes problem until the next day at the same exact time that we reset the modem.. I have tried using HN's website responsive performance test, I get great results of say around 7 seconds of loading witch is a complete lie cause when i do testing I watch it and it Downloads the picture super slow.

Nothings wrong with our service, its got a new modem and nothing is damaged, everything is checked over and over to see if anythings wrong except for the equipment on the satellite dish and its not the weather and its not the weather at the NOC.. It has come to my attention that it is not congestion, it is HN throttling us on purpose possibly cause they are pushing us to the new 9200 Gen4 service witch we cannot afford. This is the worst service I ever seen, and why do I say this because when the problems are active the speed can be so much worse than dial up and HN is doing this on purpose and we all know it.
--
HN7000S/ 1 watt/ pro plus edition/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ 1-2 pc's on wireless D-Link router with password

Miss Match

join:2011-02-24
reply to Finn

My connection has been MUCH poorer than usual this week, and only usable in random spurts this weekend. Earlier today even text only sites were too much. I've just kept my laptop closed. There's no point in bothering, when it's like this; but it's weird. Usually my connection degrades in the evening during peak hours, and the crappiness creeps in gradually. This week, it's been like someone flipped a switch. Everything is fine one minute, then too weak to do anything the next, and it's all random. It might happen in the evening. It might happen in the morning.

It just goes on and off all day. Oh, well.

tgermon

Vanceboro, NC
reply to Finn

The last week I have been getting the connection to server was reset while the page was loading error very regular starting at 6:30 pm to bed time every night, but the download speeds seems to be up to par at night. Does the same with turbo page on or off, same with firefox or IE. The connection has none to very few problems all day up to that time. The facebook games work fine during the day. Called hughesnet last night. They had me reset the modem and restart the pc, but tonight I still have the same errors. Does anybody else get the connection was reset errors?

Finn

join:2012-07-03

Since my initial post I've noticed my connection has been a little better, but I still am getting random disconnections and VERY poor downstream bandwidth. I expect this during evening hours, but even during morning and noonish I still pull only around 40K/sec with turbopage disabled and I get consistent timeouts. There are times when I pull my "normal" 200-300K/sec, but it's sporadic at best. When I enable turbopage I usually get a 2-4K/sec trickle, but I get far less timeouts.

I'm considering getting a phone line and having a dialup connection just so I can have a more reliable connection to play my games on.

... I just realized what a sad statement that is...

Mafia

@direcway.com

Typical Mafia tactics, when a new service is offered to replace another, they purposely deteriorate the older service.

Its as easy as downgrading the fiber networks at the datacenter which feed hughesNets HN 9000 services.

Or it could be they are adding Gen 4 users on top of the already strained servers which HN 9000 users are own!

tgermon

Vanceboro, NC
reply to Finn

Hey, Mafia, I was thinking the same way you are about purposely deteriorate the old service. Well Sara, from the hughesnet forum, is going to check into my problem on Monday. It's weird not be able to hardly browse but doing a download my speed is normal.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

So far I've seen no change in performance.

If you were to look through the years of threads here you would find that there are ALWAYS Hughes users experiencing slowdowns. Just as there are always others at the same time not experiencing them.

The reasons vary from changes in load balancing across the gateways, poor-performing gateways, and issues at the customer end. They typically go away, but not often in a hurry.

Also in reading back through threads you will find that a significant number of those posting about slowdowns think it is something deliberate on Hughes end. They don't mention that when speeds return to normal.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

Hairlesgomer

@69.197.220.x
reply to Finn

I've had the same issues with HN for months. Dial-up speeds during peak hours; iffy all the rest of the day and night. Max speed I ever get is 0.35 Mb/sec on the 1 Mb/sec plan, and around 0.025 - 0.035 Mb/sec during peak hours.
I've been trying out a WISP modem for the past two weeks, and while it has its moments also, overall it is much faster than HN for less than half the price. I get from 0.5 Mb/sec to 1.5 Mb/sec routinely. It has a 3GB/month limit for $30/month. Usually we stay under 3 GB/month. If we go over, it's $10/GB add'l, but will still be cheaper than HN, and faster. HN is on the way out. Not interested in Gen4 since I have this alternative.

Expand your moderator at work

Doc Lithius

join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI
reply to Finn

Re: Is it just me or...

Alright. This is bull donk. Absolute, unadulterated bull donk.

Tonight has been an especially bad night for this particular HN9000 user. Small files are loading extremely slowly, I'm completely unable to access Tumblr or the Rockman Perfect Memories forums -- two places I've been frequenting obsessively lately (the former just gives be a plain white page while the latter never loads), and all the rest of the web pages on the net are running far, far below even the worst of the worst connection speeds I've been getting lately.

I'd love to say "this is unacceptable," but you know what? As a loyal Hughesnet customer, I have absolutely no choice but to accept it. Because, due to where I live, there is absolutely no feasible alternative. Though given the horrendous speeds I'm getting tonight, dial-up is starting to seem like a feasible option...
--
ISP: HughesNet Satellite Internet
Modem Model: HN9000
Service Plan: Grandfathered ProPlus -- 425 MB + 100 MB/day, 1050 MB total, 1.6 Mbps DL; 250 Kbps UL)

Heh213

join:2012-06-16
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

said by Doc Lithius:

I'd love to say "this is unacceptable," but you know what? As a loyal Hughesnet customer, I have absolutely no choice but to accept it. Because, due to where I live, there is absolutely no feasible alternative. Though given the horrendous speeds I'm getting tonight, dial-up is starting to seem like a feasible option...

Quality has had some decent spikes of being fairly useless, working fine (well... usable) for me maybe 80% of the time.

You might actually have better luck with dial up if you disable picture loading and JavaScript considering how the sat has been behaving.

I'd try that as an experiment and then download things at night, but I don't have a phone line any more.

Gavin5

join:2012-10-03
canada
reply to Finn

Yes, Also i have faced on these problem. You are not the one who has fallen in these problems.

Doc Lithius

join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI
reply to Finn

You know something? I just recently noticed that videos (such as ones on YouTube) are not loading as quickly as they should be. Even during the off hours of the day.

For example, I tried to watch a 240p resolution video on YouTube today. Normally, the video loads faster than it plays and I have no pauses. Lately, however? The video loads so slowly that it pauses every few seconds. This shouldn't be happening.

If this is the game that Hughesnet wants to play, then so be it. I sincerely think dial-up is, in fact, starting to become a viable option at this point. I'm certainly not going to sink even more small fortunes into this Gen4 crap when the current generation is working so poorly. They'll have to forcibly remove me, if they really want to go this route. Not to mention that the lack of free download time is actually pretty damn crippling for what I do. (I'm currently trying to download the entire 25GB World of Warcraft game client because my Mists of Pandaria discs simply refuse to read on the computer I want to install it on. I blame the DVD drive itself.)
--
ISP: HughesNet Satellite Internet
Modem Model: HN9000
Service Plan: Grandfathered ProPlus -- 425 MB + 100 MB/day, 1050 MB total, 1.6 Mbps DL; 250 Kbps UL)

Hairlesgomer

@69.197.220.x
reply to Finn

Canceled HN Monday. India transferred me to subscriber service in Texas, whereupon the agent tried to convince me to subscribe to Gen4: 10X faster and $50/month, he said. Of course, the $50 rate is only good for about a month, then it's $60 (he didn't mention that).

If the 10Mb/sec advertised speed performs like the old plan, I would expect to see about 0.3 Mb/sec actual speed during peak hours. I'm getting better than that with my WISP modem, and about 3-5X that when it's performing best. Even if I exceed the 3GB/month allowance and have to pay $10/GB for overage, I'm still happy with the WISP. Will not miss HN.

Miss Match

join:2011-02-24
reply to Miss Match

Is anyone else still having issues? I've had some stable nights, but my connection is still really bad--CONSTANT connection reset/connection timed out/web acceleration errors, turbopage going down and taking everything with it, speeds about a notch above dial-up, etc. all day. I've gotten used to this sort of thing happening in the evening, but it's become an all day affair.

I dread calling tech support, but without the option to upgrade, dial up is looking like an appealing alternative. :\