All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

[DIRECTV] directv install in apartment building

Does directv have to run wire through building? Can they install on a pole and run through windows like dish network has agreed to do with my landlord?
I really want sunday ticket but my landlord refuses to allow holes drilled in her buildings.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

you can get Sunday Ticket Online

»www.directv.com/DTVAPP/c ··· overview

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

will they install through windows like dish does?
Also will online include red zone and game mix?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
Yes. Usually the installers of satellite equipment will agree to the installation policies of the landlord or apartment manager. If Dish is allowed to do it one way, and it works, than a DirecTV installer will do the same. The installation technician may have to get special parts to do the job, but it should be an acceptable expenditure of the installation allowance they get. After all, if they will not cooperate, Dish may get all the customers of pay TV at your apartment complex.

Does Dish use a spacer at the top or bottom of the window with a hole in it for the cable? Is Dish drilling through a window frame? We used to have many satellite dishes mounted on poles, located in non landscaped areas, at my apartment complex. The apartment manager did designate exactly where on the exterior walls cable holes could be made. That way certain electrical and structural components could be avoided by the drilling.

You have to get NFL Sunday Ticket to get Game Mix.
You have to get NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX to add Red Zone internet service.

Storm97
Premium Member
Manteca, CA

Storm97 to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
DirecTV CAN do a pole mount and use flat cables in a window frame to get service into your apartment. There are only a few limitations that prevent either of these... Depending what state you live in, the installer may have to call in a utility locate which could take 24-48 hours before he is allowed to dig a pole for you. Also, the flat cable is not the greatest option, as eventually with windows opening and closing on it repeatedly; it will fail and have to be replaced.

Other than that, you should have no issues and get your Sunday Ticket!

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

the dish is another problem. The landlord says that they don't allow large dishes and that the dish network small dish is the ONLY sixe they will allow.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

2 edits

pende_tim

Premium Member

The FCC says differently than your landlord.
They have regulations the prohibit banning dishes smaller (edit) than a certain size. The regulation says dishes that are 1 meter (39") in diameter or smaller must be allowed. The largest dish DirecTV uses is the HD dish which is 36" x 22" so it is 3" smaller than the max size covered by the FCC rules. Therefore the DirecTV HD dish is small enough to be OK.

»www.myrateplan.com/sat/c ··· ndos.php

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

So I could go around my landlord? Couldn't they evict me?
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

»www.sbca.com/access-tv/S ··· lyer.pdf
»www.sbca.com/assets/pdf/ ··· eet.html
»www.fcc.gov/guides/over- ··· ces-rule

You can file a petition with the FCC to have your landlord's rule challenged BEFORE installation:

Q: How do I file a petition or request a waiver at the Commission?
A: There is no special form for a petition. You may simply describe the facts, including the specific restriction(s) that you wish to challenge. If possible, include contact information such as telephone numbers for all parties involved, if available, and attach a copy of the restriction(s) and any relevant correspondence. If this is not possible, be sure to include the exact language of the restriction in question with the petition. General or hypothetical questions about the application or interpretation of the rule cannot be accepted as petitions. To file a Petition for Waiver, follow the requirements in Section 1.4000(c) of the rule. The local government, community association or landlord requesting the waiver must demonstrate "local concerns of a highly specialized or unusual nature."

Petitions for declaratory rulings and waivers must be served on all interested parties. For example, if a homeowners' association files a petition seeking a declaratory ruling that its restriction is not preempted and is seeking to enforce the restriction against a specific resident, service must be made on that specific resident. The homeowners' association will not be required to serve all other members of the association, but must provide reasonable, constructive notice of the proceeding to other residents whose interests foreseeably may be affected. This may be accomplished, for example, by placing notices in residents' mailboxes, by placing a notice on a community bulletin board, or by placing the notice in an association newsletter. If a local government seeks a declaratory ruling or a waiver from the Commission, the local government must take steps to afford reasonable, constructive notice to residents in its jurisdiction (e.g., by placing a notice in a local newspaper of general circulation). Proof of constructive notice must be provided with a petition. In this regard, the petitioner should provide a copy of the notice and an explanation of where the notice was placed and how many people the notice reasonably might have reached.

Finally, if a person files a petition or lawsuit challenging a local government's ordinance, an association's restriction, or a landlord's lease, the person must serve the local government, association or landlord, as appropriate. You must include a "proof of service" with your petition. Generally, the "proof of service" is a statement indicating that on the same day that your petition was sent to the Commission, you provided a copy of your petition (and any attachments) to the person or entity that is seeking to enforce the antenna restriction. The proof of service should give the name and address of the parties served, the date served, and the method of service used (e.g., regular mail, personal service, certified mail).

All allegations of fact contained in petitions and related pleadings before the Commission must be supported by an affidavit signed by one or more persons who have actual knowledge of such facts. You must send an original and two copies of the petition and all attachments to:

Secretary, Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20554
Attention: Media Bureau

A properly filed petition with the required notifications may be enough to get your landlord to be more reasonable. The petition may cause them to consult an attorney, who might point out that some of their restrictions are illegal and that there is a high probability there will be a ruling against them. The size restriction is especially weak in my view. I would not be surprised if a kickback from a local DishNetwork installer was involved.

Your situation is somewhat amusing to me. I have seen apartment buildings in Atlanta, Georgia where very sturdy exterior satellite antenna mounts are used on all kinds of walls. The antennas are positioned 20, 30, 40, and 50 feet above driveways, walkways, and other open areas. They are cantilevered in place. The cable access holes are drilled through all kinds of materials. Usually the installer puts a sleeve in the hole, puts weatherproof grommets on both sides, and seals the installation up with outdoor weather resistant sealant. There is not going to be any water, bug, or other intrusion through the installation holes. Yes, the antenna could get torn off the side of the building, during a F4 or F5 tornado. I guess when landlords hate the local cable company's TV offerings and service as much as the tenants, they allow innovative but safe satellite antenna installations.
moes
Premium Member
join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

moes to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
I would not risk fighting it for exactly that reason.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
It may help if you have a nice friendly one-one conservation with him and point out the FCC regulation. He may not be aware of the rules or the actual size of the DirecTV dish.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

It's not up to them. It's the corporation that owns the complex that makes the rules. The landlord wants to allow directv but the coporation won't let them. Something about not wanting more than one dish and holes in the buildings. Plus it has to be the size of the dish network dish not any larger.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

First, the person you are dealing with is not the landlord, they are the property manager. Landlord and owner would be the same. That is the corporation.

Does the apartment building or apartment complex have a main DishNetwork satellite antenna installation that is designed to serve all the apartments? Or does each apartment have to contract with DishNetwork on their own and get their own antenna? Your description, of only one antenna per building, sounds like what is known as a master or main antenna with distribution from it to multiple apartments. If that is the situation, I am not sure what legal rules would apply to compel the owners to allow DirecTV.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

All I was told is that it had to be on a pole on the side of the building where no one can see it and they can't drill holes in the walls.
Also I was told that the directv dish was too large according to the corporation. Plus no one in the complex I live at has a dish.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

You can challenge them on the antenna size with the FCC regulation allowing a 1 meter antenna diameter. The DirecTV antenna is 22.5 in. x 32.5 in = approximately 731.5 square inches. The DishNetwork antenna is 23.8”h x 30.9"w= approximately 735.42 square inches. They are about the same size. You may have to use, or make, a close fitting window spacer block to allow the antenna cable to go into the apartment. The other option is the special flat window cable Storm97 mentioned.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Should I risk getting evicted? Also I believe they are referring to the three lnb or 5 lnb dishes. They claim dish has a one-lnb dish plus something about line of sight for dish only but I don't think that is possible.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

The line of sight issue might be relevant. DishNetwork and DirecTV satellites are in different locations in outerspace relative to any particular location on Earth. It could be that in order to get a stable signal the DirecTV pole/antenna placement would have to be placed in one of the common areas that the FCC regulations deal with. The DishNetwork pole/antenna may be able to be located within the no restriction area described by the FCC regulation. I am not allowed to have satellite TV because my apartment is located on the North side of the apartment building, is situated below a huge concrete/steel retaining wall, and dense tree line. To get a good satellite signal would require placing the pole about 30 feet to the side of the building in a definite common area. In fact it would be right next to the entrance roadway, making it vulnerable to being collided with.

It might be wise for you to contact a local DirecTV installer and pay them to do a detailed site survey. Make it explicitly clear to them that you are only paying for information about exactly where the pole and antenna would need to go to get consistently good signal reception. I do not know if you should explain that you need the detailed installation data to challenge an apartment owners restrictions on DirecTV installations. You do not want them bending the truth just to make a future sale. You need the absolute highest integrity about the data concerning placement.

You can also go to this website »www.sadoun.com/Sat/Insta ··· ator.htm and get a rough idea of where the pole might be placed depending on the satellites needed to be used. At the bottom of the pull down list of individual satellites is a list for multi LNB antennas from DirecTV and DishNetwork.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to mikedz4

MVM

to mikedz4
quote:
Should I risk getting evicted?
Only you can answer this....
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to mikedz4

to mikedz4
Why don't you save yourself the trouble and get Sunday Ticket Online?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
I personally would give up Sunday ticket as opposed to getting evicted (especially if you cannot afford an attorney).

In Massachusetts, the landlord must allow the cable TV provider access to the building if one or more tenants requests cable. I live in a duplex and I have an old DirecTV dish on my roof from having DTV but have since switched to Comcast since it was cheaper to bundle TV with Internet and phone.
rscalzo
join:2006-07-07
Epping, NH

rscalzo

quote:
The rule applies to viewers who place video antennas on property that they own and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna The rule applies to viewers who place video antennas on property that they own and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna[/quote}

You better read the law. It applies only to buildings you own or occupy on a cooperative basis such as a co-op or condo. It does not apply to a apartment building.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

1 edit

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

What I am talking about is cable providers (not Sattellite) and it is a state regulation in Mass. I saw it is some legal aid/tenants rights guide.

Edit: I found a link to an attorney's website that cites the state cable TV law. Scroll down to the Sattellite/cable section.
»www.gis.net/~groucho/lan ··· ord.html

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to rscalzo

Premium Member

to rscalzo
said by rscalzo:

quote:
The rule applies to viewers who place video antennas on property that they own and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna The rule applies to viewers who place video antennas on property that they own and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna[/quote}

You better read the law. It applies only to buildings you own or occupy on a cooperative basis such as a co-op or condo. It does not apply to a apartment building.

It does apply to apartments also, as long as it is in an area that you have control over such as a patio or balcony.
rscalzo
Epping, NH

rscalzo

You control access but not ownership such as applies to a condo/coop. their is NO mutual ownership implied in an apartment. While you can put it on the balcony and not permanently mounted, drilling holes in the structure isn't going to be permitted. Kiss the security deposit goodbye when the entry holes are repaired when you vacate. Slipping the cable under the window might work IF your balcony faces in the proper direction. Mounting on a wall or the roof will never be allowed if the landlord resists.

Either way, it's a Federal law. Don't bother filing in the city because they don't have jurisdiction. you have to file in Federal Court. by the time it's scheduled, you'll be too old to care.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

What I am saying is under Massachusetts state law (if I am reciting the regulation correctly) is that the landlord of an apartment complex or other rental housing must grant a cable provider access to the building if one or more tenants requests cable television service. As who pays the install costs is a whole different ball game. What I am basically saying is this rule applies to cable television providers and does not apply to satellite (as cable providers are regulated by the state DPU).
rscalzo
Epping, NH

rscalzo to mikedz4

to mikedz4

What I am basically saying is this rule applies to cable television providers and does not apply to satellite (as cable providers are regulated by the state DPU).

Correct. That is governed by state law. Plus it involves only one drop into the structure.