spc
uniqs
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs to danny2k12

to danny2k12

Re: [Northeast] Configuration Help with Actiontec, User router a

in case it matters, the router entry with the mac address, in fact belongs to an apple device.

Company Apple, Inc.
Prefix 7C:C5:37

In case that sets off any idea's or is helpful.

danny2k12
@verizon.net

danny2k12

Anon

Click for full size
Thank you all for your suggestions. I checked the tradeoffs page and option #4 would work for me, I don't have STBs and I don't use VOD. But I assume in the current configuration it still won't work, because of the NIM100 WAN limitation, correct?

So back to the drawing board... Please let me know if the new configuration shown in the image would work with option #4, or this would be again an issue with the NIM100 as the Actiontec is not primary anymore? Maybe purchase another router/hub to put after NIM100 as I might need more LAN ports in that room?

Thanks again!

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

This will work, but you'll have to use option #5 even though you don't have STBs. The NIM-100 is a MOCA LAN device like STBs. Option #5 will provide the MOCA LAN bridge needed for the NIM-100.

danny2k12
@cogentco.com

danny2k12

Anon

said by More Fiber:

This will work, but you'll have to use option #5 even though you don't have STBs. The NIM-100 is a MOCA LAN device like STBs. Option #5 will provide the MOCA LAN bridge needed for the NIM-100.

Thanks More Fiber for the explanation. I'll try this configuration, although it seems that I'm running out of wired ports in the room with the ActionTec, as it requires 2 ports on each of the routers used for the bridge only... Will the ActionTec LAN ports still work with option #5? If they work, will they be on the same subnet or different? What about the subnet of the device after the NIM100?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by danny2k12 :

I'll try this configuration, although it seems that I'm running out of wired ports in the room with the ActionTec, as it requires 2 ports on each of the routers used for the bridge only

With option #5, only one LAN port is required on each router. Actiontec "LAN" to DDWRT WAN port. DDWRT LAN port to Actiontec WAN port.
said by danny2k12 :

Will the ActionTec LAN ports still work with option #5?

No. There providing WAN connectivity for the DDWRT router.
said by danny2k12 :

What about the subnet of the device after the NIM100?

The NIM100 is a bridge, not a router so any devices connected to it will be on the DDWRT LAN subnet.