uniqs
share rss forum feed

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

[Opinion] What Passbook needs to succeed...

This is my opinion, so please take as such...and leaving the flaming at home...

Passbook so far has been a bit of a FAIL out of the box.

•There are no vendors' coupons waiting on launch day. This is a missed opportunity because what could be greater on the launch weekend to go out shopping at the mall with your new iPhone and show it off by using a coupon from PB. I mean really Starbucks...total bonehead move on your part for not having this ready
    •The implication that you have to have an app installed to take advantage of a coupon/saver card/etc. In reading some articles that now is not the case--you can put coupons and cards into PB without having a corresponding app installed, but it's not intuitive. This is something that Apple has been known for the world over--making things easy to use out of the box without having to RTFM.
    •The only thing I can seem to find to populate my PB info are some kludgy sites that are not supported by Apple. This is just unacceptable...Apple should have a site like this ready to go from the start and some sort of guide to help those that can't figure PB out (there are plenty here)
    •Speaking of which...my iPhone 5 STILL doesn't display the PB section of the App Store after multiple reboots, that clock changey thingy, and a total restore to a new phone.

Perhaps Apple visits here and I hope they do because here's what I'd like to see from PB to make it even worth opening and not getting shoved to the back page of my apps:

Make it work on my damn iPhone 5!! That would be a start.
    •Make it aware of expiration dates. If a coupon is being offered...or a card for a free coffee (or whatever) and it has an expiration date--TELL ME. Have PB set a reminder to tell you when it's going to expire. How many coupons/offers/etc. have you had that you find after the offer is over? This would make the app for me.
    •Make it aware of where you are in relation to the vendor. If you bring up PB and you see that you have a Starbucks card that you want to use when you're away on business--have a choice to find where the nearest Starbucks is to you. Again more value presented makes me use it more.
    •Tie in other offers from the same vendor. If you have a Target coupon and you bring it up--it goes out to the web and finds another coupon(s) that Target is offering. It doesn't push it down my throat, but it gives me options
    •Allow anyone to easily create a card...or receive a card from a vendor...without having to jump through hoops. Apple is supposed to "just work"...so just do it already

If anyone has any constructive ideas, let's hear them.
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Used passbook this morning at the airport to display a United boarding pass ... Works great ... And is going to get better...:

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1
wished that all (most) merchants with key tags, etc., were ready on day #1...not the initial 7, or so

wished that you could scan in your key tag (like you can do with third party apps)

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by haroldo:

wished that you could scan in your key tag (like you can do with third party apps)

Yeah that would be cool...use your camera as a barcode scanner like some of the other apps. Then populate the PB coupon with the info.
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to BellBoy
Thanks to the Walgreens app (and not passbook app ) I have my Walgreens key tag in my Passbook.

Small victory (I regularly go to Rite Aid) but still

haroldo

united state
same here...it's really not very intuitive, nor easy to figure out. the average user will never bother with this app, unless it gets really easy to use

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
reply to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

Used passbook this morning at the airport to display a United boarding pass ... Works great ... And is going to get better...:

I dont understand how Passbook is better than the United app itself, especially when you have to install the app to use PB.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

haroldo

united state
On a one to one basis, it's not any better.
However...and theoretically, if you have 30-40 gift cards, movie passes, concert tickets, subscribe to coupons from various stores, airline boarding passes and a whole lot of other stuff, it's a great convenience.
But, if you don't have all this... or only have one or two gift cards, just stick them in your wallet and ignore Passbook.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to The Dv8or
said by The Dv8or:

said by dennismurphy:

I dont understand how Passbook is better than the United app itself, especially when you have to install the app to use PB.

Only 1 reason ... It shows up on the lock screen. To use the UA app, I have to unlock the phone, launch the app, click on mobile BP - all as I approach the TSA rentacop.

With passbook I don't even have to unlock - just swipe across the BP and it's open.

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by dennismurphy:

said by The Dv8or:

said by dennismurphy:

Only 1 reason ... It shows up on the lock screen. To use the UA app, I have to unlock the phone, launch the app, click on mobile BP - all as I approach the TSA rentacop.

With passbook I don't even have to unlock - just swipe across the BP and it's open.

Agreed. And that's one thing that actually works right now.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to BellBoy
one thing to note about coupons and on screen barcodes at least. if the store does not have an optical scanner the phone cannot be scanned.

two types of scanner exist basically, many supermarkets only have laser based systems even in their gun based systems. Lasers work by reading the reflection of the beam itself off the UPC.

Optical systems however will read a phone because they use a very basic digital camera that actually "sees" the UPC.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to BellBoy
I think this will be just as big a Newsstand.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

•There are no vendors' coupons waiting on launch day. This is a missed opportunity because what could be greater on the launch weekend to go out shopping at the mall with your new iPhone and show it off by using a coupon from PB. I mean really Starbucks...total bonehead move on your part for not having this ready

Weren't Target's coupons ready to go on launch day or was it the day after?
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to BellBoy
While I did not have the "Can't Access Store" message issues with my Passbook on my 4S, I have yet to see a "Passbook section" in the app store. I was wondering about that. Since the initial button within Passbook to take me there I have no idea how to find more apps that are Passbook enabled.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

said by BellBoy:

It's certainly possible that some coupons were available on launch day. The problem is...that neither you or I KNOW that they were available on launch day. This is a marketing blunder on every business that currently supports (or plans to support) PB as well as Apple for not pushing this out to users in an email blast, a dedicated page for this at Apple.com, or ANYTHING that would have been helpful to get people to start using this from day one.

The fact that people are wondering about why/when/how they would use it is a UX catastrophe for Apple, IMO. This is not the Apple of Steve Jobs and Tim should get his shit together. Steve would have anyone he needed to fix the problem working 80 hours STRAIGHT to get it right.

I'm just not getting a good feeling about how this is being handled--the whole iPhone 5 launch (maps, PB, iOS issues, hardware issues--and goodness only knows what else).
--

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
said by BellBoy:

said by Nezmo:

said by BellBoy:

It's certainly possible that some coupons were available on launch day. The problem is...that neither you or I KNOW that they were available on launch day. This is a marketing blunder on every business that currently supports (or plans to support) PB as well as Apple for not pushing this out to users in an email blast, a dedicated page for this at Apple.com, or ANYTHING that would have been helpful to get people to start using this from day one.

I agree totally. I've already had to guide several users through this as they hit the same WTF trying to understand it all.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

haroldo

united state
Heck, even a 10% coupon for use in the Apple Store, no?

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by haroldo:

Heck, even a 10% coupon for use in the Apple Store, no?

Now you're just talking crazy.

Apple would be the first ones to push others into offering coupons on launch day...but at their own store? Puleeeeze! The only discounts they ever give were at Christmas (Black Friday) and those were paltry at best.
--

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

Make it work on my damn iPhone 5!! That would be a start.

Well...what ever was busted is now fixed (for me). The PB page now displays it's (crappy) selection of apps that support PB. I'm guessing it was a store issue that didn't get fixed until after the weekend.
--

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to BellBoy
Starbucks have updated their app for Passbook now.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
said by Nezmo:

I was playing around with this the other day and added a Target coupon. The coupon expired on 9/28 yet it is still front and center in my PB...

Any idea how to delete stuff??
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
said by dellsweig:

said by Nezmo:

I was playing around with this the other day and added a Target coupon. The coupon expired on 9/28 yet it is still front and center in my PB...

I noticed that too despite it's set to auto update.

To delete hit the little i and the card flips and you'll see the del icon.

My Starbucks card balance did not update on the Passbook until I forced it to update from the app. It may just not update right away or it's teething issues.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
said by Nezmo:

said by dellsweig:

said by Nezmo:

I noticed that too despite it's set to auto update.

To delete hit the little i and the card flips and you'll see the del icon.

My Starbucks card balance did not update on the Passbook until I forced it to update from the app. It may just not update right away or it's teething issues.

Got it (delete) - nice animation (shredder)
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to BellBoy
They've added a few apps - Starbucks, EventBrite, AirBNB - and a short explanation on how it should work... so I guess it's better than it was.

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by Stacy:

They've added a few apps - Starbucks, EventBrite, AirBNB - and a short explanation on how it should work... so I guess it's better than it was.

Only...how many weeks late...??

'Bout freakin' time.
--

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

and still very little to choose from.

I really don't need all these event apps but I wouldn't mind having a real PetCo, PetSmart, Pathmark, or CVS PassBook app.

Nezmo
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to BellBoy
You would think at least many of the stores with loyalty cards would use this as an opportunity to update their apps and get a little advertising from doing so. There are boat loads of stores with apps with coupons too.

As long as iOS 6 was available to developers I think they are dopes for not acting sooner.

I am sure Passbook will gain traction but it's real slow out of the gate.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
@ Stacy and Nezmo:

Yes, yes, yes, yes and f**king YES!

Jeez I wish they'd get it in gear for us. I'm really disappointed in this whole Passbook experience.

haroldo

united state
reply to BellBoy
quote:
In initial test run, Apple's Passbook accounts for 12% of MLB e-tickets
By AppleInsider Staff

Major League Baseball has been quick to adopt Apple's new Passbook digital ticketing system, and the league has been "floored" with the initial results.

Bob Bowman, CEO of MLB Advance Media, told MarketWatch that in an initial run of four teams for the final two weeks of the season, 1,500 e-ticket buyers chose to have their tickets delivered via Apple's Passbook for iOS 6. In all, 12 percent of e-ticket buyers opted to receive their tickets in Passbook.

"That adoption rate really floored us — there is no question our fans want digital tickets," Bowman said. "Fans can use the tickets, forward them to a friend, resell them, or even donate them to charity — and they never get lost or left at home."...

»appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/ ··· -tickets

just wondering...does a family of 4 need 4 iPhones or could one PassBook account accommodate multiple tickets?

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH
said by haroldo:

just wondering...does a family of 4 need 4 iPhones or could one PassBook account accommodate multiple tickets?

I'm wondering the same thing. My wife doesn't, and never will, have an iPhone.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.