uniqs
share rss forum feed

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

1 recommendation

reply to Jan Janowski

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 --- What benifits over W7-64?

I loaded up Windows 8 RTM Pro. All I see were reduced features, at a glance:

- No more Media Center for free/included (I watch TV on my computer)
- Personalization settings removed. I hate the ridiculously large window borders/title bar size I can no longer edit those easily.
- Start menu. I used it quite a bit; search; pinning, shortcuts to my personal directories & system tools, etc.
- Native DVD playback

Big frickin' whoop at the pcpro.co.uk article. Native USB 3 support and new task manager, nice, but all the rest of the stuff geared to mobile, touchscreen & "cloud"? My PC is not a phone or tablet.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL

USB3 support? I'm using that in W7-64 already. What does it add over W7 now, or, are you talking about how speed test programs can't track the USBV3 drives?
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

MM Blues

join:2001-10-27
Hightstown, NJ
reply to redxii

I happen to like the W8 Preview Version so far. It's not only a "tablet version" OS. You can easily access your desktop on your computer from the "home" screen.

It runs faster and crisper on my Dell laptop than any other version of windows so far (Intel 5 first generation, 8 GB memory, ATI 5400 series dedicated graphics)

As far as Windows Media Center goes, check here: »news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57445···preview/

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·SureWest Internet
reply to redxii

said by redxii:

My PC is not a phone or tablet.

There it is in a nutshell!
That UI "Metro" is NOT for desktops and only manages to annoy if not on a Tablet or touchscreen of some variant. I had it running and was not overly wowed by it.
--

Romney equals Epic Fail!

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1

said by spewak:

said by redxii:

My PC is not a phone or tablet.

There it is in a nutshell!
That UI "Metro" is NOT for desktops and only manages to annoy if not on a Tablet or touchscreen of some variant. I had it running and was not overly wowed by it.

Since the metro process seems to be crashing/broken on me now I'm realizing how important and integrated it is in Windows 8.

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC

When I can get a desk that looks like this, then touch computing will make a lot more sense to me.