uniqs

wesm
Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

wesm

Premium Member

[FiOS] Something positive

Considering the Internet was made for complaining, I thought I'd go against the grain and post something good...

I moved from my apartment with the shared ONT limiting me to 20/5 speeds--I know, first-world problems--and relatively poor video signal due to bad wiring in the building, to an apartment with dedicated fiber drops, the way the FiOS Gurus intended life. On the appointed install day, after I'd had to change the install three times due to complications with moving, the tech showed up 30 minutes early and ready to roll.

He quickly dispatched with mounting the ONT (that lacks any branding; doesn't say Verizon or Frontier on it) in the bedroom closet, getting the battery backup plug wired, and running coax to the one TV location I have. Everything went very smoothly and getting the actual hardware ready to go took about 90 minutes. Next, the part that I honestly thought would fall to pieces: activating service.

I wanted data on Ethernet and video on coax. The installer was hesitant, but agreed to ask when he called the FSC. I thought it was a good sign when he identified himself to the FSC engineer, said he needed to activate an ONT, and the FSC person replied "MoCA or Ethernet?" The installer replied with "Ethernet" and the engineer did his thing. Within minutes, everything transferred. They didn't even have to reactivate my CableCARDs or STB. It all worked within 15 minutes of the installer calling the FSC.

Of course, everything transferred exactly as I had it before, so now I'm on a shiny new ONT with 20/5. Bah. I called into sales to send back a couple of CableCARDs I'm no longer using and decided to ask about getting the Internet speed "fixed" since I'm no longer limited by the crappy shared ONT. She asked me what speed I wanted, up to 50/20. Unfortunately, their billing system wouldn't let me have 50/20--I'm not in Oregon--but I got 35/20 without an issue. Within hours, boom, I'm now on 35 download and it's rock solid.

So, denizens of /frontiernet, it can be done. Frontier can successfully pull off a move request, several move date changes, subsequent installation, and service upgrade. The service upgrade was even done by someone who claimed to not support FiOS (I always ask if the person who answers the phone can do FiOS things; the person who did my upgrade said she could do billing changes, just not anything else).
nightjars
join:2010-01-09
Bothell, WA

nightjars

I'm glad it's going well. I love my FiOS service, too!
tazeat
join:2004-10-22
Bothell, WA

tazeat to wesm

to wesm
I've enjoyed my fios in Redmond/Kirkland... Speed is great, definitely abuse the no caps.

My biggest issue is with the relatively poor peering to servers here in Seattle... 40ms to UW ee servers (it's what 3 miles away?), 35+ms to my seattle nuclear fallout server on expensive internap, it appears on a traceroute traffic likes to go through frontiernet.net servers in beaverton and/or california before getting to the internet then back here to seattle. Having had comcast for the last 10 years I always enjoyed less than 10ms pings to both so that's a little disappointing.