Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
kudos:2
reply to goalieskates

Re: Mozilla announces Firefox Health Report, will phone home ...

The fact something is free is a red herring.

How so? Just about every piece of software on my machine is free (OS included).

More important to me than free as in price is freedom of choice and control of my hardware. Mozilla gives us that because their code is 100% open-source. Microsoft, on the other hand, doesn't believe in such a concept (neither does Apple really).

As I said before, if you don't like this option, you can:

A) Disable it in the browser settings.

B) Browse the source code, find this part of the code, delete it and recompile the browser.

C) Wait for someone more technically inclined to do "B" for you.

But the bottom line is we have a lot of tin-foil hatters here in the security forums. You can never convince such conspiracy theorists that their theory is bunk, so it's not really worth trying.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
I've pretty sure that saying no (opt-out) of this will be similar to the beta testing arrangement (test pilot function) in that it still collects the info in a file.
Deleting this file with bleachbit also effects your user profile.
Not deleting the file means that all the data is but a user(s) action away from downloading all the info as if you never had the option.
Room for improvement i would say either for bleachbit and/or mozzilla to consider.

If firefox was to choose that opting-out would disable the function of collection and that it shipped opt-out with perhaps a sweetner of more skin/funtion etc then all would be well and no further scrutiny needed.

To whom are the "tin foil hatters comments directed to here.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TELUS
said by ashrc4:

I've pretty sure that saying no (opt-out) of this will be similar to the beta testing arrangement (test pilot function) in that it still collects the info in a file.

Firefox users will always be able to completely delete the data at any point in time.
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:18
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
said by chachazz:

Firefox users will always be able to completely delete the data at any point in time.

Oh really ?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to antdude
Opt-out vs. opt-in: whatever the function or its effects, the default settings will always be retained by most users, simply because most people use a software product as-is (other than perhaps tweaking a few cosmetic features whose controls are right in front of the user's nose). That's what a default is and why it exists. If a developer expends a lot of effort creating a reporting function, and if the products of that function are deemed important enough to the developers (for whatever reason) to create it in the first place, the decision will virtually always be to make it an opt-out function. That assures the greatest feedback of information, thus the greatest justification of the effort expended.

Software, open or closed source, that is written fully as a labor-of-love will result in a product that focuses simply on providing the best functionality for a user (as perceived by the designers). When software creation begins taking non-user financial support into consideration, the focus begins to change as pleasing the providers of that support must come into play. The greater the financial stakes become, the greater the perturbation will be regarding what functions are provided by designers, why, and how. From the outside (and often even on the inside), it becomes impossible to fully understand whether a new function is created to provide a truly better product for the user or to enhance the financial setting of the situation, partly because new functions are added upon a foundation of old ones (and absorb the governing philosophy behind those). For example, at some point it becomes impossible to answer whether a browser has been made "slick-looking" as a genuine feature for the sake of users, or to better market the product to improve the finances of the entire operation... one reason feeds into the other. Likewise for the phoning home of technical data or the use of "featured default" elements or services (such as flavor of search engine) provided by outside "paying" providers.

At any point in time, a product "is what it is". The 'why's' become indecipherable conjecture. Users have the right and obligation to let the designers and others know their feelings about product functions and their perceived effects. But users will never fully determine why a new function was included (on a user vs. financial-interests basis), partly because even the designers don't necessarily know (the two reasons being interwoven over time). That said, as a product line's development over time becomes more dominated by financial considerations, the risk of money-driven functionality decisions increases, and users feel that instinctively. At the end of the day, all a user can do is make their beliefs known and to vote with their feet in what they choose to use.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
said by Blackbird:

At the end of the day, all a user can do is make their beliefs known and to vote with their feet in what they choose to use.

Yup.

I see this all the time in a vendor support forum I frequent. "Why doesn't ABC Company add this feature/fix this one?" blah blah blah. Then some time later "ABC Company sucks and I'll never buy their products again".

ABC Company may indeed "suck" and one may switch. Then again XYZ Company may suck more.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6
reply to Blackbird
That's a bleak assessment. It makes me question even more why I still have a computer. The answer is really bleak: because I feel that I must have one. I hate that feeling. I resent so strongly what the dream of the internet in the beginning has evolved into. I hate that I am addicted to the internet. I hate that I see no feasible way out and this, of course, is what has been planned for and intended all along by those who so easily manipulate us all.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by Mele20:

That's a bleak assessment.

Color me cynical but I see it as a realistic one. Not just in regard to internet companies but across the board.

I hate that I am addicted to the internet.

I'm not addicted! And yes denial is just a river in Egypt
--

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

ABC Company may indeed "suck" and one may switch. Then again XYZ Company may suck more.

Exactly like with the coming elections... but with only one difference - there is only two candidates to choose from
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by OZO:

..there is only two candidates to choose from

I've been seeing TV ads for a 3rd party candidate but your point is taken.
--

bitemeboy

join:2005-04-06
Otego, NY
said by StuartMW:

said by OZO:

..there is only two candidates to choose from

I've been seeing TV ads for a 3rd party candidate but your point is taken.

Are these the 3rd party candidates you've seen on TV?

I believe these two candidates are from your area.
--
The monkey took...One look at Jim... And threw the peanuts...Back at him
..............................................Burma Shave...............................................

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by bitemeboy:

I believe these two candidates are from your area.

Someone has been stalking

The one on the left is me. The other guy... I wouldn't vote for him if I were you
(Sorry GD)

BTW we moved that trail sign-in box from further up the trail to there. It was "fun" digging the hole.

FYI the photo was taken by me--or rather my camera on self-timer.
--