Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

justchil3
Premium
join:2009-07-20
Charleston, WV

[Speed] Issues since 9/22 & 100mbit upgrade. Cross Lanes,WV

I'm at my wits end with this company and I need to vent before calling them... again. This should be in both speed and connectivity categories but I can't chose both.

I have had suddenlink for some time now. I had 20mbit... then upgraded to a docsis 3.0 modem and purchased 30mbit... it worked fine and I always got the speed I paid for! I can't remember any outages or problems in over a year I had 30mbit.

So they advertise 100mbit... I purchase it....

Speed -- I can't pull anywhere close to 100mbit. I have no splitters and a single line (internet only). While waiting several days on a tech to be sent out I purchased a new modem and have it provisioned (a newer model of the same doc3.0). It helped every so slightly (probably coincidence).

Tech comes out and determines my upstream is too "hot". He installed a splitter which has a -7db reading on the output. It helped some. I was pulling 60-70mbit most of the time -- for a few days.

I notice a huge slowdowns during the day... I feel lucky if I get 60. At night... at least for a couple nights after 11-12pm I'd pull 90-100.

This is using the Suddenlink speedtest. I can't get anywhere near that on any other test most of the time. I also test with downloading files from Usenet which is probably the most accurate way I have of testing my speed.

================================

Now I understand I jumped on this 100mbit bandwagon rather quickly... and this company has a history of taking it's sweet time providing the service they advertise... so I have been patient... but lets talk outages now...

=================================

My connection has been progressively worse this weekend.

Saturday morning it was down 3-5 hours (spoke with other folks on my street, tv/phone/internet all out at the same times mine were).

Since then it's been off and on. I'll be in the middle of something and my modem power-cycles. I call several people on my street to find out their phones are down etc...

I drove around and found a bucket truck working on the lines last night... so I expected things to be fixed today.

Well I've had at least 5 outages today... usually for just a long enough time to piss a person off.

==============

What do I do in this situation? I have spent 100$ on a new modem and countless hours just making sure my cable inside the house / computers are fine. Once I cool down a bit I'm going to call support again but I have no faith that they are going to be able to do anything for me... and to be honest the tech that was here was a cool guy but he didn't seem to have any faith his company could provide the service I am paying for either.

I know this sounds bad but I hope this issue becomes more wide-wide spread so more people will be upset and organize with me... so we can contact the media and maybe get something done about this.

I'll stop ranting now and hope someone in the area chimes in and has some information.

justchil3
Premium
Charleston, WV

If I can provide any information at all please let me know.

I monitor my modem signals... I troubleshooted everything I knew before the tech even got here.

I really think they weren't ready to sell this 100mbit speed option (and probably wont be anytime soon) on top of having some kind of line/equipment issues beyond where I live.

shelby10763

join:2005-03-12
Greenville, NC

I'm pretty sure that justchil hit the nail on the head with his prediction that they weren't ready for the 100mb.

I had all sorts of similar issues when I upgraded to the 50.

justchil3
Premium
Charleston, WV
reply to justchil3

Problem is I get too excited.

I upgraded to 50mbit one day... Everything was just fine! Then the next day or a few days after I purchased 100 as it was available.

I'm going to call and basically tell them I want to have "100mbit" but pay for 50 until I'm actually getting 100. I have no problem with their price but I'm not getting those speeds.... now even at off-peak hours.

If I have the time I will edit my OP and clean it up so it's not all disorganized.

Moostang

join:2009-03-24
Tyler, TX
reply to justchil3

How are you testing your 100mb connection because if you're just running tests to speedtest servers then I doubt you'll get anything close.

When I had the 107mb package my speeds were great when downloading actual files. I could get 100mb+ all day long but when I went to any speedtest I rarely got over a 60mb reading from them.

Intoxicoded

join:2011-05-02
USA
kudos:2

I had the same thing. You will never pull 100mb on their service. I too had no splitters and perfect levels. Techs told me the speedtest sites cant handle the speed, Which is a lie. They have oversold every market and cannot deliever that speed

Intoxicoded

join:2011-05-02
USA

They will also boast and tell you on the phone that they have the fastest internet in the country. But evidently they have not heard of comcast

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

Or fios

justchil3
Premium
Charleston, WV
reply to justchil3

I have tested multiple ways. I even repeated tests over and over trying out different splitters and such just to see if anything changed. I do see an slight increase with the nice splitter the tech installed as my signal was too strong I guess.

I've tested with:
Speedtest sites: Speakeasy, Speedtest.net, Suddenlinks own

Downloads:

Usenet which has more speed that 100mbit cable could ever touch.
FreeBSD mirrors hosted at several different high speed locations
WVU, MU Uni's (servers on backbone)
Multiple other random websites. All located on the east coast.

A few nights...before losing complete service for 4-6 hours I was pulling well over 100mbit on usenet. It would steady out almost exactly 107mbit and do so for 5gb files.

============

I'm STILL experiencing random disconnects. Modem power cycles when service drops. It's happened at least twice today already.

I have noticed after they "fixed" some lines or whatever was causing these outages my power levels have changed a bit.

My upstream power went from 36 to 37dBmV.
My downstream SNR went from 36 to 37dBmV.
My power levels increased. They were around 1-3 before tech installed splitter. Around negative 3-4 after.. and now they are negative 1-2.

I don't know if this small of a change is enough to even mean anything as I've noticed things do fluctuate a bit.

The tech put locks on the other outputs of the splitter so I'm unable to play around with different db of loss that the other ports provide

============

So in a nutshell.. as of this minute I'm still getting 5.2-6.8 average around 6.2MB/s (megabytes/s).

justchil3
Premium
Charleston, WV
reply to justchil3

Also, here are the log entries from the last "blip". It's literally only out for 1 minute tops... modem power cycles then I'm back online.

Others on my street are having the same thing happen at the same time... and quite frankly are probably tired of me asking.

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=************;CMTS-MAC=************;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=*************;CMTS-MAC=************;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

===================

I noticed the time is an hour and 10 minutes off if that matters.

Current Time and Date Sep 24 2012 17:47:43
It's currently 18:55

======================

Modem/Firmware details:

Model Name: SB6121
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.5.1-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 5.0
Firmware Build Time: Dec 21 2010 15:52:06

justchil3
Premium
Charleston, WV
reply to justchil3

I did read some past issues with firmware on these modems with Comcast... some recomend the Zoom 5341 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem 5341J but I really don't want to buy ANOTHER modem if it's not the issue.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
reply to justchil3

T4 timeouts will reboot your modem usually.

Also, 36 db is a little low on the upstream

justchil3
Premium
Charleston, WV

It's rebooting for sure.

If I remove the splitter (labeled -7db) the upstream falls to 31db.

Also the downstream levels to up to 4db.

I have a second splitter which isn't as nice as the one they provided but fairly new... my upstream goes to 41db and down levels range from -5 through -7.

justchil3
Premium
Charleston, WV
reply to justchil3

I did see a little better speed with the provided splitter. I was only getting in the 40's to low 50's... now I'm in the 60's and a little faster at night/early morning.

I'd like to try another splitter like they gave me but with the -3db output.

I took some photo's of the hookup... ignore my 20ft of cable coiled up... if this actually worked I'd shorten it to a few inches lol.

Here is the setup
-The tech installed the splitter outside in the box mounted to the house... but I moved it inside so it's easier to test/access.

»i.imgur.com/pqApt.jpg

splitter the provided

»i.imgur.com/ThF6E.jpg

my cheap splitter

»i.imgur.com/Dvtpe.jpg

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to justchil3

your ideal downstream is 0db, +/- about 7 or so is ok too. Those numbers on the splitter are what it will do to the downstream power levels.

From the pictures it looks like you are running through 2 splitters to get to the modem. If after 2 splitters your upstream is STILL in the low 30s, I would venture to guess that there could be a line issue. Anything less than around 30db upstream can give you troubles.

As to your question about fluctuation, you should see 1-2 pts variation depending on time of day/weather conditions. On that front you will only start to have issues when you see BIG swings. I have a main line amp that is out of spec again this summer and my upstream will swing as much as 15db (knocking me offline for hours until it cooled down again outside).
--
20/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

justchil3
Premium
Charleston, WV

Difference in splitters (none = directly wired to the drop coming in the house)

Upstream
None: 31db
-7db: 37db
2x: 41db

Downstream
None: 2-4db
-7db: -2db
2x: -4 through -6db

I notice a slight increase like I mentioned with the -7db splitter. I can't tell any difference so far adding another splitter.

So basically the tech installed the splitter to increase the upstream db... and it helped a little... but still not getting the speeds I'm paying for so I'm not sure where I can go from here.

I did a lot of reading/troubleshooting/time&money trying to solve this and I don't know what else to do other than downgrade to 50mbit or ask that they only charge me for 50mbit until they can actually provide what I'm paying for.

I have the most simple setup in the world... 1 line 1 router 1 computer. I even take the modem directly to the only drop in the house without the router to eliminate everything I can when I call tech support lol

justchil3
Premium
Charleston, WV

1 edit

They just started selling 100mbit here less than 2 weeks ago... I haven't had it that long... so it almost sounds like it was rolled out before anything was done to support it.

I have one friend that upgraded as well although he's roughly 15-20 miles away... and has the same issues with speed.

We've also compared signals/firmware (same modem/routers) etc...

It's just frustrating to bend over backwards troubleshooting and testing everything I have and everything I have access to and not get the same from my ISP. I think the problem in my area is lack of competition.

justchil3
Premium
Charleston, WV
reply to justchil3

I'm bouncing around at 70-90 right now. Checked out the signal and there is a slight difference...

0 dBmV -1 dBmV 0 dBmV 0 dBmV

Upstream 37dBmV

=============

Nothing has changed other than it's cooler outside and there probably aren't as many people using the internet here locally I'd assume.

Just an hour or two ago (whenever my last post was) it was:

-2 dBmV -2 dBmV -2 dBmV -2 dBmV

Upstream 37dBmV

==============

Downloading results through this period... you can clearly see it's getting faster...

Downloaded in 17 minutes 1 second at an average of 7.0 MB/s
Downloaded in 10 minutes 57 seconds at an average of 7.6 MB/s
Downloaded in 9 minutes 42 seconds at an average of 8.6 MB/s

justchil3
Premium
Charleston, WV
reply to justchil3

Speed going back down... signal remains exactly the same.

I'm done for the night... Getting kinda tired of messing with this stuff... going to give them another call tomorrow and see if there is any news.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

The upstream is still a little low with no splitters. It can work perfectly fine, but low. Those readings should be taken from the entry point so you can figure out if it's messed up outside (them) or inside (you).

Sounds also like you could just be on a node that can't handle getting that speed to you.

If it was me, I would just downgrade to the 50. I also have no need or desire for the 107 package, you may though.
--
20/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

moggy59

join:2012-08-20
Charleston, WV
reply to justchil3

I too am in the Cross lanes area.

I have been working with Suddenlink for several months to try to get a connection to my house that does not disconnect, tile images on the Television, etc.

They replaced the modem, had techs check the cable and signal levels, and checked the point of service to my house twice.

I have been working with a supervisor since 8/4/12 to get my issues resolved.

I just got an email that says they had several issues in my area and think they have it fixed...I hope so.

Maybe what they found wrong will help your connection too.

longgone

join:2000-12-30
Culloden, WV

1 edit
reply to justchil3

Hi Justchil.
Hope it goes better with the Highspeed.
Care to provide the pricing on the new speeds of 50 and 107?

longgone

Culloden, WV
reply to justchil3

I now have the 107/5, but unfortunately have experienced most of the things same as with this OP, also after attempting nearly most the same kinds of ways in hope of arriving to be just within any provider's acceptable 10% range of the downstream speed...but to no avail.And it is only early evening.

Best...but worse answer is....just not ready for Prime Time.
But Suddenlink is trying....

jdmm72

join:2002-02-12
Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to justchil3

Hey, Moldy, he's in the same area as me, probably within a few miles (or less), quite possibly on the same headend.

I had trouble getting 10mbps, and DOCSIS 3.0 has some trouble providing 20 here. With this in mind forget 100mbps, it's a pipe dream.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA

Would say just downgrade untill they can bring the plant up to par. Then again you would halve your upload too.

longgone

Culloden, WV
reply to justchil3

Yea.... jddm72 & moldypickle you both seem to know the game, as I've had the 107 10 days, and actually it has only been there between about 5am to 7am, and all other times of a 24 hour day, and depending on their now regular automated messages about technical issues, it has been from 1 to 45 megs, even the tech that came out early last week declared his 30 meg was only pulling 18 meg, and mentioned that there was not anything personally technically he really could do, but he indicated he'd get it pushed up the ladder to a higher tech authority, and since that time things have gone further downhill , so no joy there either.
So far, it has been just a waste of money and the thrill is nearly gone, so falling back to the 50 is the way to go, but if part of the problem is actually an overloaded node like the tech had indicated, then I'll definitely just experience the same repeated slow downs.

I had better test results with the 20 Meg.

Hope some other national 107 users might chime in on their recent performance experiences.

longgone

Culloden, WV

The 107 is there, but unfortunately in a very small window that I'd mentioned is around 5am, but it would sort of be decent if half the speed was there half the time of a 24 hour day, instead of erratically up and down the scale and well below 50 meg.

longgone

Culloden, WV
reply to justchil3

More of the same continues with the Suddenlink 107 meg download speeds and Consistency.

longgone

Culloden, WV

Click for full size

Speedtest Graph Results over previous recent 70 hour period and is very consistent with many other different test procedures and systems.

Today Upload is taking very long time to reach destination and had not seen this issue with 107.

Like I've mentioned, that the only times 107 shows is in early morning just around dawn, but the Graph shows how it all goes from that time better than I could even explain.

longgone

Culloden, WV
reply to justchil3

Another Saturday Night on the Suddenlink 107

The 107 is usually there at sometime well after midnight and arrives by 6 in the morning.