All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to urbanriot

to urbanriot

Re: No Facebook at work? I'll look elsewhere...

said by urbanriot:

Not really. I expect such places, if they truly exist, are marketing based and not the majority of work places. The majority of work places are doing everything in their power to evaluate or simply block non-essential web activity and it's pretty much a common practice in this day and age to specifically block Facebook. Our government has done it, large corporations are doing it and small businesses are starting to get into the game now that the hardware to do so is accessible to them.

I have no trouble at all believing such stories, based on what I've seen and read over the past couple of years. With so many people fighting for so few jobs these days, HR seems to think that they have a right to know everything about your personal life, and what better way to track your behavior than by your Facebook account? And if you don't have one, or refuse to admit to having one, then they aren't interested in hiring you. After all, you could be hiding something nefarious from them, and we can't have that, now can we?

I wasn't meaning to imply that they would expect you to use Facebook at work, unless maybe you were in marketing or something. Only that if they insisted you must have it, or if you give them your password or even friend them or whatever, then they can't really complain about your using it at work on occasion, now can they?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

Perhaps this is a 21st century analog of the way people have tended to view hermits and recluses in the past. Not having a Facebook account may be similar to holing up alone in a house or a cabin, as in the case of the Unabomber, for example. A way around this might be to have a Facebook and/or Twitter account, but just not use it all that much. I guess it's becoming more difficult to keep a low profile.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

said by rcdailey:

Not having a Facebook account may be similar to holing up alone in a house or a cabin, as in the case of the Unabomber, for example.

I really would hate to think that having a Facebook account is a metric of a person's sanity. If anything, I've seen Facebook be the spawning grounds of a lot of bullcrap.

"Your honor, the defendant would like to plead not guilty by reason of insanity. He did not have a Facebook account. I rest my case."