All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
GIGABIT3
join:2008-01-20
Etobicoke, ON

GIGABIT3

Rogers RocketHUB and Yagi Antenna (or and 3G/LTE modem)

Has anyone hooked up an External Yagi antenna to a 3G Wireless modem such as the Rogers Rocket hub ?

I have a friend who lives in an area where DSL/Cable is not available so I was wondering if anyone can share their 3G modem experiences.

Thanks

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

I don't know exactly how to do this, but it goes like this:

You need to get a Yagi that has the right length of boom for the frequency you're trying to pick up, then you're going to run some RG6 down the line to signal repeater of some sort, which will feed your 3G stick.

A decent yagi could run you anywhere from $50 to $250 depending on the size, and properties, and I have no idea how much the repeater or tower to mount your Yagi will cost you.

The Geezer
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á

The Geezer to GIGABIT3

Premium Member

to GIGABIT3
Actually I have the exact hookup that you are asking about. I have the Erikkson W35 Rocket Hub with a Wilson Yagi antenna kit attached to the roof above my office. At the time my signal strength was around 1 or 2 bars. When I plugged in the antenna, it shot up to a full 5 bars. Lately though, Rogers signal has improved to the point that I am pulling in 4 to 5 without the Yagi. At the same time the signal via the Yagi sank to zero to one. So my antenna now remains unattached. Obviously something happened to the Yagi (which looks fairly flimsy to begin with), but I am not going to bother to replace it.
GIGABIT3
Etobicoke, ON

GIGABIT3

Thanks for the feedback so far.
I have read that if water gets into the antenna you can lose the signal.

I am looking for Antenna recommendations...

The Geezer
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á

The Geezer

Premium Member

I think it may be more serious than just water getting in. I have the feeling that the tiny drain hole in the bottom is allowing insects to enter and build nests inside. I could be wrong, but I am just guessing...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

You need to get a Yagi that has the right length of boom for the frequency you're trying to pick up, then you're going to run some RG6 down the line to signal repeater of some sort, which will feed your 3G stick.

It won't be RG6. It'll be a 50 ohm antenna cable like RG-58 or something along those lines.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Gone:

It won't be RG6. It'll be a 50 ohm antenna cable like RG-58 or something along those lines.

You could be right, I'm only on RG6 because I use mine for ATSC, and not Cellphone reception.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah, TV is different. Any other kind of antenna like ham radio or even the antennas connected to a wireless router are 50 ohm. That complicates things, because it's not simple off-the-shelf cable that you can use like with television.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Gone:

That complicates things, because it's not simple off-the-shelf cable that you can use like with television.

Funnd you mention that, when I got my HAM license they did state that there were half-assed converter solutions if you had to use RG6, but they were sub-optimal, I'm assuming that would carry over to cellphone communications as well.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

For sure, but they call it sub-optimal for a reason
GIGABIT3
Etobicoke, ON

GIGABIT3

Here is one I found online. Wondering how good it is:

»www.powerteccanada.com/s ··· hub.html

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to GIGABIT3

Premium Member

to GIGABIT3
Wow, nifty subject. I don't myself use any of those rockethub thingies. But its nice knowing those are there for reference. I never considered a Yagi; then again I'm more into the wifi biquad dish mods and wokfi project sort of things.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

They're going to need to release an AWS version of that antenna soon enough.