morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

Looking to retire My wrt54gl

So I am Looking to retire The Old gal, Looking at putting her out to pasture or sellin her. I want to upgrade the wireless functions as i am getting more and more wireless N devices running in G and have decided its finally reached tipping point for me
That Said I am looking at a
Asus RT- N53
»www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ··· d=042389

Any Opinons I decided for 100 bucks i don;t really care if its gigabit since nothing i do internally Requires it.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
I recently upgraded my router to Linksys E4200 V2 and I love it.

The main reason for upgrading was wireless. E4200 V2 done anything and everything and I stream Hi-def 1080p 10-40gb file without hiccups. I have 3TB Ext HDD connected 24/7.

If you can afford E4200 V2, I would go with that OR go with E4500 which just came out but I like what E4200 V2 has, the hardware specs are similar to what E4500 has!!

I had tried Asus N56U and it didn't work out for me because wireless performance was poor for me and I would get 130Mbps on 2.4ghz whereas E4200 v2 I would get 300Mbps on 2.4ghz..

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to morisato
I have one of these and highly recommend it.

»www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ··· d=031500

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON
reply to morisato
»[Cable] Newbie: suggestion for router?

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
reply to morisato
I use an RT-53 and think it's great. I think it's so great I bought a second one.

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
reply to morisato
what you really should replace it with is a future proof ASUS RT-AC66U router.
»www.shopbot.ca/m/?m=RT-AC66U

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
That's too pricey for me.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to morisato
Asus RT-N16 here - solid with Tomato on it, and very happy with the performance...

It's listing at about $80 at Canada Computer's right now.

I don't know the N53; but generally, I'm not a fan of anything with internal antenna's - I've yet to find one with as good a coverage as something with externals, IMO...

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to morisato
I'm using one of these:

»www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ··· d=026991

... with OpenWRT/Gargoyle firmware.

»www.gargoyle-router.com/

Works terrific.

Mike

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to morisato
thanks all especially mike gigabit with n for 70 i dont wanna spend 200 bucks on a router heh so with that solved to kijiji with the 54gl
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

forgedice

join:2012-11-19
reply to fluffybunny
Will the RT-AC66U 802.11ac Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router work with Teksavvy? Does it have a place to put a login for internet in its interface?

thm655321

join:2003-09-01
Canada
I just bought the RT-AC66U. I have not connected it to the internet yet as I am waiting for my 25/10 to be installed tomorrow, but I did play with the web interface (after hard resetting it as it seemed the fw from the factory was corrupted).

Yes the interface has a place to put your login information. The web interface is very nice and has most of the Tomato/DD-WRT features already plus more so I doubt I will change it to Tomato/DD-WRT.

Hitman05

join:2003-05-26
reply to morisato
I went from a 54gl to a Cisco/Linksys E2500. It's the cheaper little brother of the e4200 but fits my needs perfectly. Very very stable as well.

mihaiv

join:2008-11-11
Scarborough, ON

1 edit
reply to morisato
If you want a consumer router, you need to get the TP-LINK TL-WDR4300. It's $85 on amazon and it has:

-Simultaneous 2.4 GHz 300 Mbps and 5GHz 450 Mbps
-2 USB ports
-5 gigabit ports
-128MB RAM
-8MB flash for firmware

It works with OpenWRT, DD-WRT and probably some version of Tomato (haven't looked into it)

»www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ··· d=050695

»www.amazon.ca/Tp-Link-TL-WDR4300 ··· 8&sr=8-1

-------------------------------------------

If you want something more powerful, take a look at:

Mikrotik RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN: »routerboard.com/RB2011UAS-2HnD-I ··· -2HnD-IN
-600MHz
-128MB Ram
-64MB flash (some people received it with 128MB)
-Wifi b/g/n on 2.4GHz only, no 5GHz
-10 ethernet ports (5 gigabit and 5 100mb)
-SFP cage (potential for 10 gigabit module)
-USB port
-harder to set up, but great software (RouterOS by Mikrotik)
-$130

I'm personally waiting for the EdgeMax router, to be released in December for $99

EdgeMax Lite: »www.ubnt.com/edgemax
-Dual Core
-512 MB RAM
-2GB storage
-3 gigabit ports
-great OS based on Vayata router distribution
-crazy fast routing speed
-no wireless, but that should be easy with any access point or old router set to access point mode
-$99

Anonymoose

@teksavvy.com
So these routers that have a USB port on them - does that mean you can simply plug an external USB hard disk drive in there and use it as attached storage for films, movies etc?

Can other devices address that drive easily, say an XBOX looking at it to play movies off it?

If so, does it and the HDD need to be USB 3, or can USB 2 keep up?

Thanks.
AEM

dtsang

join:2003-08-16
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to morisato
My parents had a complicated setup previously with two WRT54G linked with WDS. However, the bandwidth with 802.11g on WDS was insufficient for their needs, so I helped them switch to a Asus RT-N56U. Quite happy with it.

»ca.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Ro ··· /RTN56U/

SHARPSHARK

join:2002-05-10
reply to morisato
Well, if you don't have any other router, perhaps you should keep it as a backup.

I currently use my WRT54GL as an access point for my G devices. My E2000 is the gateway and 5Ghz N access point. Back then, dual band routers looked a bit out of price to my taste and custom firmwares didn't seem to support the dual band feature anyway.
--
SHARPSHARK

anon1

@bell.ca
reply to morisato
I switched a while back from a WRT54G to a Dlink DIR655 as my main wireless router...

I was about to box up the WRT54G but instead I installed the DDWRT firmware, then configured it as a wireless access point.

The DIR655 has a decent signal but it doesn't reach my home office... so the WRT54G is sitting up their plugged into an ethernet jack extending my wireless network to the entire house.

Riazg

join:2005-01-01
Scarborough, ON
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

I have one of these and highly recommend it.

»www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ··· d=031500

I second that! I have this and am running tomato on it. Works perfectly!
--
Check out the TekSavvy Forums:
»»TekSavvy

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to morisato
Another vote for linksys E4200 (although mine is a V1)
I run shibby Tomato on it.

it has 16mb flash so it supports the 'everything' builds, and I think slightly better wifi performance than netgear 3500

some others have recommended the netgear 3700 which I have not used.

nightowl

join:2012-11-09
using 2 E3000 with DD-WRT in bridge mode (using 2.4ghz side as the access point and 5 ghz for the bridge mode). get 8 megabytes/sec transfer rates to my NAS box in the basement. no issues with them at all for the last year

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
reply to morisato
I have the step up with the N66U and it works great and appears to be very future proof. The asus routers have been great for me so I would think you'd do OK with the 53u.