how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ssilence

join:2012-09-23
Warner Robins, GA

[GA] Internet Slowdown

Anyone else in middle Georgia getting really slow speeds tonight. I tried both speedtest and speakeasy, and I can't get anything higher then about 1.8 mbps when I typically get around 15 or higher. My pings are good. I just tested with the speed test on the cox's website, and my ping to Atlanta was 78, my download was 1.52 and upload 7.73. So, with the high upload, it looks like cox is having some downstream issues. Anyone else seeing this?

Also, i checked my usage meter and have used 45 GB out of my 200GB with 11 days to go in my cycle, so it isn't throttling from that.

ssilence

Warner Robins, GA

Guess I am the only one....I think it is network congestion. During the day today, I was back to normal speeds...now I am crawling again. This stinks.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3

what modem do you have? and what is the modems signal level's?

merlock
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Warner Robins, GA
reply to ssilence

Not seeing anything slow:

36.7Mbps down, 11.4Mbps up. Ping 26ms.

scottct1

join:2002-01-28
Newington, CT
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to ssilence

I am having the same issue here in Connecticut. It just started a few days ago.

In the morning GREAT

At night its slower then DSL.

--
Scott Greczkowski
- SatelliteGuys.US
- MultiChannel News

zenobia

join:2008-08-12
Manchester, CT
reply to ssilence

Also been having horrible problems in Connecticut the last couple of evenings. Usually getting 20Mb/sec, but down to around 0.3Mb/sec in the evenings the last two nights.

It is awful. It's not GA, but the poster above is in CT and so am I.

ssilence

Warner Robins, GA
reply to lilstone87

I have a Linksys CM100 cable modem. It has been working great up until recently. Again, let me reiterate...my speeds are great during the day, the slow down is just at night.

Here is some information from my modem:

Standard Specification Compliant: DOCSIS 2.0
Hardware Version: V54.0
Software Version: 2.0.13.13180

Acquire Downstream Channel, 837000000 Hz, Locked
Connectivity State, OK, Operational
Boot State, OK, Operational
Security, Enabled, BPI+

Downstream:
Lock Status: Operational
Modulation: 256QAM
Channel ID: 28
Provisioned Rate: 300 kbps
Symbol Rate: 41879.195 Ksym/sec
Downstream Power: 2.0 dBmV
SNR: 37.0 dB

Upstream:
Lock Status: Operational
Modulation: 64QAM
Channel ID: 3
Provisioned Rate: 300 kbps
Symbol Rate: 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Power: 42.0 dBmV

ssilence

Warner Robins, GA

I just checked my speed again, and I am up to around 6Mbps...so I am really thinking this is just a congestion issue. Anyone from cox out there that can check to see if my node is overloaded?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to ssilence

Well I suggest you think about upgrading to a D3 modem, if your speed problems continue during evening hours(peak usage). Because your signal levels look fine, and I am about 99% sure a D3 modem will get rid of the slowdowns during prime times hours. As your current modem connects to a single downstream capable of 38mbps of bandwidth. Which is shared on your node, with others using cox. So its not hard for bandwidth to go to crap in the evenings, if everyone in your area is watching stuff like Netflix, and youtube video's. With a D3 modem you can connect to up to 4-8 downstream channels depending on modem you get, and up to 4 upstream channels. Which means there will be more bandwidth available, and less chances of speed slowdowns during peak usage hours.

betterdan

join:2002-03-20
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to ssilence

I was having problems for over a year with slow speeds at peak hours but fine at other times. I had Cox technicians come out a couple of times but they were clueless and tried to blame my router, my ethernet cable etc. Once a little more knowledgeable guy came out and said it seemed to be a lot of congestion in the area but he had no solution. The customer service lady on the phone even told me that Cox can't guarantee speeds which I understand but I told her that I was paying for 15 down and was getting about 2 down. She just kept repeating that they can't guarantee speeds.

Fast forward to this weekend where I just happened to notice on Cox's site (don't even know why I was on there to be honest) and I saw that my old Docsis 2.0 Motorla SB5120 wasn't the recommended modem for my Preferred package anymore. It listed a Docsis 3.0 modem. I also was thinking about upgrading to Premier so I figured I'd go and get the SB6121 at Wal Mart and if it didn't help I'd just return it.

Best thing I've done for my computer in years. I now am getting at least the advertised download speed all the time and upload speeds have gotten quicker too.

I can't believe the technicians didn't clue in on my old modem but ah well at least everything seems to be good now and I went ahead and upgraded to Premier too. Getting a consistant 30 down and about 20 up according to speedtest.net.
I found a site that says they have more accurate speed numbers that don't factor in the speed boost. It is »testmy.net
I am getting 30 down and 4 up according to them which seems more believable.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ

I think siri was just eating up your bandwidth.

ssilence

Warner Robins, GA
reply to betterdan

What all do I have to do once I get a new Modem to get it registered and working with Cox?

betterdan

join:2002-03-20
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

You just need to call Cox and talk to technical support and tell them you just bought a new modem. They will ask for the MAC address and Serial Number which will be on a tag on the modem and probably on the box too.

lol Rakeesh you bastage! Siri seems to be a lot quicker with ios 6

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

My boss gave me an iPad (the most expensive model you can buy in fact, typing on it right now) and I tried siri...it just doesn't even compare to google's. I don't really use either though, especially on android because swype is so nice, and I don't particularly like having a conversation with a computer.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA
reply to ssilence

Slow down its a freaking Joke i cant even get you any speed tests from any site because there's no upload!!!!

Any youtube video cuts off every 5-10 secs my Internet cut off 3 times today within 2 hrs i mean am about to File out Complaints to the BBC County etc i sick of this mess.

am just about Done with Cox!!!!!!!!!!

quote:
Current Software Revision: DPC3010-v302r12901-110516a-COX
Firmware Name: dpc3010-v302r12901-110516a-COX.bin
Firmware Build Time: May 16 2011 17:09:15
Cable Modem Status: Operational

Downstream Channels

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: -2.9 dBmV 36.8 dB
Channel 2: -2.7 dBmV 37.0 dB
Channel 3: -2.8 dBmV 36.3 dB
Channel 4: -3.1 dBmV 36.5 dB
Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB
Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Upstream Channels

Power Level:
Channel 1: 40.7 dBmV
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

--
Support
»www.minutemanproject.com/

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:76

When did you do your last test and where were you testing to? The last result I see on this end doesn't show any obvious indication of a problem.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA

said by CoxTech1:

When did you do your last test and where were you testing to? The last result I see on this end doesn't show any obvious indication of a problem.

Yesterday this is what i got on the upload, i even tried Cox it timed out dont know if they were working in my area or not have no idea.

»tinypic.com/r/11vpq50/6

Now its back to normal...
--
Support

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

Do you get similar result when you do the speedtest provided via Internet Tools on our site?

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA

2 edits

Here you go sorry it toke so long

quote:
Sat Oct 20 2:51 AM
Yes
35 Mbps
15 Mbps
15 millisec

--
Support

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

It's definitely looking good now, are you still having any issues?

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
Byron, GA

said by CoxTech1:

It's definitely looking good now, are you still having any issues?

as of now no.but you know how that goes when there's nothing wrong !!!

Hope it stays like this !!!!!
--
Support