Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jordih

join:2012-09-23
Kamloops, BC

[BC] Shaw 13Mb/s buffering YouTube slower then Telus 6Mb/s

YouTube Video Info
Our landlord recently changed our internet from Telus high speed to Shaw High speed 20, I was very happy, as my experience with Telus has been terrible in the past and Shaw was excellent.

Our download speed with Shaw is more then double what is was with Telus at 13Mbps. Still way short of the plans 20Mb maximum, but oh well.

The only issue I am having with Shaw is that YouTube videos are buffering WAY slower then with Telus.
Telus streams at an average of 5500kbps.
Shaw streams at about 2000kbps for 1 second then goes to 0kbps the next, then back up. Rinse and repeat.

I have adjusted my router settings to no avail, and am left with thinking the issue lies with Shaw.

Any advice or other questions before I call and give a Shaw rep a hard time?

scubascythan

join:2005-05-14

If it doesn't affect playback, why would it matter.

Also, shaw has servers cached for youtube. Don't know if telus does.

eg. If you sniff the url of some youtube playback, should get something like:

»o-o---preferred---shaw-yvr2---v1···ube.com/
»o-o---preferred---shaw-yvr1---v7···ube.com/

NotShaw

@shawcable.net
reply to Jordih

If the issue was wide spread with Shaw this would not be the first post about it.

I have no issue buffering at all and that graph really does not help diagnose your issue. First start off with the router/modem config. perhaps... Do you get good speed else where? Is this wired or wireless etc?

NotShaw

@shawcable.net
reply to Jordih

Just tested with 1080p video and I can hit 81mbps while very QUICKLY buffering on YouTube.

More information on your end would be helpful.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
reply to Jordih

Do you get the same wired to the modem?

-Posted from my phone.

Jordih

Kamloops, BC

1 edit
reply to scubascythan

said by scubascythan:

If it doesn't affect playback, why would it matter.

Also, shaw has servers cached for youtube. Don't know if telus does.

eg. If you sniff the url of some youtube playback, should get something like:

»o-o---preferred---shaw-yvr2---v1···ube.com/
»o-o---preferred---shaw-yvr1---v7···ube.com/

It greatly affects playback. Telus could stream 720p great, just not 1080p. I have to let Shaw buffer for 720p for quite sometime before I start playback. >2000kbps is not enough for instant HD streaming.

said by NotShaw :

If the issue was wide spread with Shaw this would not be the first post about it.

I have no issue buffering at all and that graph really does not help diagnose your issue. First start off with the router/modem config. perhaps... Do you get good speed else where? Is this wired or wireless etc?

I don't expect this to be a wide spread issue. As I mentioned, I had Shaw (extreme) before and I had no issues.
The graph is a bit vague, but it kind of shows what I described with Shaw dipping up and down from 2000kbps to zero.

I'm on a wired connection via my Dlink DIR-655 which is being fed by Shaw's cable modem. This behavior can be observed on all wired and wireless devices on the network.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Jordih

Your line speeds are good, correct? I personally let DHCP/DNS be performed server base instead of router based and I did notice some improvements with anything DNS related. YouTube seemed to load a little better as well, and I use 8.8.8.8 as my forwarder. Be something to try if you can.

Jordih

Kamloops, BC

If I bypass my router and connect directly to the modem, thus leaving everything up to it, YouTube is still a struggle.

Jordih

Kamloops, BC

2 edits
reply to Jordih

said by Jordih:

I had Shaw (extreme) before

I should mention that it was at my old house.

said by kevinds:

Do you get the same wired to the modem?

Yes.

I just had an hour long live chat with a Shaw tech. He was thorough, but ended up being as puzzled as me. He decided to send me a new modem just to make sure. I am not sure this will fix it, as YouTube is the only site having an issue, HD Vimeo works just fine. But we shall see...

fuzzmania

join:2003-08-19
New Westminster, BC
reply to Jordih

Telus and Shaw might use different Youtube servers for loading Videos.
For Example being in Kamloops on Telus you might use a youtube server located in vancouver thanks to DNS. Whereas for Shaw it might not be the same server DNS replies with. It likely has nothing to do with the connection and all to do with which server DNS is providing you to load your video from.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Jordih

Which is why I suggested trying google DNS directly. I've been forwarding my personal network and a few client's to google and no complains or issues. I've had a few minor issues with Telus and Shaw DNS so I decided to make the switch.

Jordih

Kamloops, BC

I have been using Google's public DNS for a couple years, using it or not does not influence my current issue.

SwitchBCK

@shawcable.net
reply to Jordih

If YouTube is such an issue and no one can resolve it maybe switch back to telus?

Personally I don't watch YouTube enough that that would even be an issue... Better places to get good content!!

GraphQ

@shawcable.net
reply to Jordih

What are you using to create the graph?

don

join:2004-07-22
Victoria, BC
reply to Jordih

Youtube changed how their videos stream a while back. You used to get the whole movie at once, even if you left the playback paused. Now you only get a few seconds of buffer, and if you pause playback, the download stops. I assume this is to save bandwidth from people who don't finish videos or open tons of tabs at once. Perhaps you're just noticing this?

fuzzmania

join:2003-08-19
New Westminster, BC

Really? I had a feeling this was happening but wasn't sure because my work throttles youtube traffic too, at least they seem to..
Didn't really notice at home too much since I don't queue up too many videos

Jordih

Kamloops, BC
reply to Jordih

said by SwitchBCK :

If YouTube is such an issue and no one can resolve it maybe switch back to telus?

That may end up being the case.

said by GraphQ :

What are you using to create the graph?

Right click a YouTube video > Show video info.

said by don:

Youtube changed how their videos stream a while back. You used to get the whole movie at once, even if you left the playback paused. Now you only get a few seconds of buffer, and if you pause playback, the download stops. I assume this is to save bandwidth from people who don't finish videos or open tons of tabs at once. Perhaps you're just noticing this?

The video keeps on loading when I pause it, and again, it works fine on my slower Telus connection.

I received my new modem from Shaw today, and unsurprisingly, it didn't change anything. Had another hour long chat with them and they are at a complete loss, as am I. We are assuming it is on Google's end.
All I can do now is bitch at Google enough to catch someones attention. In my personal experience, Google has shit customer service, so I'm not expecting them to do anything about this.

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

While I don't expect this to fix it, it *might* help.
Try changing your youtube account to the html5 player (instead of flash)
»www.youtube.com/html5

Since you're working fine on Telus, your flash isn't the issue, but maybe the html5 player buffers differently?

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to Jordih

It's not on Google's end, here to tell you. I just had 3 tab's of youtube open, all playing a 720p video and buffering cruised well above the play.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to Jordih

Hey Jordih - have you called yet and given us a hard time (hope not)? If so did they notice any issues with your levels?

I'd be happy to investigate this further for you, just pm me your account details.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Jordih

Kamloops, BC
reply to Jordih

said by stolen:

Try changing your youtube account to the html5 player (instead of flash)

I tried that for the last couple days, and while not every video supported it, it didn't seem to help.

said by rustydusty:

It's not on Google's end, here to tell you. I just had 3 tab's of youtube open, all playing a 720p video and buffering cruised well above the play.

Again, I don't think this is a wide spread issue. If it is YouTube, I believe it is somewhat localised and a rare occurance. There is a forum post on Google's product forums that seems to be talking about a similiar issue with a fair amount of people being able to relate.

said by ShawSean:

Hey Jordih - have you called yet and given us a hard time (hope not)? If so did they notice any issues with your levels?

I had two thorough live chat sessions with reps on the website. The first concluded that he had no idea why this is happening, and sent me a new modem just too make sure. The chat I had yesterday was much of them same, but now concluding they really have no leads, and all they could do was bring this issue up with Google.
Both times they said my levels seemed normal.

PM sent

JoeKinn

@shawcable.net
reply to Jordih

I'm also getting very slow internet speeds, and I have broadband50. Videos from different sites were buffering, not just Youtube, I was noticing lag on BF3...which I upgraded my speed for. I ran internetspeedtest.com and it showed about 10M. I run a quadcore with 8 gigs of ram.

I live in Winston Heights. I called support about it on Thursday, and we went through the modem reboot, short the coax, reboot the computer. Then we ran the Shaw speedtest - which was 48M -so I decided to let it go. That night I got buffering again, so I searched for the best tests I could find. I ran everything from Internet Frog, to Primus, to DSLReports, and everything in between. All poor except for the Shaw version.

Tech support says they are upgrading all around the city and Winston Height is in process this weekend...it should be better by Monday. I'm a little skeptical, since the Youtube test is an aggregate of a number of weeks.

Have to see how it turns out.

Drum

join:2009-05-06

Lately i am experiencing VERY SLOW youtube videos. It started recently for some reason. Im on BB50 from New Westminster, BC and my service has been perfect for a long time. Its perfect even now. all my games are fine, my downloads are fast but youtube is just horrible. I cant watch a proper clip without some sort of buffering. I truly hope its youtube and not Shaw routing to youtube, cuz that would suck. My telus friend has no issues with youtube.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 edit
reply to JoeKinn

There was mention that the DNU was happening very soon in Calgary, was supposed to start Oct 30 with Country Hills first.

I don't know if they are adding more internet channels at the same time, or just turning off the analog stations. I suppose time will tell...

The problem with adding internet channels at the same time (replacing the analog channels with internet channels) is that anybody without full cable (tiers 123 blocked) will have the 'new' internet channels blocked by the filter.

I found speedtest.net to be 'accurate' using the Virden, MB server - compared to the speed of transfers at similar times.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.