spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

babyaz2001

join:2012-09-24

Satellite TV For My Catamaran

I'm in the process of building a 42 ft Catamaran and I would like to know what Satellite TV service and equipment would work best for my catamaran. I've heard that Dish Network is good as well as Direct TV using KVH equipment. However I just ran across a few postings on here from 2008 about Direct TV not getting all the channels and Dish Network does so now I'm a little confused as I've always hated Dish but if they are better for a boat then I'll go that route. But I'm still confused on what equipment or what size as there is a wide variety. I just need something to get regular and HD channels.

I've heard few people say why do I need TV on a boat that there is a lot to do on a boat. That is true however there are 1000's of people around the world who live aboard theres and sail around the world. Which is what I will be doing and when your out at sea for up to 21 days at a time you tend to run out of things to do quickly. However it will be fun traveling to exotic places the like Tahiti, Australia, and a long list of other places. So yeah while at those ports probably wont care about the tv much but when your stuck in port during winter months or the rainy season then yeah tv would be nice. I hear a lot of circumnavigators spend xmas and the new year in australia as I've read that a lot of them meet up and spend it together. You have to figure the person that travels the world will probably take 2 to 3 years just to go around it once and thats because you want to stay on one side of the sun at all times otherwise your likely to wind up in extremely rough weather conditions and that isn't good for any sail boat so it will be often that you will wait a few months in one port while you wait out the weather.

So yeah I agree if your only a weekend boater then why would you want a tv? But for the many liveaboard boaters we want tv especially those of us who travel the globe with our kids try keeping a kid calm in the middle of a crossing and many of us do have kids to my suprise. I don't have any but being a previous preschool teacher for many years I can see how those people do want it. You would quickly want it too if you were them.

If someone can answer my above question about the satellite tv for my boat that would be greatly appreciated.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
You should cut your post done to just the first paragraph - that is the only one that maters. I would call both up and see about what hey say about getting service on a boat - I would imagine it would be the same as an RV.

If both work - then it is really up to what you want channel wise and what they offer channel wise and then how much it costs.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to babyaz2001
The Internet is your friend. Found this on Directv's website. Looks like you get plenty of channels to me.

»www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/t···avtype=2

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to babyaz2001
The problem with boats is stabilty.

Even calm seas (maybe at dock depending how protected) move quite a bit compared to the pin point sat aiming needs to be.
Plus your orientation is always moving place to place.

You would need a servo/gps feedback aimed dish to to pull it off and they are not particularly cheap.

Cats are far more stable than mono hulls, but hardly motionless.

And that stability is even more critical when you are talking about aiming as a wide arc of sats not just individual ones. (as both services are these days, and even wider arc if HD)
--

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

- I would imagine it would be the same as an RV.

Except during earthquakes maybe RV's generally are not perched on a constantly moving surface.
--

emcmia

@bellsouth.net
reply to babyaz2001
I have a 43 ft Privilege with an Intellian satellite tracking system that incorporates it own GPS system (which automatically finds the satellite). Works great up to about 6ft seas. However, you will find that both DirectTV and Dish have limited satellite coverage over open ocean. For southeast U.S., it fades about 150 miles east of Florida and is very weak in Cuba. A much larger dish would help but you will need a much bigger boat, e.g. 100 ft. LOA. Worldwide, there are many satellite TV services, most of whom use different transmission modes, which means what works in the U.S. is not going to work in Singapore or Australia or South American, etc.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL
said by emcmia :

For southeast U.S., it fades about 150 miles east of Florida and is very weak in Cuba.

Yeah here in Key West we rarely see better than about mid 80's% signal, a few lower. The locals do best as that is a spot beam to the So FL area.
Low signal level is somewhat made up for by the fact we are looking much more straight up than most of the US, so only very tall pouring thunder heads will knock it out and usually for not more than a couple of min, as they are usually moving right along and not real wide.

Both DISH and DTV about the same on that count.
--