Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger

Re: Assange makes 1st public appearance in 2 months

That we agree on.

Still though, doesn't the US' Fifth Amendment still raise eyebrows here?

The Fifth Amendment (Amendment V) to the United States Constitution, which is part of the Bill of Rights, protects against abuse of government authority in a legal procedure. Its guarantees stem from English common law which traces back to Magna Carta in 1215. For instance, grand juries and the phrase due process (also found in the 14th Amendment) both trace their origin to Magna Carta.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi ··· titution

While this story initially isn't about the US laws, far from it, but on the International stage, shouldn't or doesn't Assange feel this type of pressure and concern for his own well being? Let's forget the legal system for what he has been alleged of for a second, if he fears for his life or his well being, shouldn't he or anyone be entitled to safe passage before during and after?

Anyway I'll get off my soapbox, the rights of a single person to defend him/herself are dwindling, you only have to hear of the so called "friends" all turn against him the moment the word "rape" was mentioned, guilty or not.

"Oh what a wonderful world"

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· =related

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

1 recommendation

Ian1

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

...shouldn't or doesn't Assange feel this type of pressure and concern for his own well being? Let's forget the legal system for what he has been alleged of for a second, if he fears for his life or his well being, shouldn't he or anyone be entitled to safe passage before during and after?

Any accused has a reasonable and justifiable fear of being found guilty and having to go to jail. Assange is accused of rape or some type of sexual assault in Sweden. Should we all of the sudden be concerned with the fairness of the Swedish justice system just because of Assange? I think not.

For the record, I don't think Assange has any particular legitimate "fear of his well-being". He fears going to jail. Hardly unique.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Name Game to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
I think he has the right to be stupid..but for now I kinda like him being the doorman at the Ecuadorian Embassy..keeps him out of trouble.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to norwegian

MVM

to norwegian
said by norwegian:

That we agree on.

Still though, doesn't the US' Fifth Amendment still raise eyebrows here?

The Fifth Amendment (Amendment V) to the United States Constitution, which is part of the Bill of Rights, protects against abuse of government authority in a legal procedure. Its guarantees stem from English common law which traces back to Magna Carta in 1215. For instance, grand juries and the phrase due process (also found in the 14th Amendment) both trace their origin to Magna Carta.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi ··· titution

While this story initially isn't about the US laws, far from it, but on the International stage, shouldn't or doesn't Assange feel this type of pressure and concern for his own well being? Let's forget the legal system for what he has been alleged of for a second, if he fears for his life or his well being, shouldn't he or anyone be entitled to safe passage before during and after?

Anyway I'll get off my soapbox, the rights of a single person to defend him/herself are dwindling, you only have to hear of the so called "friends" all turn against him the moment the word "rape" was mentioned, guilty or not.

"Oh what a wonderful world"

(youtube clip)

Has he been charged with anything yet, then thus far I think the only thing he has to fear from the US is his tin foil is to tight. The US doesn't like lots of people, but that doesn't mean they all disappear over night (OK Bin Laden did, but that was no secret he was on the hit list). When you play around those who commit crimes which bring about charges (ie Manning), then of course you might be investigated to see if you had a part, and Julian should know this. I mean the guy hasn't even had charges laid against him and he thinks he's going to disappear into the dark, never mind a trial (do you think the US could get away without a trial for him?). Julian is working the system to his benefit, playing supposed fear of the US against an investigation in Sweden.

Who he might want to start fearing are those who don't like the US, as wouldn't it be bad press/etc for the US if something mysterious happened to him and this is a situation of Julian's own making.

Blake