how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

On Demand and RESUMING shows!!!

OK sorry to vent because I think this is a known issue but I cannot believe it's really this bad. Virtually EVERY time we stop an on-demand show now and go to resume, it starts at the beginning. Now that many networks don't allow FF (which is a snails pace anyway) it is really painful. Is this something with my boxes or is this really this pervasive an issue? It's really bad....I mean how on earth can this issue be lingering this long?? It has to be just me right?

Anyway, that made me feel a bit better so thanks!!!

Anyone know whether they are aware and if not would another person calling make a difference
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
We had huge problems with this over the weekend.

On Demand is the only reason we even rent a FiOS DVR for our living room anymore. It's a travesty they can't get it to work right. It seems to be getting more pervasive.

This is why people download. I'll watch a few commercials or promos as the cost of watching a "free" network show, but it's got to actually work correctly.

JH28

@bankofamerica.com
reply to fishacura
Ongoing issue

PaulyIzGod

join:2008-02-18
Tampa, FL
reply to fishacura
Instead of hitting the stop button, pause the video, and let it time out takes 2 minutes. When that happens should allow you to resume play. It works for me.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
said by PaulyIzGod:

Instead of hitting the stop button, pause the video, and let it time out takes 2 minutes. When that happens should allow you to resume play. It works for me.

THANKS! I will try this workaround!
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to fishacura
said by fishacura:

OK sorry to vent because I think this is a known issue but I cannot believe it's really this bad. Virtually EVERY time we stop an on-demand show now and go to resume, it starts at the beginning. Now that many networks don't allow FF (which is a snails pace anyway) it is really painful. Is this something with my boxes or is this really this pervasive an issue? It's really bad....I mean how on earth can this issue be lingering this long?? It has to be just me right?

Anyway, that made me feel a bit better so thanks!!!

Anyone know whether they are aware and if not would another person calling make a difference

Do not press STOP. By pressing STOP, you indicate that you are done watching the video, so it is not marked for resumption. Instead, press BACK or MENU or GUIDE.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
said by UnnDunn:

Do not press STOP. By pressing STOP, you indicate that you are done watching the video

That explains why my car won't start. I stopped the engine when I got to work and now it won't start again. I guess by stopping the engine I sent a message to the car's brain saying I was "done" with it. I guess I should have just let it idle. Hmmmph, who would have thought.
--

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to knarf829
said by knarf829:

On Demand is the only reason we even rent a FiOS DVR for our living room anymore.

That doesn't make sense. If you have a DVR why wouldn't you just record the show when it airs? You don't need a DVR to access On Demand.

I have now stopped using On Demand entirely. Last week I went to watch Perception on TNT on demand. There was no HD version of the show available, and FFW was disabled. They ran the full gammut of commercials so it took the entire hour to watch the show.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
said by Mac973:

That doesn't make sense. If you have a DVR why wouldn't you just record the show when it airs? You don't need a DVR to access On Demand.

Sure it does. Why waste space on your DVR for things that are on-demand. Why bother to set up recordings when you don't have to. Regardless of your preference, the service should work as intended.
--

knarf829

1 edit
reply to Mac973
said by Mac973:

said by knarf829:

On Demand is the only reason we even rent a FiOS DVR for our living room anymore.

It makes total sense. Started out with a DVR there and since the cost difference isn't that much between a HD box and a DVR we just kept it while recording 99% on our TiVo.

Plus, TV shows and cable movies aren't the only thing we watch On Demand.

Plus, we can pause live TV on it to get up and take a leak or change a diaper during a game while recording shows on both TiVo tuners. Anyway, why do I need to justify my usage to you?

knarf829

reply to UnnDunn
said by UnnDunn:

Do not press STOP. By pressing STOP, you indicate that you are done watching the video, so it is not marked for resumption. Instead, press BACK or MENU or GUIDE.

Pretty sure I did it this way, too, but I'll try it again.

BTW, the "RESUME" option appears even when you press "STOP," so I'm not sure why it would know to present that option but not know how to complete your request.

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to knarf829

Plus, TV shows and cable movies aren't the only thing we watch On Demand.

Plus, we can pause live TV on it to get up and take a leak or change a diaper during a game while recording shows on both TiVo tuners. Anyway, why do I need to justify my usage to you?

In my area a DVR is $16.99/month, whereas a regular HD box is only $6.99, so it didn't make sense that someone would pay an extra $10/month just to access OD.

knarf829

Even $10 a month isn't that much to keep your options open unless you're destitute. Worth it to know it's there if I need it.

tender

join:2000-11-01
Potomac, MD
reply to fishacura
Resuming on-demand has been an issue for a long time. I called again to report the issue the other day and was offered a one time $50 credit. I will keep calling until this issue is fixed. The work around is to not stop on-demand titles using the stop button on the remote, but to press pause and let it time out, or change the channel. Using stop always starts the title over. Does pausing and resuming on-demand work correctly for anyone?
thanks

marc3565

join:2009-10-08
I noticed this weekend.. I let a purchased show time out. The screen went back to the original ordering page with no resume option. I backed out and went to the MY LIBRARY> MY RENTALS folder and i was able to resume from where i left off.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to fishacura
said by fishacura:

said by Mac973:

Sure it does. Why waste space on your DVR for things that are on-demand. Why bother to set up recordings when you don't have to. Regardless of your preference, the service should work as intended.

Because the quality of the VOD content is lower than what is broadcast.

knarf829

said by aaronwt:

said by fishacura:

said by Mac973:

Because the quality of the VOD content is lower than what is broadcast.

Unfortunately, not always. Our ABC affiliate here is so bogged down with sub channels that their "HD" programming is 7.5-9.0 Mbps. In that case, VOD looks better.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to tender
said by tender:

Resuming on-demand has been an issue for a long time. I called again to report the issue the other day and was offered a one time $50 credit. I will keep calling until this issue is fixed. The work around is to not stop on-demand titles using the stop button on the remote, but to press pause and let it time out, or change the channel. Using stop always starts the title over. Does pausing and resuming on-demand work correctly for anyone?
thanks

I haven't checked recently, but I have paused on demand in the past, and if it timed out I could only start from the beginning.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.