You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Widen the net maybe...

But if you can't pay your bills you don't deserve service.
dianasatyr
join:2008-12-13
Baton Rouge, LA

1 recommendation

dianasatyr

Re: Widen the net maybe...

I thought I'd tune into the comments to pick up on some of the usual poor- folk bashing, and it started right out with this:

"why should they be forced to provide service to deadbeats who don't pay their bills?"

Arggggh! SOME PEOPLE CANNOT MAKE GOOD MONEY, ALRIGHT.

When I grew up in Texas long ago my dad was a WWII veteran with partial disability due to PTSD (not called that then). He was plagued by debilitating depression and some other things. My mom was a war bride from Scotland, shy by nature, who was totally out of place in Texas, which only made her shyer and more withdrawn.

The best they could do is run a small ma and pa store. The cash flow was tiny. The were often late on their bills, and worried constantly about next month's bills. Later they went bankrupt because their store was on the "Dallas Highway", which was replaced by the new Interstate.
There was just no way out for them.

The current failure of much of America to extend themselves a little and comprehend that not all people are effective economic actors, or have the capability to be, disgusts me. Believe it or not, folks, compassion is an age-old virtue, although your Right ideology has virtually destroyed it on the public stage.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Re: Widen the net maybe...

said by dianasatyr:

I thought I'd tune into the comments to pick up on some of the usual poor- folk bashing, and it started right out with this:

"why should they be forced to provide service to deadbeats who don't pay their bills?"

When I grew up in Texas long ago my dad was a WWII veteran with partial disability due to PTSD (not called that then). He was plagued by debilitating depression and some other things. My mom was a war bride from Scotland, shy by nature, who was totally out of place in Texas, which only made her shyer and more withdrawn.

The best they could do is run a small ma and pa store. The cash flow was tiny. The were often late on their bills, and worried constantly about next month's bills. Later they went bankrupt because their store was on the "Dallas Highway", which was replaced by the new Interstate.

The current failure of much of America to extend themselves a little and comprehend that not all people are effective economic actors, or have the capability to be, disgusts me. Believe it or not, folks, compassion is an age-old virtue, although your Right ideology has virtually destroyed it on the public stage.

Did your parents spend money they didn't have on things they did not need? If they grew up in the first Great Depression then my guess is probably not.

Again, I affirm that cable TV is not a life-critical service under any circumstances. If you have trouble making ends meet, then perhaps you should consider dropping that before you complain about having no money.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008 to dianasatyr

Premium Member

to dianasatyr
said by dianasatyr:

Well why stop there? If you are entitled to free cable, why not free houses? Free cars?

I'm not rich by any means, but I have ambitions. I also try to be responsible. I try to pay my bills.

Do you even know what the word responsibility is hippy? or am I now one of the right?