uniqs
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

[Security] Lack of Safari 6 on Snow Leopard

Since Apple is planning on releasing security updates for SL (at least for awhile), it would be nice if they ported Safari 6 to this operating system, so that SL users can take advantage of the security fixes in the new browser version. It is my understanding that Safari 6 has hundreds of Webkit security fixes.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I had the same question a while back

»Question about webkit

I ended up switching to Chrome on that box.
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to daveinpoway

to daveinpoway
Unless there is a massive security issue Apple only supports the currently shipping OS and the one prior to it.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Shouldn't hundreds of Webkit security flaws be considered "a massive security issue"?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Depends on how bit the security issues are. I don't think there are "hundreds" of security flaws patched by Safari 6...bugs maybe but not security issues. Most of the recent security issues were Flash and JRE related.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

According to this article (»www.h-online.com/securit ··· 849.html ), there were more than 160 security issues that were recently fixed in the Windows version of iTunes, but many/most of them had been repaired on Mac OS X in July by the release of Safari 6.

So, if I read this correctly, these 160+ security issues still exist on Macs which do not have Safari 6 installed. The articles says that these vulnerabilities affect HTML-based pages that are displayed in iTunes, but it is conceivable that other web pages (on other sites) are also affected.