Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

James455

join:2012-09-24
Bethlehem, PA

Earthlink/Verizon - T1 outages - Worldclass Nightmare

Ok, I’m fuming. To put it politely.

I am having constant sporadic outages with a T1 from Earthlink (formerly One Comm, Choice Communications). Verizon handles the lines between me and the CO. This has been going on over the last few months. The T1 handles data and voice.

The T1 will go down mid conversation. Inbound calls will get an error message “your call did not go through please try again”. We will have a lull in the phone or data traffic (which does happen) and realize that there was an outage.

It seems that the only time anything is done is when I call/email Earthlink which now has us with their “Chronic Team”. (I now have direct contact info with my new BFF’s: C-T personnel and my sales rep) It seems that NOTHING IS DONE UNLESS I BITCH.

Each time Earthlink tells me that Verizon is seeing errors on our line. (no kidding...)

Does anyone pay attention to the service they provide and fix it before the customer bitches?

Is it MY JOB to make sure they are doing THEIR JOB?

I mean seriously. This is affecting my business. We are beginning to look like amateur night which has me wondering if these outages are the reason why I AM HAVING THE WORST MONTH IN SALES SINCE 2009???

For extended power outages I have remote call forwarding to a voice mail box but it is useless for this scenario when I don’t know when the lines are down or how long the outage will be.

I started a SmokePing to see if I can log outages. Is there anything else I can do? Am I at the mercy of Verizon? (I do know that Earthlink is at their mercy too)

That T1 is my lifeline. They are literally putting me out of business.

Thanks for any insight/help you can provide.

--Jim

BandwidthNow

join:2006-03-22
Difficult to say exactly what's going on here but it sounds like bad/faulty copper (either at the CO or your prem), a bad/faulty Smartjack, or your IAD needs to be replaced entirely.

Regardless, based on the lack of customer (no)service, it sounds like you should change carriers ASAP. Where are you in your contract?

James455

Bethlehem, PA
Is the T1 provider even relevant? Regardless who I go with, the final mile will be with Verizon and that's were the problem lies.

I'm told that it is the copper.

(Not sure were we are at in the contract but I'm sure due to service outages the contract is technically null and void.)

TeleServPro
Premium
join:2009-08-24
Yes it is relevant as some carriers actually do what they're supposed to do, rather than pass the buck.

After a period of time copper can go bad for any number of reasons. I've seen cases where faulty copper was repaired at the CO (or Smartjack changed out at prem) resulting in the T1 working properly again.

CommQuotes
Premium
join:2012-02-01
Washington, DC
Hi James,

As TeleServePro said earlier, it absolutely matters which carrier you choose. Also, check your SLA. You might be able to get out of your contract and/or get a credit for the down time.

If you do decide to change carriers (which it sounds like you should based on your frustration), reach out to me. We work with over 100 carriers and can go through pro's and cons of each that have availability in your area. If you see something you like, we'll engage our contacts and negotiate the lowest possible price for the circuit. Our T1's start under 200 bucks.

Good luck and let me know if we can help. PM me or email phils@commquotes.com. We can help you end this endless cycle of frustration and save you money at the same time.

Phl

CommQuotes
1-888-9-QUOTES
888-978-6837
phils@commquotes.com
www.commquotes.com

James455

Bethlehem, PA
Thanks all for the replies. Coming back to the relevance of the carrier, am I to assume from your replies that there is more than one carrier handling the final-mile copper?

I was under the assumption that since this is Verizon territory they handle all of the copper from here to the CO. So therefore it really doesn’t matter who the provider is when the problem is with the local (Verizon) copper.

Or does Verizon (ahem) discriminate when working with 3rd party providers and their problems?

TeleServPro
Premium
No the last mile copper is provided by the incumbent- whether it's AT&T, CenturyLink, Verizon, etc. It's just the backhaul carrier that essentially 'rents' that last mile can vary greatly from one to the other, in terms of their clout with the last mile provider. Some carriers know how to work with them better than others. Also, the SLA can vary in terms of having you covered by their network as well as the incumbent's.

James455

Bethlehem, PA
As I suspected. So what are really my “non-Verizon dependent” alternatives?

VOIP over cable or cell?

I couldn’t imagine our local cable company doing any better than Verizon.

On a different tact, isn’t there state (I'm in eastern PA) or federal agencies overseeing the “final-mile monopolies” to make sure they are servicing their endusers in case the backhaul carriers have apparently zero clout?

TeleServPro
Premium
It all depends on where you're located (IM your address to me and I'll check). Coax or fiber can bypass Verizon. I wouldn't depend on wireless Internet for VoIP- too unstable.

There's really no significant regulation anymore on last mile copper (that I'm aware of). Everything now is moving in the way of coax/fiber, so not much attention is being paid to copper. Having said that it still works fine in most instances, you just need a good carrier.