Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

[DSL] Sagemcom Modems offered for 25Megs (New Users)

Hello,

We have good news!

Bell has confirmed that going forward the Sagemcom modems will now be offered to our New customers.

Effective September 24th, 2012, we will be issuing Sagemcom modems for all new GAS-FTTN orders of 25 Mbps. This does not impact ALU 7130(Cellpipe) modems that are currently deployed, unless proven defective.

Simply wanting the modem will not be a valid reason for an exchange. A technical issue needs to be present in order to warrant the exchange

Because of the customers dedicated work & patience in 2012 with the Cellpipe reboot issue, we are very excited about this news.

Best Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Well, that's good to hear.

I honestly don't understand why Bell bothered with even getting a firmware fix for the cellpipes, instead they should have just started sending the Sagemcoms out. They work just fine.

Better news would have been an option to purchase or use a 3rd party modem for those who are on the 7330 remotes.

But at least now the $8/month is not spent on an obsolete reject that Bell has basically discontinued from their own customer base.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

pnear

join:2002-06-12
Milton, ON
reply to TSI Martin

I'm literally sitting here waiting for my 25/10 install to happen today. When the tech arrives, should I / can I insist that he install a Sagecom?

Pete

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

Hi Pete,

Actually you should of received a modem by Mail. If not, please send me a PM with your account info & i'll get you the tracking information.

Regards,
Martin

pnear

join:2002-06-12
Milton, ON
reply to TSI Martin

That is concerning, I haven't received a modem. Sent you a PM.

Expand your moderator at work

kragop

join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON
reply to TSI Martin

Re: [DSL] Sagemcom Modems offered for 25Megs (New Users)

Is there any chance that Bell will get rid of the modem rental requirement? meaning we can purchase our own VDSL modems.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24

1 edit

said by kragop:

Is there any chance that Bell will get rid of the modem rental requirement? meaning we can purchase our own VDSL modems.

I have not heard/confirmed that they will. Ultimately its a possibility but I honestly wouldn't expect it this year.

Thanks,

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TSI Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
@AndreCleroux - Follow me on Twitter

kragop

join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON

Possibility - I like that. I'll keep waiting then.

The day the rental fee is gone, is the day that I upgrade to VDSL.

Quake110
Premium
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Martin

That's good to hear but that modem rental fee makes it more expensive than buying a cable modem. So I'll pass until they let us buy our own modem.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Quake110:

That's good to hear but that modem rental fee makes it more expensive than buying a cable modem. So I'll pass until they let us buy our own modem.

Same here.

heyyahblah

join:2009-02-01
Mississauga, ON

Diddo, if I could buy the modem I'd go to 25/10
--
Larry, Larry Laugher .. hehe

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

I honestly don't understand why Bell bothered with even getting a firmware fix for the cellpipes, instead they should have just started sending the Sagemcoms out. They work just fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that most of their customer base is on the Cellpipe, even now.
--
Everything Apple

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

....I honestly don't understand why Bell bothered with even getting a firmware fix for the cellpipes....

Er, follow the money ?

Bell either owned or had committed to buy a shitwagonload of cellpigs, and did not want to write them off so early.

Eug

Canada
reply to TSI Martin

They had lots of the Cellpipes in active use before the Sagemcom was even available. And IIRC for a time you couldn't use the Sagemcom with Fibe TV.
--
Everything Apple

lawrenson

join:2012-02-22
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

Bell either owned or had committed to buy a shitwagonload of cellpigs, and did not want to write them off so early.

Yeah, most likely they had a bunch in stock. The reason they're giving for switching to Sagemcom now is supply issues

quote:
Sagemcom modem to replace ALU 7130 modem

Bell Wholesale continues to enhance the services we offer to our service providers. Effective September 24th, 2012, we will be issuing Sagemcom modems for all new GAS-FTTN orders of 25 Mbps, or when the optional upstream speed of 7 or 10 Mbps is selected. With the introduction of Sagemcom modems, we will no longer provide ALU 7130 modems for VDSL orders.

This change is a result of a supply issue preventing us from deploying ALU7130 modems on a going forward basis.

What this means for you?

The introduction of the Sagemcom modems will be minimal to your business:

· The rental fee will remain the same at $8 per modem per month
· The order process remains the same, and
· You continue to provide your end-users with login credentials
· This does not impact ALU 7130 modems that are currently deployed

Sagemcom product specs will be available on the Bell Business Portal under service provider support

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

This is Good news! Sagemcom modems are pretty compared to the Cellpig! heh
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to HiVolt

Another plus of the Sagemcom is that it has ADSL/ADSL2 fallback. In the event that Bell screws something up and changes it back to ADSL1 or ADSL2+ profiles, the modem will still sync and you will still have connectivity. Cellpipe was VDSL only.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by HiVolt:

Another plus of the Sagemcom is that it has ADSL/ADSL2 fallback.

In the event that Bell screws something up and changes it back to ADSL1 or ADSL2+ profiles, the modem will still sync and you will still have connectivity.

Cellpipe was VDSL only.

With THAT level of enthusiasm from you, it sounds like you are suggesting that the Sagemcoms just MIGHT be worth the $8 eternal infernal monthly rental fee which Bell (in their unlimited wisdom and benevolence) allows us the privilege of paying thru our Indie ISP for these, yes ?
--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to TSI Martin

So if a person WANTED to buy a Sagemcom to use for, say the 15/whatever DSL service, what would one cost, and where would a person go shopping ?

Eug

Canada
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Another plus of the Sagemcom is that it has ADSL/ADSL2 fallback. In the event that Bell screws something up and changes it back to ADSL1 or ADSL2+ profiles, the modem will still sync and you will still have connectivity. Cellpipe was VDSL only.

I guess that's one plus, but then again I already have an ADSL modems that works fine with Bell. I think I paid $25 for it.

I guess they fixed all the Fibe TV issues with the Sagemcoms now then? (Not that it matters for TekSavvy customers though.)
--
Everything Apple

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to HiVolt

Firmware is cheap,replacing a modem is much more expensive.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

So if a person WANTED to buy a Sagemcom to use for, say the 15/whatever DSL service, what would one cost, and where would a person go shopping ?

We don't sell them & I don't know where you'd find one. So price wise would be unknown. I guess it's the same as how the 2wire is/was.

robinjames
Premium
join:2008-04-20
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Martin

That is great news,

I'd just thought I'd +1 the request to pressure Bell to remove the rental requirement. Back when the service was first launched, I was one of the many people in Ottawa who got a cellpipe with the wrong firmware. Thanks to Bell screwing up and not getting a modem to me until 3 weeks later, I ended up buying a Cisco router with a vdsl modem built in. I have yet to use my new cellpipe modem (other than to make sure it works) and has been sitting on a shelf. Meanwhile im paying that fee for it to sit there... frustrating.