how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

septcasey

join:2006-09-07
United State
reply to dbirdman

Re: Google Earth used up almost 400MB in 20 minutes.

That seems a bit much but I guess Google's mentality is everyone has unlimited internet.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

said by septcasey:

That seems a bit much but I guess Google's mentality is everyone has unlimited internet.

Somebody always has to be at blame, right? So it is Google's fault that they can't find a way to fit 20MB of data into 5MB of transmission.

When you use Google Earth you are loading huge numbers of individual photos, sewn together.

With photos there are only two ways you can go: More MB, or remove the detail. Personally I would prefer they leave the detail in. I can always choose how much I view.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool
Expand your moderator at work

septcasey

join:2006-09-07
United State
reply to dbirdman

We wouldn't have to play he blame game if businesses would get with the times. I know some people are happy with satellite internet, but most aren't. We are a settling people and we settle for what we can get in most situations. The download allowance isn't even my top concern with satellite internet, its the price. I can live with the FAP if the price for the internet matched the goods but it doesn't. It simply doesn't.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

Businesses are never about "getting with the times." They are about making a profit. If you can convince a business that there is actually a profit in running high-speed internet at low monthly cost to your location they will jump on it faster than you can blink your eyes. Otherwise, not going to happen.

Government, on the other hand, routinely spends money where there is no reward to speak of. I'm currently visiting with a friend who was an engineer on stimulus-paid wastewater projects, and he relates how they spent $15M to build a treatment plant in a town with 49 residents.

So, you should probably be working on your congressional critters, not on the deaf ears of business.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

Elkhorn

join:2009-12-31
Lyons, OR

I've used Google Earth for years, and been on HN since '07, and, I monitor my usage carefully - I've never seen GE consume anywhere near that bandwidth, I suspect your usage problem lies elsewhere.....
--
HN7000S 99 West 1250 MHZ Professional Pro Windows 7