spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheEx94

join:2012-09-24

Monthly Internet Usage?

How does Shaw count the monthly internet usage? Is it from the 1st of the month to the end of the month? On the shaw website, last month it tracked Aug 08-Sep 06, and this month is Sep 07-Sep 22 (I know Sep 22 means the last update). I'm monitoring my internet uasage with a program on my computer which tracks from the 1st of the month to the end of the month. I don't know if I'm properly tracking my internet usage.

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

It's based on your billing cycle.
So whatever your bill shows. I'm lucky in that I have my billing cycle start at the 1st of the month.
It is a little odd that your start date changed, it should always be the same, unless you made a change to your account.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to TheEx94

You should be able to adjust your software's reports for a different time period,

How close does it match up?

My testing showed Shaw's was less then mine showed.

And not all my usage gets reported because I am using multiple IPs on the modem.

-Posted from my phone.

TheEx94

join:2012-09-24
reply to TheEx94

Oh, ok. Thanks guys, this clears things up for me. I was worried because I didn't want to go over my usage cap. I made a change on my TV subscription (added more channels), so maybe thats why the dates changed. I'll have to wait and see next month's dates to see if it changes again.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
reply to kevinds

My reporting when matching shaw billing has always displayed more traffic than Shaw is reporting. Not that it matters at the moment?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

It doesn't really matter at all, every other UBB customer is complaining the ISP is over-counting usage, my results are Shaw is under-reporting usage.

Was curious what others are seeing.

-Posted from my phone.

waldstein

join:2010-07-25
Hoserland

said by kevinds:

It doesn't really matter at all, every other UBB customer is complaining the ISP is over-counting usage, my results are Shaw is under-reporting usage.

Was curious what others are seeing.

My dd-wrt equipped router is supposed to be fairly accurate in reporting daily throughput. Shaw reports slightly higher daily counts, but nothing seriously divergent. Still, the two-day delay is annoying...and sort of embarassing for Shaw, I would think.

jarrycanada

join:2004-12-02

Getting a router that has bandwidth monitor on it is the best way to keep track. other wise your just guessing how much your downloading. Login to Shaw say once a week to keep track that it's working right. Problem solved.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01

said by jarrycanada:

Getting a router that has bandwidth monitor on it is the best way to keep track.

Another option: Get a router that supports SNMP, and run Cacti