All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

useown
@optonline.net

useown to dm145

Anon

to dm145

Re: Can you use your own modem with OOL?

The modem I would be turning in is not mine, it is CV's.

I am looking at the SB6121 unless anyone else has a recommendation.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

said by useown :

Do NOT get it. It only bonds 4 downstream channels.

The recommendation is to get a FREE modem from Cablevision!
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to useown

to useown
said by useown :

The modem I would be turning in is not mine, it is CV's.

I recommend swapping current one for new one

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G to useown

MVM

to useown
Get the FREE Arris TM822G 'Loaner' from CV...
It will cost you NOTHING, and CV will be responsible for replacement if it should ever fail...
Your only responsibility is to return it should you ever decide to terminate your service.

-Tursiops_G.

useown
@optonline.net

useown

Anon

Thanks for all of the responses and help.

I realize that it seems silly to buy a modem when you can get one for free. However, I am making a trip up to return the cable boxes that I have (since they are now charging me for them, 2 years of free time is up) and I would like to just rid myself of CV equipment once and for all.

The arris modem looks interesting. Why is it that the moto modems are widely available at retail but the arris modem doesn't seem to be at all.

BTW, current modem is an OLD SB5120 modem. It's ancient by today's standards.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

I guess you are intent on getting your own after all the advice given here so if you can find a Zoom 5341J (note - J model)

»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· 063K4NN6

or Motorola SB6141/SB6180

»www.amazon.com/Motorola- ··· 07IMPMW4

or even the Arris. The main reason you don't see them being carried locally anymore is because there is no need, in places with Comcast that still rents modems for a fee, Best Buy carries more options.

I guess if you don't want to get it online then the SB6121 is a good option too, unless OOl decides to come out with a faster than 101Mbps tier (say 200Mbps) then your modem wouldn't be fast enough because it can only bond 4 channels at say 150Mbps max.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to useown

to useown
said by useown :

I would like to just rid myself of CV equipment once and for all.

And when you cancel your service, CV will demand that you return the modem (the one that you own!) or charge you $100.

It's easier to take CV's modem.

useown
@optonline.net

useown

Anon

Really? They will ask me to return a modem that I bought and purchased with my own money? That can't be right...Does anyone have experience with that?

I wanted to return every piece of physical hardware I have from them in one trip to one of their locations. I was going to do so so that I could have a hard copy receipt for returning their hardware. I can't imagine what claim they would legally have to a piece of hardware that one purchased.

Shotta35 - thanks for the links. I did find the SB6180. Right now it's just regular OOL so I'm not worried about breaking 100Mbps, lol.
useown

useown to Bob4

Anon

to Bob4
The terms and conditions show that they lay claim to their own equipment, not to things purchased separately:

»www.optimum.net/Terms
Section 1, subsection D and Section 14 subsection ii

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

You are correct. As long as you retain documentataion that you returned all of their hardware, you should not have any problem. They can't lay claim to something you own. However, there have been isolated, anecdotal incidents where people claimed that Cablevision demanded the return of hardware that had already been returned. If you retain documentation of surrendering the hardware, you won't have that problem.

If using your own hardware works for you for whatever the reason, then by all means go for it.

useown
@optonline.net

useown

Anon

Thanks limegrass. That makes sense to me and that's why I wanted to return the equipment in person and get a receipt indicating such to keep handy.

All I'm really trying to do is save having to go and return equipment twice since I know I won't have CV for too much longer. Returning equipment in person is a pain and I don't trust them to ship them the stuff and assume they'll send me proper documentation for the return of equipment.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to useown

to useown
When I canceled my service in 2004, I owned my own modem, but the Cablevision representative assumed I had a CV modem and wanted me to return it. I had to explain that it wasn't CV's modem.

Here's someone who had more trouble - »Cancel OOL, return MY modem or get charged?

Someone else with even more trouble:
quote:
And then there's my experience where it took 3 months at least 4 phone calls to get an accurate final statement that did not include a $60 charge for the modem I own.
»Re: I think it's time for me to go.....
Anyway, what you want to do makes no sense from any logical standpoint, so I'm done.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

said by Bob4:

Anyway, what you want to do makes no sense from any logical standpoint, so I'm done.

Maybe to you or to me, but if that's what he wants to do, he's free to do it. The OP has his reasons for doing it that make sense to him.

useown
@optonline.net

useown to Bob4

Anon

to Bob4
Thanks Nyan. I appreciate your taking the time to write and what you're saying makes sense. Seems like they pretty much have 0 systems in place to track what is happening in terms of equipment. It's hard to imagine a company as big as Optimum is run so poorly, then again based on the customer service experience maybe it's not.

Assuming that you provided someone with equipment vs knowing is kind of ridiculous.

I'll give it some thought and take it from there.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Those cases I cited were from several years ago, so hopefully CV has gotten its act together. However, since almost everyone gets a free modem now... who knows?
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to useown

to useown
At a glance equipment on the account, the rep will just see the equipment registered to the account, but all equipment is coded with an ID code - CV owned data/CV owned voice modem, as well as Customer-owned data/customer owned voice. If the rep goes into the individual equipment to look it should be coded appropriately. I don't know what causes mistakes on this matter, but I suppose it could either be incorrect equipment type listed, lack of knowledge to check equipment type following any charges made in error, or lack of knowledge of what to do following any findings of incorrect charges. I also have no clue if the system automatically charges when any equipment is left on the account, regardless of ownership. You can definitely get any mistake straightened out, but you may find it's not worth risking the time/effort of reversing any charges vs just making a second trip to return the modem.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Tursiops_G

Premium Member

to Tursiops_G
said by Tursiops_G:

Get the FREE Arris TM822G 'Loaner' from CV...
It will cost you NOTHING, and CV will be responsible for replacement if it should ever fail...
Your only responsibility is to return it should you ever decide to terminate your service.

-Tursiops_G.

Will they waver the fee if I return the modem?

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G

MVM

Subaru: What fee are you referring to?
There's No separate rental fee for the Modem itself (and you'll get No discount if you provide your OWN modem), but if you do take the CV-owned 'Loaner' Modem, it MUST be returned at termination of service to avoid paying an equipment non-return charge...

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian to useown

Premium Member

to useown
said by useown :

Really? They will ask me to return a modem that I bought and purchased with my own money? That can't be right...Does anyone have experience with that?

I wanted to return every piece of physical hardware I have from them in one trip to one of their locations. I was going to do so so that I could have a hard copy receipt for returning their hardware. I can't imagine what claim they would legally have to a piece of hardware that one purchased.

Shotta35 - thanks for the links. I did find the SB6180. Right now it's just regular OOL so I'm not worried about breaking 100Mbps, lol.

The thing is, unlike with the boxes, the modem doesnt have a ui or anything that would make it inferior to a bought one. Buying your own modem will just make it harder on you in the event that something goes wrong, and yes they might demand your modem back or proof you own it if you ever cancel if it ends up mis-flagged as theirs. Unless they start charging to rent a modem it makes no sense to buy one. Just bring the modem with you and ask for the arris.
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

RemyM

Time Warner is going to start charging $3.95 a month per modem. Hopefully Cablevision doesn't follow.
gadgetgoober
join:2012-10-31

1 recommendation

gadgetgoober to SHoTTa35

to SHoTTa35
Assuming that "OOL" stands for Optimum Online (I'm sure developing an intense hatred of acronyms!),,YES!

I just took delivery of a Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 SB6121 in Cheyenne, WY.

I purchased this because I was thoroughly incensed with Google continually designating my PC as being located in France and providing me with a completely FRENCH web experience. Even my damn weather was in celsius. My brief research seemed to indicate that this had something to do with my lack of IPv6 compatibility in my Cable Modem and it's outdated DOCSIS 2.0. Not sure if I really needed a new Cable Modem especially considering that Optimum/Bresnan itself isn't even up-to-date on the IPv6 thing.

ANYWAY:

I called Optimum/Bresnan and in a matter of minutes, the service tech had me hooked up.

After you write down or punch the Optimum/Bresnan phone number into your phone , go ahead and connect and power up your new SB6121 modem.
Now call Optimum/Bresnan 1-877-BRESNAN
They require the following info:
1. The phone number on your Optimum account.
2. Your name
3. The Model Number of your new modem
4. The MAC address from the bottom label

What's the catch? It appears that they are still on the IPv4 internet but IPv6 still works to some extent. Here's is my testIPv6.com test report:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 174.45.xxx.xxx

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2001:0:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx
Your IPv6 service appears to be: Teredo

The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your current browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to keep working after the Launch. [more info]

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your IPv6 connection appears to be using Teredo, a type of IPv4/IPv6 gateway; currently it connects only to direct IP's. Your browser will not be able to go to IPv6 sites by name. This means the current configuration is not useful for browsing IPv6 web sites. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BOTTOM LINE:
At least in my area, you can use your own Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
root
join:2002-12-11

root

said by gadgetgoober:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
BOTTOM LINE:
At least in my area, you can use your own Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

You've always been able to use your own DOCSIS modem with Optimum...but it's stupid to when it's provided to you at no charge.

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian to gadgetgoober

Premium Member

to gadgetgoober
Google seeing you as being in france has nothing to do with any of those things. It just means the IP you were getting wasn't geolocating properly. Changing your model changes your ip so it may have fixed it, but changing the mac address of your router if you have one would have as well...