share rss forum feed

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

[AZ] Just got an email about an "upgrade"

Anybody know what this is for? Specifically, what are they upgrading? I can't imagine it being anything like a node split because my area has no notable congestion.

I have gone up to four fold over the supposed cap and haven't heard anything from Cox about it, and many suggest this is because I am in an unsaturated area.

quote:
September 24, 2012

Dear Valued Customer,

Cox is committed to the future by expanding and investing in our network to continue bringing you reliable and blazing fast speeds. We are deploying significant enhancements to our network in 2012 and wanted to provide the latest information regarding this activity.

Between midnight and 6 a.m. on September 26, 2012 Cox will be performing an upgrade in your area. This activity may result in you having to manually reset the power on your Cox High Speed Internet modem, router or other Cox provided equipment should these appear to not work the morning of September 26, 2012.

If your modem does not come back online after this update, please complete the following steps:

Inspect the coaxial cable running from the wall to your modem. It should be free of damage and connected as tight as you can make it with your fingers at the wall and at the modem.
Check to ensure that the cable from your modem to your computer is secure at both
connections.
Unplug the power cord from your modem, wait 15 seconds, and plug the power cord back into the modem.
If you are not using a home networking device/router please skip to the next step. If you are using a home networking device you will also need to pull the power cord from the device, wait 15 seconds, and plug the power cord back into the home networking device.
Restart your computer.

In addition to network enhancements, making sure your modem has the latest and greatest in technology will optimize your online experience even more. An outdated modem may prevent you from fully benefiting from these advances and DOCSIS 3.0 modem technology is recommended for optimal experience. To find out more about modem options, you can check our supported modem list.

As always, please feel free to stop by your local Cox store or call us at 1-866-280-6217 with any questions you may have. For a list of store locations near you, visit coxazstores.com.

We appreciate your business, and want to thank you for allowing us to serve as your trusted provider of communications services.

Sincerely,
Cox Communications, Inc.

Hoss
Sauters A Walrus

join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

What modem do you currently use? Brand and Model please, if you can.

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

you beat me too it XD

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to Hoss

It's a Cisco DPC3000 revision 2.0, software dpc3000-v303r2391-091106a

What would this have to do with my cable modem brand? I figure this would be some sort of infrastructure upgrade rather than anything directly involving my cable modem. And if it is a simple firmware update, why would it need to go down for 6 hours?

stanley_qaz
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Gilbert, AZ
reply to Rakeesh

I got that letter here in Gilbert, AZ a while back, couldn't see much of any changes after the reboot except that they had enabled bonding for the upload channels.

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

Hmm...I wonder why they are doing bonding on the upstream channels? Doesn't make any sense to me because they have very tight limits on upstream bandwidth. (Though I'm not sure why, because each node includes a symmetric fiber link, so in theory they could provide as much upstream bandwidth as they do downstream bandwidth.)

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

well maybe once everyone in a d3 area has upstream channel bonding they will crank up the upload speeds

i bet they will do this for a few markets by the end of the year

remember premier and ultimate users got no upgrades last year so their has to be something in the works for quarter 4 of this year

Rakeesh

Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

Might they have any intentions of removing the analog channels in favor of increased space for broadband?

Wouldn't bother me any as I haven't watched them in a long time, and I already intend on cancelling catv anyways once my contract is up (though I may reconsider if they remove their universal CCI flag - with it there, their service is borderline useless.)

AZHSISUPPRT2

join:2007-11-01
El Mirage, AZ
kudos:7
reply to Rakeesh

Rakeesh,

PM me privately and I can fill you in as to what they are referring to. This is a legit email though.

Thanks,
--
Chris@Cox Communications Arizona

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

is it a cmts upgrade?

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI
reply to AZHSISUPPRT2

Cox needs to reduce latency to Verizon levels. Increasing speeds isnt all that meaningful.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

i hear that i would love me some lower latency

can lower latency's that match fios latency be achieved over hybrid fiber coax?

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
reply to Rakeesh

said by Rakeesh:

Doesn't make any sense to me because they have very tight limits on upstream bandwidth. (Though I'm not sure why, because each node includes a symmetric fiber link, so in theory they could provide as much upstream bandwidth as they do downstream bandwidth.)

You have to remember that while it is a fiber connection to the node, that fiber is carrying DOCSIS QAM and/or QPSK channels and those channels have a finite amount of bandwidth depending on the encoding method used.

channel bonding helps mitigate congestion because it allows the modem to utilize multiple upstream channels simultaneously.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to bryant313

said by bryant313:

i hear that i would love me some lower latency

can lower latency's that match fios latency be achieved over hybrid fiber coax?

Well I am sure the very select few who do have a fiber connection from cox does have lower latency, compared to mostly everyone having coax the last mile or so. Also as we know, latency, and such changes as loads increase on docsis channel's. It is cox's job though to keep up with maintenance of there network.

As recently I have notice cox edge routing(last two cox hops), before leaving the cox network have increased 2-3x in latency during evening hours. Which I know latency will increase in the evening's, but don't consider that much of an increase being normal. So it must be a matter of cox doing some maintenance to there edge routing. I notice the cox edge routing increase last week for me, which I haven't really checked this week. But I do remember latency jumping from around 20ms to 60-80ms, in the evenings last week, and it all started on cox's edge routing before leaving there network.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to bryant313

said by bryant313:

well maybe once everyone in a d3 area has upstream channel bonding they will crank up the upload speeds

i bet they will do this for a few markets by the end of the year

remember premier and ultimate users got no upgrades last year so their has to be something in the works for quarter 4 of this year

Why do people always assume upload speeds will go up when US bond goes live, if theres no muni/fios/fibre it simply allows them to load nodes even heavier[congested upstream affects downstream speeds]
--
Despises any post with strings.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to codydog

said by codydog:

Cox needs to reduce latency to Verizon levels. Increasing speeds isnt all that meaningful.

you'll NEVER get that on HFC.
--
Despises any post with strings.