join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter

2 edits

1 recommendation

[Rant] Dell is a pain in the ass [update] quickly made happy

I bought a new laptop directly from Dell. When it arrived it had crapware installed. I expected that. Re-installed Windows with the provided DVD. Boot windows only to find out NO network drivers were installed. Dell did not include a Drivers DVD. Online support accepted my demand for them to send me a drivers dvd. I was also told I should have used the Dell insert-name-here software to create DVDs that would restore the laptop to the way it was when delivered, including all the crapware I was trying to get rid of.
When and Why has Dell stopped providing a Drivers disc with the purchase of a new computer? Especially if they know the OS reinstall disk doesn't have essential drivers.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

Re: [Rant] Dell is a pain in the ass

I'm surprised it came with any sort of recovery disc. The last two laptops I've bought hadn't included any, and they also had directions to burn recovery discs ASAP or pay through the nose to vendor to get a copy sent to you.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

rfnut
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to vaxvms

Last I saw OS and/OR driver disks were an available user selected "option" when purchasing ( at least on business side of DELL) but default to not included.
It is not just Dell. Most manufactures no longer provide media, but upon first boot prompt you to make restore disks ASAP. I now as a rule, download and store all network drivers separately for restoring a clean un-"DELL'ed" install , as it usually the most important when fixing things. Also this is not a "new" policy. This started several years ago.

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
reply to vaxvms

Why not use a USB flash drive and download the drivers from the site? I have never used drivers from a CD... very outdated.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

The only time I found drivers on a CD to be a must was back in the Windows 95/Windows 98 day of 33.6/56K dial-up.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to vaxvms

update:
The day after interacting with Dell, I get an overnight delivery from Dell with 4 CDs - Windows re-install, drivers and utilities, installed apps, resource media. I'm a happy camper, but still disappointed I had to contact tech support to get these CDs that were readily available.
Perhaps being an adamant SOB (and demonstrating I'm a knowledgeable nurd) got me what I expected without having giving them extra $$$. Maybe not. Who knows. But I got what I expected to be provided and I'm now happy.

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1
reply to vaxvms

The drivers on the CD will most likely be outdated quite fast, if they are not already outdated.

Every time I do a clean Windows install, I always make sure to download the latest drivers before.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter

said by BigBlarg:

The drivers on the CD will most likely be outdated quite fast, if they are not already outdated.

Probably, but at least there will be functional drivers which were missing. Now I can connect to the internet to get the latest drivers, something I could not do after re-installing Windows without a load of unwanted crapware.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to BigBlarg

said by BigBlarg:

Every time I do a clean Windows install, I always make sure to download the latest drivers before.

you sorta need a working network to do this.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to vaxvms

Re: [Rant] Dell is a pain in the ass [update] quickly made happy

next time use crap remover

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to vaxvms

This is why I like HP. They also install crapware but they also have a feature to restore your PC using clean image (Windows and drivers with no crapware).
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.