uniqs
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora

Re: Anyone have a suggestion for standby whole home generator?

Have the new heat pumps been installed?

If not, why not ask your HVAC contractor for a modified quote on at least one unit?

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but it would be easier on any genny to off-source the heating load to a furnace.

It sure is nice to have A/C, but I'm guessing in your climate having heat probably a little more important than having A/C.

I agree with you about the tankless/coil - and am very thankful for my basic, does-not-need-electricity water heater which burns cheap natural gas.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by ncbill:

I agree with you about the tankless/coil - and am very thankful for my basic, does-not-need-electricity water heater which burns cheap natural gas.

My new electric hot water heater is a Geospring. Not certain how expensive it'll be to keep.

Three of the happiest days in my life recently was the day my oil furnace and related hot water heater were removed, the day my chimney was removed, and the day the two 330 gallon oil tanks were removed.

I'm off oil, and am happy. My electric rates are much more predictable. The 2nd generation Geospring seems to run well. Supposedly it costs about half as much as a conventional electric hot water heater. My understanding will improve better over time.

My last go at oil heat was a System 2000, which had to be repaired about 5 times over an 8 year period.

Our heat pump has worked well in winter and summer.

We shall see what happens. I understand many are better informed than I can be, and are probably much smarter. For better or worse, in my home, at least immediately after this renovation, it'll be heat pump, electric auxiliary heat and a Geospring (second generation) providing hot water.

I don't want to worry about oil tank level, or how much oil will cost for the next 400 gallon fill.
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill

Premium Member

Ummm...the first generation Geosprings have some pretty terrible reviews as to their performance & reliability.

E.g. poor recovery vs. conventional tank, interminable wait for parts (30+ days).

Note that these type of water heaters offer better performance in a hot climate like mine vs. a cold climate such as yours.

Be sure to buy the extended warranty - looking at online discussions you'll probably need it.

Was it your choice or suggested by your contractor?
said by pandora:

said by ncbill:

My new electric hot water heater is a Geospring. Not certain how expensive it'll be to keep.

pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by ncbill:

Was it your choice or suggested by your contractor?

I have 10 years warranty from Lowes. My contractor only understands basic devices. The Geospring was his first.

Often when dealing with trades people, I feel like it's 1960. Many do not understand Internet, a number of electricians did not understand my desire for Cat 6 wiring, two suggested everyone uses wireless.

I tend to like new technology, the 2nd generation Geospring seems nice.