Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO

[Bus. Ops] Infringement notices

Any one else seeing in increase in the number of infringement notices lately?
We've had 5 in as many days. Last year we had 2, for the entire year..

3 for Resident Evil and 2 for Dark Knight Rises.
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
I dunno.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to Rhaas
Never seen one. But then I'm in Canada. We get away with almost anything here
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to Rhaas
I've never seen one, but I'm told by our upstream provider that they actually had to do some sort of re-direct contortion act to send them all to the garbage as our network seems to generate a metric shit-ton of them.

Gotta love Canada!

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to Rhaas
This is how our three strikes law works

1) We recieve a notice
2) We charge the rights holder a NZD $25 processing fee to double check records etc and identify the subscriber
3) We forward the infringement notice via the special processing device pictured
4) The notice processing device automatically adds a strike against the subscribers account. If it somehow manages to return a message saying the subscriber has three strikes, then it is the machines responsibility to contact the customer and tell them they are being disconnected, as well as forward the customers details back to the rights holder.

The device has not yet informed anyone of a third strike and the law has largely proved unsuccessful, however the law did allow The Hobbit (think lord of the rings) to be filmed here.

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1
Now I see why mine doesn't work right - my Wall outlet has the wrong pinout... dang...

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to Rhaas
Before we had our own IP space we used to get them from our upstream providers on a regular basis. We would thank them and then forward the email to the customer. They were always a hotel so the hotel owner would just trash them because they knew the person that did it was long gone.

Once we got our own IP space a few years ago I figured we would see even more notices. Since I migrated to our own AS and IP space I've not seen a single one of them.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to Rhaas
I haven't seen a single once since I changed to a new provider.

That said I liked getting them tho because when you forward them to the customer with no explanation or anything they suddenly drop from ~100GB+/mo to less then 60GB in a month for at least 2 month's.

The anti-spam ones are nice too since you don't have to watch the Snort for people spamming makes it easier to find them and cut them off before they get your ip's blacklisted.

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to Rhaas
Haven't seen one in a while, but when we did it was promptly "filed".

To combat SPAM issues on our servers, we limit to 120 outbound emails a day per account. That pretty well stopped that issue. Now if they can't send a legitimate email we start looking at their email account on the server. Our customers are on a different IP than our email server. So if the customer IP's get blacklisted, so be it. Unless there is something else that could mess with us because of it??
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
reply to battleop
We too are just forwarding them on. All have been pretty heavy users in the 150-200Gb/month range.

We've had our own IP space for over a year now. I did notice that the notices are going to the arin contact E-mail address.
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Rhaas
So, an ISP in Australia was recently targeted by one of these industry groups and taken to court for allegedly allowing copyright infringement to take place on their network.

The defendant forwarded the infringement notices to the local police, whos duty it is to enforce the law.

The plaintiff didnt believe this was adequate, didnt do enough to stop it, and were liable for their users actions as a result.

Long story short, the defendants won, including 2 appeals. The end result was that the ISP was not responsible for its users actions.

That of course only applies in Australia, YMMV in the rest of the world.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
This one where the copyright troll was ordered to pay $9M?

Hollywood Loses Its Big Copyright Lawsuit Against ISP iiNet Down Under
»www.techdirt.com/articles/201204···er.shtml

Australia confirms ISPs are not copyright cops
»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011···ht-cops/

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
Yeah, it was against iiNet, so that would be it.