join:2005-03-29
kudos:3

[CritEditY] Green with Envy

Click for full size
NIKON D70
18mm 1/2000th -1ev F3.5 ISO200

No Edits
Hi,
After reading »Help understanding HDR I began to wonder about my 'greens'. I'm posting an image that was taken in RAW, resized and no other changes made. It was taken with WB set to auto.
I'm wondering if you find anything 'wrong' with the grass and/or the foliage color.
If you'd like to edit so that the 'greens' seem more realistic please do.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
Post the raw.

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to 29886823
Click for full size
NIKON D70

All I did was to tweak your WB, added a little more exposure, adjusted the shadows slightly and added a little vibrance to the colors using LR4. The WB on the original image was a little to cool for my taste.

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
reply to 29886823
One last thing auto WB in most DSKR's stinks. For day time shots I always use either cloudy or shade. These setting will make your day time images look more natural.

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to 29886823
Click for full size
NIKON D70

I find the colors in your image believable. The grass has a fall look and with the sun as bright as it is the grass will be a little more yellow. This leads me to believe the trees I circled are Colorado Blue Spruce and they have a natural blue green color.

My experience has been that auto white balance in natural light will produce believable greens most of the time. They may not be 100% correct, but believable. When they are not believable reducing the saturation works best. My experience, I also find that increasing saturation in natures greens does not work, they become unnatural very fast. My suggestion would be, if you are not sure about the greens do not saturate them. If you want to saturate other colors in an image try layers. This is my opinion.

Premium
Click for full size
NIKON D70
18mm 1/1000th F3.5 ISO200

tone-mapped
In trying to see what HDR would do for this image I used the three images I had taken with 0ev,+1ev and -1ev, and ran them through Photomatrix, choosing the default values for the tone-mapping.
I've posted this image to ask if you see any differences. Again, feel free to edit.

Paul Sweet
Premium
join:2004-08-12
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

I think the original colors look fine, as long as the trees are Blue Spruce, as SueS suggests. The HDR gives the sky on the right a green tint. This often happens to me if I get too aggressive with curves.

Premium
I just used the defaults, and I often notice that the sky often takes a hit. I enjoy taking photos in daylight, so if I have a tripod with me I'll generally shoot 0ev, +1 and -1 ev, in the hope of getting some mapping of the dynamic range. Even when I don't have a tripod I'll shoot a few shots, picking the best exposure.

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

2 recommendations

reply to 29886823
HDR is like taking medication, you need to decide if the fix outweighs the side effects.

Shooting in less harsh light produces nicer images in my opinion.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to 29886823
Just a suggestion, maybe try opening up your brackets a bit more. It may just be a difference in equipment with mine having more DR, but I find myself needing to shoot a two stop difference most of the time. Sometimes 1.7, a little less 1.3, but very rarely only 1 stop. That is for a 3 shot bracket. I've been recently contemplating dropping back down to a 1-1.3 stop difference and using a 5 shot bracket, just to maybe pick up on the sublties a bit more. Sure, memory is cheap, but so am I, lol.