spc
uniqs
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to Cheese

to Cheese

Re: Dear Apple.....

Do you really think Google is more of a fair fight than Samsung? Apple reportedly has a $100B cash hoard and growing. If the FTC let them, they could buy Google and then sell the search business to Microsoft for half price and kill Android.

Of course the FTC/DOJ would never allow this but I wouldn't want to be in a pissing contest with Apple. People are rabid for their incredibly average, of late, and still extremely high margin products. At one time the iPhone was the cats meow but smart phones have matured and without Jobs, I'm second guessing whether or not the iOS revolution is over and will now continue at the current seemingly evolutionary pace. If Apple doesn't get it's Jobs Mojo back, iOS will end up stagnating like Windows between 2001 and 2012. Sure, it evolved and 7 is certainly a lot better than XP but lots still think XP works fine for them. You'll notice that already Apple following Microsoft by only offering cool new things on the latest products. This sure sounds a lot like Microsoft whose browser once dominated the market but is now tied with Chrome because they kept requiring you to upgrade Windows to get the latest versions. Lots of folks are still on XP and cannot get IE9. Compared to Chrome, IE8 is a pile -- slow and becoming more incompatible with major sites. Folks on XP have no choice but to go with Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Is this Apple's future? (I remember Apple's 3GS battery icon having a new percentage indicator that was not offered on the my older 3G. Who believes Siri wouldn't work on the iPhone 4?)
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

It does not matter how much money you have in the bank after a certain point. You can only spend so much on attorneys. To some extent, the law takes over at a certain point. Say Apple could buy a company means nothing... even if you set aside the fact it would not happen.

I recall the Friday I heard Samsung lost. My heart sank like I was paying the bill. But then I read more about the issue. Samsung knew they were stealing things from Apple. Even Google told them this. They choose to release those phones anyway in order to gain ground on Apple. But in the long run, it will only stun Samsung. They will simply make the money back.

Apple is living in the past. They know full well that the iPhone is dated and won't be around much longer. I'm sure right now they are working on something to replace it.

Samsung is asking for another trial. They won't get it. It's just a ploy. They will await the award and then appeal. They will then make some deal with Apple to pay them something like $500 million. We won't know what the amount is as they won't be allowed to say.
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

So when you say there's only so much money you can spend on lawyers...do you really believe the law cannot be purchased? Perhaps not outright but as they say, money talks and bullshit walks. Never underestimate what money can make happen and with total disregard for what's right and wrong. It's happened in all of documented history and we have not evolved a Higgs Boson empathy gene that leads me to believe otherwise. Power can corrupt even the most pure of heart and well intentioned individuals. Didn't you know...everyone in prison is innocent. They are all just victims of circumstances.

If they truly want it, Samsung will get a new trial and with enough "grease" (see above), they'll get it. (And it's not like Samsung is poor.) The outcome may be the same but for now, this isn't over.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

What I'm saying is that there is only so much you can pay for that will be allowed in court. This is one reason the judge limited the time frame (because the judge knew both parties could afford to spend a ton of money on things such as expert witnesses... but at the end of the day it would simply turn into a lot of fluff). You can't "buy" a verdict but you can certain tilt the wheels of justice in your favor with money. But when both sides have enough money to buy everything they can get... it's even. After that, your billions in the bank mean nothing.

Samsung won't get a new trial just by asking. They might get one on appeal. But you'd be surprised how much money an appeal would cost and then another trial.

There is also no guarantees of an appeal. So Samsung will most likely start the process and use it as leverage (before it gets denied) to work out a deal with Apple. Samsung would be smart to pay more to Apple in order to keep their products on the market. Of course, they could draw this all out until those products are about worthless.

Samsung got caught with their hands in the cookie jar. It's too bad. I don't like it.
rradina
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

But when both sides have enough money to buy everything they can get... it's even. After that, your billions in the bank mean nothing.
That depends entirely on whether or not one of them blinks first. If Samsung has connections where this stuff is made, they could buy a little worker discontent that jeopardizes Apple's supply chain. Likewise, totally unrelated efforts by Samsung to grow business in the US (appliances for example), could be derailed by the right Apple money finding its way into those that hold the approval strings.

This has nothing to do with the trial. Just good ole vengeance. Although Steve is dead, he's been widely quoted as willing to spend every penny to bury Android.