All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

Niagara cops allegedly involved in cheese smuggling

Niagara Regional Police officers have been visiting pizzerias in the peninsula recently asking one important question: Where did you get your cheese?

It’s part of a larger internal investigation into cheese smuggling, allegedly by some members of their own force.

CBC News has learned from numerous police sources that charges are expected soon against a few officers who are allegedly involved in the
movement of caseloads of cheese from the U.S. to sell to Canadian pizzerias and restaurants

»ca.news.yahoo.com/charge ··· l?_esi=1
jaberi

jaberi

suspended with pay until they get it done....not a bad deal is it

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
I'm curious about this...
quote:
But Albert Zappitelli who runs Zappis, a popular Niagara Falls pizzeria says higher Canadian cheese prices, due to restrictions by the Canadian Dairy Board, and strict controls on cheaper U.S. imports, are driving an underground economy.
I'd be interested to know more about these restrictions and strict controls on U.S. imports and how they affect what we get vs. what we can't get... if anyone knows.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

I'd be interested to know more about these restrictions and strict controls on U.S. imports and how they affect what we get vs. what we can't get... if anyone knows.

Canada treats cheese smuggling the same way the US treats heroin smuggling.

I have not heard how the US treats poutine smugglers though.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

quote:
But Albert Zappitelli who runs Zappis, a popular Niagara Falls pizzeria says higher Canadian cheese prices, due to restrictions by the Canadian Dairy Board, and strict controls on cheaper U.S. imports, are driving an underground economy.

The Canadian Dairy Board keeps import duties high to make sure Canadian farmers are subsidized. It is all about politics. And when the import duty gets too high, guess what, smuggling commences and won't be stopped.

Mafia
@videotron.ca

Mafia to urbanriot

Anon

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Cheese is very tightly controlled in Canada. Saputo makes sure of that.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa ··· rporated
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· o_Saputo

Of course I jest...

But the running joke in Montreal is, no restaurant in Canada gets away w/o buying Saputo.

I'd be curious to know what brand cheese was smuggled in.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Maximum you can bring across is max 20kg equaling $20, otherwise tariffs kick in to make the price equal to the outrageous prices we pay in Canada.

As I've mentioned so often in the past, the dairy boards keep Canadian prices artificially high. American cheese is one half to one third the cost of buying it in Canada. For an operation that uses a lot of cheese like a pizza place, it makes a huge difference.

This whole story makes me laugh, though. NRPS officers smuggled steroids into the US, only to then smuggle cheese back into Canada on the return trip.
jaberi

jaberi to FFH5

to FFH5
what about the free trade?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It was specifically excluded.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to jaberi

to jaberi
If I were "Super Mario" I'd be trying to keep my profile low so that Nintendo doesn't realize I'm using their likenesses all over the inside of my shop.
jaberi

jaberi

Ontario cop and former cop charged

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. - A southern Ontario police force has charged one current and one former officer in a "large-scale" scheme to smuggle cheese and other food items into Canada.
Niagara Regional Police say cases of cheese and other foods were purchased in the U.S. and smuggled into Canada, without declaring the items or paying duty.
The items were then prepared for distribution to restaurants in southern Ontario.
Police say the investigation revealed over $200,000 worth of cheese
and other products were purchased and distributed for an estimated profit of more than $165,000.

»ca.news.yahoo.com/ontari ··· 172.html
jaberi

jaberi

will the one who told on the cops testify?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi

Re: Niagara cops allegedly involved in cheese smuggling

These are the culprits.
PX Eliezer704

PX Eliezer704 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Geez.

Some US cops get corrupted by heroin, meth, or oxycodone.

Some Canadian cops get corrupted by....cheese?!

---------------------------------

I wish John Candy were around to make the movie.

Canadian Cheese could be the sequel to Canadian Bacon.

Hollywood would change it from NRPS to RCMP, and would have RCMP stand for Real Cheese on My Pizza.

Cheeze Boss
@videotron.ca

Cheeze Boss

Anon

What this is, is an attempted take-over by the American gov. They are trying to trick you into thinking you are eating Canadian pizza so when you taste it your mind says, "yum", but your taste-buds are barfing in your mouth.

We all know American pizza is the worse there is. So this is a psychological attempt to fool you and to take over the country and force you to eat American pizza.

Next thing you know your pizza won't come with pepperoni, but rather the American ingredient, "meat", will be listed on the menu. But the americans never tell you what that meat it is

Seriously, you can't fool someone with american cheese and meat... unless maybe they are from the Niagara area, or americans eating in the Niagara area...

*steps off the soapbox*

Thank you.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Cheeze Boss :

We all know American pizza is the worse there is.

You completely discredited anything you're saying now or in the future my making such a foolish comment.

Real fresh American pizza is better than any of the mass-market crap you get in Canada, and real fresh pizza in Canada is few and far between.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

I think he was being sarcastic.. or at least.. I hope he was.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Robert:

I think he was being sarcastic.. or at least.. I hope he was.

The source would lead me to indicate that it wasn't sarcasm, but rather a case of simple batshit insanity.

Cheeze Boss
@videotron.ca

Cheeze Boss to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

Real fresh American pizza is better than any of the mass-market crap you get in Canada

heh I'm not kidding.

Is a Canadian pizzeria mass market crap, unless it's a pizza hut?

This may be another one of those Quebec-Ontario differences.

Pizza hut came to Quebec once 3.5 decades ago. Then pulled out a couple of years later due to no one buying their product, then came back again after a 10 to 15 yr absence.

Not many people do the mass market american chains here for pizza unless it's for a fast lunch type thing where you have 30-minutes to eat then run. Though it may be different in Ontario.

American Pizza, here, is not a mover.

I never knew it was in Ontario.

Even when I lived in Vermont and family or friends came over it was always the same complaint about American pizza. Worse there is.

So now we find out we have another food difference between prov's? But then again, you are right on a border with the US, so maybe the American taste is more accepted? More the norm?

Need a different Quebecker and different Ontarian to weigh in on this one now.

Very big differences between pizza made here and pizza made there (pizzeria's, not frozen mass market stuff or big American chains of which both are horrible anyhow)

just caught
@videotron.ca

just caught to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

Real fresh American pizza is better than any of the mass-market crap you get in Canada

Why are you comparing American fresh pizza with frozen mass market pizza in Canada?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi

Re: Ontario cop and former cop charged

said by jaberi:

If they were smuggling Swiss cheese there will be holes in their story.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

Of course, cheese a jolly good fellow.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone to just caught

Premium Member

to just caught

Re: Niagara cops allegedly involved in cheese smuggling

said by just caught :

Why are you comparing American fresh pizza with frozen mass market pizza in Canada?

For what it's worth, even most American mass market pizza is better than the Canadian equivalent. I will say though that you can get some pretty decent stuff in the Niagara Region if you know where to look. Of all the times I've been in Ottawa, even the stuff that people consider "good" was garbage compared to "good" down here. Then again, to many we may as well be Americans without the US Great Lakes accent.

CanadianRip
join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON

CanadianRip to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

There's quota's. You want into dairy you have to cut a deal with the three big dairy mob bosses like Saputo, I'm going to stop right there you can look up the remaining companies.

To me this is one of Canada's largest organized criminal schemes involving all level's of government well hidden under the guise of protecting dairy, health and safety when it does none of the above.

In fact there was a big scheme a foot back in the late 90's from these classy folk to push through rBST which is Bovine Growth Hormone - suspected to be bad for Human consumption. There was bribes involved with Health Canada, and all kinds of shady business.

In the end, Health Canada decided the heat was too high and did not approve the sale of rBST. Monsanto cried a bit, and took their ball home and went on to whipping up other fantastic products that will do some other God awful thing to the biosphere. I put them as #1 on my list of Companies most likely to kill all of mankind.

End of the day, through the Magic of PR the average Canadian knows nothing of these things.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by CanadianRip:

In fact there was a big scheme a foot back in the late 90's from these classy folk to push through rBST which is Bovine Growth Hormone - suspected to be bad for Human consumption. There was bribes involved with Health Canada, and all kinds of shady business.

In the end, Health Canada decided the heat was too high and did not approve the sale of rBST.

Bzzzt wrong. Health Canada had zero issues with human consumption of rBST. In fact, to this day Health Canada still maintains it is perfectly safe.

The issue was with the health of the cattle themselves and the potential long-term cost to farmers due to the health effects on dairy cattle versus the increased milk production. This is why it wasn't approved, but that certainly isn't what Canadian dairy farmers or those with an axe to grind will tell you. They want you to think American milk is bad and as a result Canadian milk is worth 2-3x as much money for the exact same product.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

quote:

It sounds a bit weird if not racists. Zappitelli, Cheese, Pizzeria, Cops and border town.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

You mean that Italians make pizza and that locally-owned pizzerias are popular in the Niagara Region? Gee, who would have thought?

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by Gone:

You mean that Italians make pizza and that locally-owned pizzerias are popular in the Niagara Region? Gee, who would have thought?

Or pizzerias and smuggling and cops

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Still don't know what racism had to do with it.

miakica
join:2009-11-10

miakica to just caught

to just caught
said by just caught :

16", four pound 3 cheese pepperoni pizza, $7,98 in Walmart USA...

Joking aside, I cross every week. I go to Walmart often, wife sends a whatsapp message of what she needs, and I just buy it.
Well, last Thursday, I bought stuff she asked me. Sour cream, yogurt, and more cheese than usual, since we bought a panini maker.
Was I in for a surprise...Anything over $20 in dairy products is a subject to 200% duty. WTF???
I was let go with a warning not to do it anymore, but, seriously, WTF?
200% duty on dairy?
I bought a 4 pound mozza brick for eight bucks, and it tastes better than cheese here