Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: Niagara cops allegedly involved in cheese smuggling

said by Gone:

Still don't know what racism had to do with it.

White milk vs. chocolate milk?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to miakica

Premium Member

to miakica
You need to have a real prick at the border to send you in for more than $20. An entire car full? Sure. But if you're doing regular grocery shopping and they know its for personal use it's exceedingly rare that they'll send you in, at least around here.

Eggs are the same way. More than one or two dozen and it's a 200% duty, too.

miakica
join:2009-11-10

miakica

said by Gone:

You need to have a real prick at the border to send you in for more than $20. An entire car full? Sure. But if you're doing regular grocery shopping and they know its for personal use it's exceedingly rare that they'll send you in, at least around here.

Eggs are the same way. More than one or two dozen and it's a 200% duty, too.

»www.beaware.gc.ca/englis ··· pe.shtml

Dairy products

cheese:
up to 20 kilograms per person with a value of $20 or less

milk:
up to 20 kilograms per person with a value of $20 or less

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

What's you're point? I'm already aware of the limits. What they say and what actually happens are two entirely different things.

Legally you're not allowed any HST exemption if you go to the US for less than 24 hours, but you'll never get sent in for less than $100-$120 worth of stuff unless you get a real prick, too. Sometimes, if they're busy, you can bring hundreds of bucks back and just be waved through.

And for what it's worth - that's a combined limit. Meaning $20 worth of dairy products total. Cheese, milk and everything fall into that combined $20. It's not $20 worth of cheese and $20 worth of milk separately.

miakica

miakica

said by Gone:

What's you're point?

Legally you're not allowed any HST exemption if you go to the US for less than 24 hour

I drive a truck for living, and I'm always away for more than 48 hours.

It just depends on the officer you get...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by miakica:

My wife works for the CBSA at the Peace Bridge. Trust me when I say there are some people not even she wants to have to deal with when we cross back in, and she works with them!

The majority of the time it is no big deal even when we cross at other bridges, and we go back and forth all the time.

The guys in commercial who you'd deal with when crossing with a truck also don't tend to have huge honking chips on their shoulder like some of the guys in traffic do, but they're much more by the book than the traffic guys are.

miakica

miakica

said by Gone:

said by miakica:

My wife works for the CBSA at the Peace Bridge. Trust me when I say there are some people not even she wants to have to deal with when we cross back in, and she works with them!

The majority of the time it is no big deal even when we cross at other bridges, and we go back and forth all the time.

The guys in commercial who you'd deal with when crossing with a truck also don't tend to have huge honking chips on their shoulder like some of the guys in traffic do, but they're much more by the book than the traffic guys are.

I know about you wife...

Last time I crossed back, I bought 2 cartons and a case of beer and a bottle of Two Olives Cake vodka. I had no problem paying duty on it.

I was lucky to run in to a nice guy at Queenston...He just asked me what the Cake vodka is... Said I can have that shit...In his eyes, that's not alcohol

And, I had about $700 worth of other stuff, and he just told me to have a nice day.

And, just for the record, I wouldn't drink that Cake vodka if it was the last alcohol on the planet

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I was bringing two cases of beer back across the Rainbow Bridge and the guy in the booth specifically asked me what kind of beer it was. I told him he probably hadn't heard of it, and that it was Yuengling. He smiled, said he knew what it was, and sent me on my way without making me pay a dime.

They're not all assholes. Neither are the Americans, some of them are friendlier than the Canadians, particularly the "locals" who grew up in Western New York rather than the hotshots from Texas who finished their tour with the Marines in Iraq and ended up in CBP because he flunked the police entrance exam.

miakica

miakica

And, I forgot...

I made it my mission to never, ever to cross back at PB

There is two officers there that are just plain assholes.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by miakica:

There is two officers there that are just plain assholes.

You have a far greater chance of being hauled in to pay tax on anything at the Rainbow Bridge or the Q-L than at the Peace Bridge. The Rainbow Bridge is a "revenue bridge" and the Q-L has a lot more assholes working there than the Peace Bridge. You might have come cross two assholes at the Peace Bridge, but they'll eventually come across at lot more at the Q-L, especially when they're busy as hell in the summer.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to jaberi

to jaberi
Cheese pricing for pizza shops is a big issue:

»www.crfa.ca/aboutcrfa/ne ··· urer.asp

The local restaurants can't compete against the frozen pizzas with subsidized cheese.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

We had a rather interesting and amusing discussion with our CFIB rep this week about that. The entire dairy "industry" is a sham in this country, and the most disturbing thing of all is that they've spent our money to convince people that their milk is somehow better and that we should feel privileged to pay much more money for it.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to CanadianRip

to CanadianRip
said by CanadianRip:

said by urbanriot:

I'd be interested to know more about these restrictions and strict controls on U.S. imports and how they affect what we get vs. what we can't get... if anyone knows.

There's quota's. You want into dairy you have to cut a deal with the three big dairy mob bosses like Saputo, I'm going to stop right there you can look up the remaining companies.

To me this is one of Canada's largest organized criminal schemes involving all level's of government well hidden under the guise of protecting dairy, health and safety when it does none of the above.

In fact there was a big scheme a foot back in the late 90's from these classy folk to push through rBST which is Bovine Growth Hormone - suspected to be bad for Human consumption. There was bribes involved with Health Canada, and all kinds of shady business.

In the end, Health Canada decided the heat was too high and did not approve the sale of rBST. Monsanto cried a bit, and took their ball home and went on to whipping up other fantastic products that will do some other God awful thing to the biosphere. I put them as #1 on my list of Companies most likely to kill all of mankind.

End of the day, through the Magic of PR the average Canadian knows nothing of these things.

wow....so it's not just the construction industry as we read, but also the dairy industry....
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by jaberi:

wow....so it's not just the construction industry as we read, but also the dairy industry....

Don't forget telecom. Add that to the list.

CanadianRip
join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON

CanadianRip to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

The issue was with the health of the cattle themselves and the potential long-term cost to farmers due to the health effects on dairy cattle versus the increased milk production. This is why it wasn't approved, but that certainly isn't what Canadian dairy farmers or those with an axe to grind will tell you. They want you to think American milk is bad and as a result Canadian milk is worth 2-3x as much money for the exact same product.

That's interesting:

»www.environmentalhealth. ··· low.html

I'd be interested in seeing the research and studies proving otherwise though.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
"Environmental Heath Practitioners" are well documented on Quackwatch. Anything someone using that label says can be taken with a grain of salt as it is simply not credible in any way, shape or form.

To put things into perspective, these are the same morons who think WiFi and cell phones make people sick. Unless you live in a Faraday cage and don't use a toaster, microwave or television inside it, you'll be exposure to natural levels of rf far exceeding that of cell phones or WiFi.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Gone:

To put things into perspective, these are the same morons who think WiFi and cell phones make people sick.

Or the American Academy of Environmental Medicine and the American Academy of Pediatrics who just this week raised concerns about wifi.

I'm sure if you were around in the 50s and 60s you would have been calling those sounding the initial alarms about smoking morons too.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
How did we get from cheese smuggling to the dangers of WiFi in schools?
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by PX Eliezer704:

How did we get from cheese smuggling to the dangers of WiFi in schools?

That's just one of the shorter leaps we've had in here. It's just human nature for conversations among multiple people to ebb and flow regardless of the parameters they are to adhere to. In this case I felt obliged to enlighten Gone considering if I posted the same garbage as he did I'd get the obligatory "BZZZT WRONG".

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Or the American Academy of Environmental Medicine

The AAEM are a bunch of well-documented quacks, and were exactly the people I was referring to earlier. They are not accredited in any way, shape or form and their opinions are usually taken with a grain of salt as far as legitimate studies go.

The American Academy of Pediatrics have their own issues, too. They aren't exactly knights in shining armour, either. Circumcised any young girls, lately?
said by peterboro:

I'm sure if you were around in the 50s and 60s you would have been calling those sounding the initial alarms about smoking morons too.

No, I just have a basic understanding of just how much RF there is in the natural environment and how much there already is in the home - and at much higher levels than wifi and cell phones - to understand that the whole idea that the minuscule levels of rf put out by wifi is a problem is so bloody retarded that only a moron would believe it.

Like I said, unless you live in a Faraday cage and don't use a toaster, TV or any other electronic device your body is absorbing way more RF on a daily basis than the tiny amounts that a laptop and a wireless AP puts out. This is why they are morons, and why you might due well to educate yourself on just how much RF we are and have been exposed to on a daily basis even before wifi and cell phones existed.

To address PX's concerns, people who think wifi is unhealthy need to eat more cheese, because they obviously have some sort of nutrient deficiency to cause them to draw such silly conclusions.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Unfortunately this thread wouldn't get back on the rails if I had to take the time to correct you as I'm sure about 4 pages would result. On the other hand an appropriate thread will come along eventually.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Next time you have your eyes fixed on your GPS because you can't be bothered to look at road signs while driving, I hope you're wearing a grounded chainmail suit.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

No I have reflective window film coverings and drive in a virtual Faraday Cage. Thanks for your concern though.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

No I have reflective window film coverings and drive in a virtual Faraday Cage. Thanks for your concern though.

A car is a Faraday cage for lightning, but they do not - even with reflective window coverings - block electromagnetic radiation. Not only that, but even if they did there are numerous sources inside the vehicle - not the least of which is the radio - which are RF/EM sources in of themselves that would expose you.

So, like I said - hope you're wearing a grounded chainmail suit. Thanks for playing, though. It only helps prove that you have no horse in this argument.

bluebaron2
Stuff Happens
Mod
join:2001-02-01
North of 44

bluebaron2 to jaberi

Mod

to jaberi
Closed because of incessant reciprocal bickering.