uniqs
share rss forum feed

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX

[XPPro] Network Install of XP Pro

I did something I swore I would never ever do again, work on a PC for any family members. This thing is old. The CD drive is so as a pane of glass and it for whatever reason will not do installs from a USB stick so I have been trying to do an install over the network, to which I have had some limited success using winnt32.exe and the i386 folder. The problem I am experiencing is I do not know what switches I am supposed to be using to tell it that it needs to install windows temp files and windows to this drive and so on and so forth. When I worked in IT many years ago, we used Norton Ghost and things like SysPrep, and that would be nice if I had an image already, but I do not.

Anyone experienced and can guide me to the right switches to use? I've been working on this for 3 days now. Google searches and every website I have used have been helpful here and there but I just want to get this thing done before I should it, tie some chains and cement to it and sink it in the lake.

ANY help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
Replace the CD drive with one that works. If the system is so old that it can't boot from USB that is your only option.

Or take the Drive out, connect it to another computer, partition and format the drive into 2 partitions, copy the install files to one of them and see if you can boot from the install files.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
I don't know why people cant keep machines update with the times. I ended up calling a friend @ Dell I used to work with years ago and he got them to send a disc out.

I will let someone else deal with it. I'm tired of fooliing with it.

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9
reply to Shootist
How would you go about making the partition seen as bootable?

brianmcd
Premium
join:2000-09-06
Norristown, PA
reply to atuarre
You could not make the D: Drive Bootable, but you could boot to another removable device. Once you get to a command prompt you could run the setup program from the D: Drive.

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9
What about, say freedos? If you have no other working drives on the machine, could you use another machine to copy freedos files onto the hard drive, and set it to be bootable?
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.