how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2006-07-06
Montreal, QC

1 edit

SSD graphics settings?

I just got my first SSD drive and the computer flies, boots up in 15 seconds, but the graphics performance is horrible, like I'm on an old videocard! Did I need to change something in BIOS or something else? The desktop display, resolution, and everything looks normal, but gaming graphicx is laggy, jittery, absolutely horrible!

I am thinking alsi this may something to do with Intel Display Driver. before SSD I always used AMD catalyst drivers and now there is on my system Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel, which I never had before. And I have trouble installing AMD Catalyst video driver

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Did you do a fresh install on the SSD or attempt to transfer an image of your HDD onto the SSD? Did you make sure to set your SATA controller mode to "AHCI" instead of "IDE"?

You should have set your controller to AHCI then do a brand new install of Windows onto the SSD.

You didn't give us any system specs, so you should start there.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to 59137280

said by 59137280:

I am thinking alsi this may something to do with Intel Display Driver. before SSD I always used AMD catalyst drivers and now there is on my system Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel, which I never had before. And I have trouble installing AMD Catalyst video driver

This is the real issue. Your video card's drivers are not installed. You need to install them for your video card. This has nothing to do with the SSD and more to do with an improper setup after a fresh install of Windows.

Montreal, QC

4 edits

said by Gordo74:

said by 59137280:

This is the real issue. Your video card's drivers are not installed. You need to install them for your video card. This has nothing to do with the SSD and more to do with an improper setup after a fresh install of Windows.

I installed and reinstalled my usual AMD Catalyst driver about a dozen times! It keeps showing in Device Manager under Display adapters as Intel HD 3000 and giving warnings after installation of Catalyst. I tried Driver Sweeper, uninstall/reinstall video drivers, reinstalled windows twice already last night, what do I do?

The fresh windows was clean installed on new SSD, I used my usual mobo disk to install Intel graphics first, as usual, but I never had this Intel Graphics Control Panel before.

Corei7
P8Z68-V PRO
XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Why did you install Intel graphics? It sounds like you are running off the integrated graphics from the i7-2500/2600/whatever CPU you have.

It's not a driver issue, you are set to use the iGPU or some level of virtualization instead of solely using the discrete GPU:

Everything You Need to Know about Intel's New Z68 Chipset

In i-mode, you set the board to initialize the integrated graphics port first in the UEFI. Then you connect your monitor to the motherboards graphics port. Youll need to install graphics drivers for both the Intel integrated part and the discrete part. For our testing, we used a GeForce GTX 580 card. Lucid actually says the best results will come from an ATI card, but we opted for the nVidia card to see how much of a monkey wrench we could throw in it. For a just out of beta product it surprisingly worked well. Would we run it in this mode? Probably not, at least at this point.

When running in i-mode, you are primarily using your integrated graphics and only kicking on the discrete card for gaming. The main sticking point here is that youll need Lucid to create profiles for any game that you run in the Virtu mode. Most gamers that we know cant wait that long when a new game is released. The other issue is power savings. As one of the key points of i-mode you'll likely see only moderate to minimal savings. Thats because unlike a mobile solutions switchable graphics, the discrete card doesnt completely power down. Even idling, todays beefy graphics cards still drink too much power. Wed prefer it if vendors could find a way to power down the discrete card when not in use. I-mode is also currently incompatible with dual-GPU cards and SLI too.

---

Virtu has a second mode available thats likely to be more handy: d-mode. In this mode, you set the UEFI to boot to initialize the PCI-E graphics adapter first and hook the monitor up to a port on the graphics card. In this mode, the discrete graphics card is in control and any game you run will run without the need for profiles to be created by Lucid. So what would ever use d-mode for? To access the Quick Sync technology in Sandy Bridge. Yes, Sandy Bridges graphics performance will never best a serious GPU, but believe it or not, the transistors that Intel has dedicated in Sandy Bridge for encoding and transcoding are mean mothers. How mean?

We took an Asus P8Z68-V Pro board, plugged in a Core i7-2600K, 8GB of DDR3/1333, a 1TB Western Digital Black drive and a GeForce GTX 580 card. Running in d-mode, we used CyberLinks MediaEspresso 6.5 to transcode a single VOB file to a generic WMV file suitable for playback on an HTC smart phone. Using the GeForce GTX 580 card took 142 seconds. We then used Virtu to allow us to access the QuickSync mode on the Core i7-2600K chip which took 109 seconds. Thats about a 30 percent faster for the integrated grapics. Now think about a transcode that would take three hours. Would you rather use the GeForce GTX 580 or the Core i7-2600Ks Quick Sync?

So, are you in either i-mode or d-mode? Is your monitor hooked up to the motherboard's GPU-out hookup (DVI/HDMI/whatever) or the video card's?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Montreal, QC

How do I check for i-mode/d-mode?
Monitor hooked up as always to my mornal HDMI input

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok

Did you try adjusting settings in BIOS? Disabling on board video, etc?

By the way, I've had a hell of time installing and getting the AMD Catalyst to work on my old HP desktop. They just do not work, at all.

Montreal, QC

said by Ghastlyone:

Did you try adjusting settings in BIOS? Disabling on board video, etc?

I didn't

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to 59137280

said by 59137280:

Monitor hooked up as always to my normal HDMI input

On the PCI graphics card or on the motherboard?

Montreal, QC

said by Krisnatharok:

said by 59137280:

Monitor hooked up as always to my normal HDMI input

On the PCI graphics card or on the motherboard?

On the graphics card I think, the one other hDMI doesn't even display the monitor

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Look at page 69 of the manual: the entry "Marvell Storage Controller" should be set to "AHCI Mode." It probably is since it came that way, but we need you to verify that, as well as where the monitor is plugged in.
--

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to 59137280

It sounds like the monitor is plugged into the HDMI port on the motherboard, forcing it to use the iGPU instead of the video card.

Montreal, QC

said by Gordo74:

It sounds like the monitor is plugged into the HDMI port on the motherboard, forcing it to use the iGPU instead of the video card.

No, monitor is plugged to vidoe card HDMI correctly

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Read your manual, I don't have time today to go through all ~150 pages and find the Lucid functions, but it's there, and it's set in the UEFI bios.

Montreal, QC
reply to 59137280

See my last post »Re: Which SSD drive to get?

And let's continue here »Which SSD drive to get?

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast

Do another fresh install but do the following beforehand.

Download the latest chipset drivers from you motherboard manufacturers website.

Download latest catalyst drivers from AMD.

Now put them on a thumb drive.

Unplug your computer from the internet.

SSD should be on port 0 or 1 in your motherboard. Unplug any secondary hard drives if you have them. Make sure bios is turned
to AHCI prior to install.

Install the OS.
Quick format only.

After install, (and your still unplugged from the internet)
Install the Chipset driver
Now install catalyst.
Run windows experience index. (configures windows for the SSD)

Now you can plug in the internet and install the rest of your drivers.

Do not install any other video drivers other than catalyst.

If you have a secondary hard drive plug it in now.