Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

[Rant] Beware of the Harmony One Remote

This is a bit off topic, but I thought I would post a personal story and a bit of warning.

I've been a big fan of the Harmony remotes for years. My old 880 died about 18 months ago after a good 6 years of service... and I bought it off Ebay and so it was a good deal.

I decided to replace it and realized the 880 was discontinued... and I researched and found the Harmony One was a really nice remote that I could afford a the time as a "treat" and it would do everything I wanted. Yes I only had 8 devices at the time so 15 were a bit to many... but I loved the concept of the touch screen.

Then came this past weekend. MY wife handed me the remote and the screen gets a bunch of white lines on it. There's this black spot like a finger in one spot... and a small line running across it in the Touch Screen. The LCD Screening had broken...

RESEARCH TIME: It's a known issue with the Harmony One's and not covered by Warntee... um... okay? I contact the great Logitech thinking this can't be... and sure enough they will let me buy a replacement at half off, but it's considered miss-use and not covered.

Research and fiddling with junk remote discovers the issue, and confirmed. The Logitech Harmony One remote's shape tappers towards the front where the touch screen is. It is encased in hard plastic, but nothing more than you would find in a typical remote. It is rounded and this causes there to be a "flex" point that you won't notice.

However this flex point which exists about 3 mm from the spot where the remote narrows to the tip is where the main LCD attachments are underneath... meaning it is very easy to break them and cause the LCD screen to break. It survived a 3 year old, but failed being genitally handed between two 30 year olds.

For a replacement I have gotten a Refurbished Harmony 650 from Canada Computers for $49... it does everything I need... expecially since I am down to 5 devices (4 really, but the HTPC needs 2 remote built in to do 'everything'). No rechargable batteries... ah well. If it breaks in 6 months I won't be as upset as a $200 remote breaking in 18 months.

Just a warning, because I am amazed at the lack of response from Logitech regarding this issue... especially for the "Flagship" remote
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

1 recommendation

said by Devanchya:

It survived a 3 year old, but failed being genitally handed between two 30 year olds.

What the hell kind of activities go on in your house?

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
lol, you have to love the auto-correct

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

Is that even legal?

neochu

join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON
reply to Devanchya
sounds like a design flaw that Logitech is falling on its sword to try and hide. Everyone wants to go with the touch screen thing to look cool but its an extremely fragile and unreliable input method right now.

I wonder if this is a common problem with that particular design that-ll be fixed in the next iteration of device.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by neochu:

sounds like a design flaw that Logitech is falling on its sword to try and hide. Everyone wants to go with the touch screen thing to look cool but its an extremely fragile and unreliable input method right now.

I wonder if this is a common problem with that particular design that-ll be fixed in the next iteration of device.

It will probably be fixed in the next iteration, they did the same thing with the Revelation cordless mice. The first models had non replaceable batteries, and Logitech would replace the units with failing batteries under warranty.

The next version had a user replaceable battery.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Devanchya
The 890 also is known to have the screen die. My father in law's has done so. It is about 6 years old.

w t f

@videotron.ca
reply to Devanchya
said by Devanchya:

but failed being genitally handed between two 30 year olds.

I want to know who's genitals failed the hand-off.

A pic may also help.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Devanchya
if I ever need to get a new Harmony I'm not willing to get the touch screen ones they cost to much and I don't need all that shit in a remote. I'm using a H659 myself I got a few years ago at factory direct for 30 bucks. Still works great for my needs.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
reply to Devanchya
Going on 5 years with my Harmony One, no problems at all. It fell a shitload of times..

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

The 890 also is known to have the screen die. My father in law's has done so. It is about 6 years old.

I've been lucky then, I have an 890, it's been dropped so many times, I the USB connector has broken off, the battery compartment won't close anymore, but it works.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......
Expand your moderator at work

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Devanchya

Re: [Rant] Beware of the Harmony One Remote

So your TV is in the bedroom?
I called Logitech and they said that you may need to lubricate the Harmony from time to time.

El Quintron
I dunno, lemme check my trollodex
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to Devanchya
I also love my Harmony One, but my previous one's screen also died which is annoying as hell. I'm on my second one right now.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have
Expand your moderator at work

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to Devanchya

Re: [Rant] Beware of the Harmony One Remote

I am on my 3rd harmony remote. The current one is the 890.

The only problem I ever have with them is one of the buttons, usually the volume up, always gets harder and harder to press.

Guess we use it too much.

Bill

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
reply to Devanchya
You were genitally handling your remote? Shame on you!

capdjq
Oh Did I Offend You
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to Devanchya
I have an old Harmony remote, Model 520. It handles 15 devices. Purchased $10 on Craig's List. Had it for 2 years now. Better than the newer models, some of which can handle only 4-5 devices. The Harmony One is $200 plus tax. More modern looking than my 520 but does the same job. Now if it could brew coffe and remote start my car I would consider purchasing.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

said by Devanchya:

It survived a 3 year old, but failed being genitally handed between two 30 year olds.

What the hell kind of activities go on in your house?

I think this belongs in the R-rated forum. Not sure why it's posted in Canada Chat. Mods?
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

balur

join:2010-04-28
reply to Devanchya
I'm on my second 880, the first one's screen cracked after a freak accident... the second has served me well for a few years, but the keys are starting to get non responsive. The volume up and down keys died a year ago, and I remapped them to the up and down buttons.

Now the left navigation button is starting to go.

I'm holding on to it as long as possible, since nothing seems quite right as a repalcement... but will probably have to make the leap soon.

capdjq
Oh Did I Offend You
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver
reply to Devanchya
I cannot sleep or eat trying to figure out what exactly is "genitally handling"?

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Devanchya
I've had a Harmony 650 for 3 years now. Only problem I had was a
set of cheapo batteries that were slightly smaller than brand name
batteries. If you jiggled the remote too much it would reboot.

As soon as I bought some Duracells all was fine.

FaxCap

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON
reply to Devanchya
I've threw mine in anger once on the hard floor, the casing came apart partially, and a few screws broke loose, but no other damage. It was completely repairable with a bit of super glue.

Now its undergoing the constant drops and mishaps from a 20 month old.

Very... Tough... Remote. Still works like it did the day I bought it after about 4 years.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
said by Spike:

I've threw mine in anger once on the hard floor, the casing came apart partially, and a few screws broke loose, but no other damage. It was completely repairable with a bit of super glue.

Now its undergoing the constant drops and mishaps from a 20 month old.

Very... Tough... Remote. Still works like it did the day I bought it after about 4 years.

Stop betting on NFL games until they get the real refs back - then you won't get so angry that you'll have to throw a remote!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Devanchya
That reminds me, I've been meaning to buy one of these; the only thing holding me back was lack of PS3 support, until I learned there was a PS3 adapter for it (although at an extra $60)...

I don't have THAT many remotes, but they're starting to add up:

Sony sound system remote
Sony PS3 remote that is virtually identical to soundsystem remote
Epson projector remote
Cisco cable box remote
Monoprice HDMI matrix switch remote

It's gotten to the point where turning on all the various devices and switching everything to the right inputs is getting annoying. And the fact that the PS3 and sound system remotes look almost identical doesn't help! And since the PS3 is my bluray/netflix player, I need to use both remotes at the same time.

I would actually like to be able to control my PC too, I wonder if I can get an IR receiver for it that the harmony can talk to, so that I can pause/play/rewind media player classic home cinema...
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to capdjq
said by capdjq:

I cannot sleep or eat trying to figure out what exactly is "genitally handling"?

I don't know what a Harmony is other than some electronic device so I am even more confused.

I went through the whole list of paraphilias (sexual fetishes) and the closest I got was forniphilia or getting funky with your furniture. Not sure if electronics count.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I would actually like to be able to control my PC too, I wonder if I can get an IR receiver for it that the harmony can talk to, so that I can pause/play/rewind media player classic home cinema...

Yes you can.I just googled it and there are lots of threads about it on AV forums