uniqs
share rss forum feed

tonytoronto

join:2007-10-31
Toronto, ON
reply to balur

Re: [Rant] Beware of the Harmony One Remote

said by balur:

I'm on my second 880, the first one's screen cracked after a freak accident... the second has served me well for a few years, but the keys are starting to get non responsive. The volume up and down keys died a year ago, and I remapped them to the up and down buttons.

Now the left navigation button is starting to go.

I'm holding on to it as long as possible, since nothing seems quite right as a repalcement... but will probably have to make the leap soon.

Mine started doing the same thing, i have the 880. I toke the remote apart and added a small piece of plastic under the key membrane for the keys that were failing, works perfect again. These remotes are very nice but really crappy built.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to capdjq

said by capdjq:

I, too, use my PS3 as my main DVD Player. My Harmony (520) works excellently with the PS3 adapter, which I purchased for $45 on sale.
My only problem, with Harmony One, is the cost, approx. $225, with tax. The cheaper model is the 650 which can only accomodate 5 devices. The 300 can do 4 devices but only 1 Activity (Watch TV). My PVR remote can do that.
The older models 520 and 550 can accomodate 15 devices and innumerable Activities but Logitech has discontinued them in favor of the much more expensive One.
However, no matter which model you possess all are programmed with the same software and perform the same way. No model does anything more than the other except the Harmony 900 (uses RF technology and costs $350).

I bought mine at futureshop, I paid $165 for the Harmony One and $60 for the adapter. Both were price matches, not sale prices.

The main advantages of the Harmony One over the enormously cheaper 650 (those that actually affect what you can do with it rather than conveniences like batteries or touchscreens) are primarily the device support (I've got six in it now, a seventh coming) and the support for sequences (the 650 doesn't, the One does). Most of the other differences are convenience things. For example, you can't reorder or rename custom activities on the 650, can't assign custom icons to TV channels, can't use a charging cable, etc. These kinds of things don't prevent you from doing anything (like the device number limit or the sequence support).

I was tempted to get the 900 just for the extra four bluray buttons despite the higher cost (which I would have pricematched down to 290 or so), but the deal killer was that the 900 doesn't support sequences, making it surprisingly a worse and less capable product than the much cheaper One.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
reply to Devanchya

Factory Direct.ca has the 1000 for $119.99
300 for $19.99 and 650 for $39.99
And the one for $99.99

Refurbs

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Guspaz

Logitech has really dropped the ball on the Harmony remotes in the past few years. They've put out some pretty good product, but they're limiting it now in order to sell you the more expensive option.

ALL of their remotes use the same software. They all have the same physical limits, but the software is programmed to limit certain remotes to less functionality for no reason.

I've actually got a Harmony 700, 550 and a Harmony Link. The Link has the most potential out of all of them and Logitech has dropped the ball on support. Android support hasn't been updated since January and it doesn't support anything newer than Gingerbread officially. The sad part is they updated the IOS app for IOS6 within days of IOS6 releasing. Logitech sucks.
--
Tom

balur

join:2010-04-28
kudos:1

Are there any alternatives though?

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON

Yes. There is one that I know of. Redeye.
--
Tom

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to TLS2000

said by TLS2000:

Logitech has really dropped the ball on the Harmony remotes in the past few years. They've put out some pretty good product, but they're limiting it now in order to sell you the more expensive option.

ALL of their remotes use the same software. They all have the same physical limits, but the software is programmed to limit certain remotes to less functionality for no reason.

I've actually got a Harmony 700, 550 and a Harmony Link. The Link has the most potential out of all of them and Logitech has dropped the ball on support. Android support hasn't been updated since January and it doesn't support anything newer than Gingerbread officially. The sad part is they updated the IOS app for IOS6 within days of IOS6 releasing. Logitech sucks.

That logic falls apart when the 900 and 1100 have less features than the much cheaper One... The lack of sequence (macro) support in a programmable remote is completely bizarre, and renders them useless for many people (hence the extremely low consumer reviews). I've programmed my One to turn on/off night mode on my AVR, and to change my projector between Dynamic (very bright, terrible colours) and Cinema (much dimmer, excellent colours) modes. Neither of these would be possible without sequences, and even to get the night mode thing I had to cheat by recording new fake buttons for my AVR remote in RAW mode (I now have a "DownDownRight" button) due to the 5 command limit... The 900/1100 also suffer from all the same issues I mentioned in my earlier post about the problems with the One.

One note, though, the 900/1100 do use different firmware (or a different branch, anyhow) from the One, which is why they lack sequence mode; Logitech decided not to implement it in that firmware...
--

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

It doesn't really fall apart. The One is a last gen remote. They've removed the macro feature from all of their current remotes as well as added device limitations in the lower end ones that weren't as restrictive before. My 550 has a 15 device limit, but my more expensive 700 has a 7 device limit. The Link also has a 7 device limit. My guess is that they removed the macro function because it was generating too many support requests.

The 900 and 1100 both include RF ability either directly or through an included adapter. This is a function that the One lacks.

Technically, the 900 is a successor to the One.
--
Tom

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Devanchya

Technically... In practice, a 900 would be much less useful to me. The RF thing is useless if you don't have stuff hidden away, and if you do have stuff hidden away, Logitech makes an IR extender for the non-RF models that gives you the exact same functionality (you just have to point at the receiver of the extender, but you can group one or more extenders in one spot). The RF in the 900 can't control RF devices, only their RF-controlled IR blasters, so really, that's not a big selling point.
--

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Going on 5 years with my Harmony One, no problems at all. It fell a shitload of times..

Two years and counting with mine. Got it on sale, 50% off.

As Loverboy recently stated at Copps Coliseum....

Lovin' every minute of it.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

Its not the price I'm complaining about, with the Harmony One, as much as the basic $200 price since it performs exactly the same as my "old" 520.
However I have negotiated for a BNIB Harmony One at $90. For that price and no tax I would buy.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Devanchya

This thread has haunted my beaten up 890.

Went to watch TV last night and the sucker was dead (ok the battery has been warning me for days).

It's become a literal wrestling match to get it to charge anymore. I don't know if it a contacts problem or it just doesn't "fit" in the cradle.

I think I fought with for like 20 minutes to get it to charge (usually 10 minutes is enough to get some juice into it). I think I finally got it charging, but I forgot to check it.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16

Sounds like yet another failure due to genitally handling

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by koira:

Sounds like yet another failure due to genitally handling

EEEEeeewwwwww.

Mike

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

Went to watch TV last night and the sucker was dead (ok the battery has been warning me for days).

It's become a literal wrestling match to get it to charge anymore. I don't know if it a contacts problem or it just doesn't "fit" in the cradle.

I think I fought with for like 20 minutes to get it to charge (usually 10 minutes is enough to get some juice into it). I think I finally got it charging, but I forgot to check it.

I would imagine it would be far cheaper to buy a new battery than a new remote...

I would rather have used Eneloops for my Harmony One. Didn't really want the cradle-based charging, but what're you gonna do.
--

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat
kudos:3
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

That reminds me, I've been meaning to buy one of these; the only thing holding me back was lack of PS3 support, until I learned there was a PS3 adapter for it (although at an extra $60)...

I don't have THAT many remotes, but they're starting to add up:

Sony sound system remote
Sony PS3 remote that is virtually identical to soundsystem remote
Epson projector remote
Cisco cable box remote
Monoprice HDMI matrix switch remote

It's gotten to the point where turning on all the various devices and switching everything to the right inputs is getting annoying. And the fact that the PS3 and sound system remotes look almost identical doesn't help! And since the PS3 is my bluray/netflix player, I need to use both remotes at the same time.

I would actually like to be able to control my PC too, I wonder if I can get an IR receiver for it that the harmony can talk to, so that I can pause/play/rewind media player classic home cinema...

I love my One. I have the PS3 adapter, and it works great.

For my HTPC, I bought a Streamzap remote system (like$25, IIRC) and just use the IR USB dongle, with the Streamzap Drivers. Harmony has a Streamzap profile you can add to your remote, and it works fine, for me at least.
--
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

said by elwoodblues:

I would imagine it would be far cheaper to buy a new battery than a new remote...

I would rather have used Eneloops for my Harmony One. Didn't really want the cradle-based charging, but what're you gonna do.

It's not the battery,it was just gettting to charge was the challenge,it's fully charged for now.

How can you put eneloops into an area designed for a flat pack battery?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Devanchya

I meant that the lower-end versions of the Harmony rely on regular AA or AAA batteries. I'd rather the Harmony One used AA or AAA batteries, since it'd mean less clutter from the dock.
--

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
reply to Devanchya

»www.engadget.com/2012/09/29/logi···uy-leak/

Looks like there's a new model out.
--
Tom

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Devanchya

Yeah, not up on Logitech's site or anything. I guess I'm still within Futureshop's return period... But if the new one doesn't support sequences, it's a worthless PoS.

It also looks like the buttons are very awkward on it. The pause/play/etc buttons are *above* the screen...
--