Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

madylarian to XANAVirus

Premium Member

to XANAVirus

Re: Cell Phones getting scams (mine is)

said by XANAVirus:

The legal loopholes are very very big (charities, previous business relationships, political things), not to mention any non-legal scam or call center will simply ignore the list anyways (or even use it to further the scheme).

I've found that at least the charities and businesses do honor requests to remove your number from their list. Politicians, however, are as bad as the scammers.

mady

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus

Premium Member

Provided you can get through their phone web, of course (for businesses only).

And sometimes (so I heard), they'd even hang up on you if you have to do the number removal through a live person.

But, the ones with automated number removal are the best, because theorectically it can't hang up on you since it's a robot.

I've never had to remove my numbers before, so I don't know how accurate I am when it comes to what I just described but I do have friends who had to deal with the supposed annoyance multiple times.

Though one time I did receive such a call on my cell phone, but only once and that was many years ago.

I know nothing about how easy or hard it is regarding charities but I imagine it'd be about the same, but my friends only relayed their experience regard business calls of that nature.

When it comes to politicians, I don't answer but I do respond to mail requests (but not from other things, only politics).

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to madylarian

Premium Member

to madylarian
Even if they are legal, you don't have to answer. I also don't have voice mail since I prefer the call log. I like being cell only for that reason. All the others on the plan can do what they please about calls.
I don't have to listen to the answering machine.

madylarian
The curmudgeonly
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Parkville, MD

madylarian to XANAVirus

Premium Member

to XANAVirus
said by XANAVirus:

Provided you can get through their phone web, of course (for businesses only).

I know nothing about how easy or hard it is regarding charities but I imagine it'd be about the same, but my friends only relayed their experience regard business calls of that nature.

When it comes to politicians, I don't answer but I do respond to mail requests (but not from other things, only politics).

As soon as they start their spiel I just say "please take us off your list" and hang up. It does work for both businesses and charities. Now the only calls we get are the scammers, politicians and some local idiots who think they can get away with it. I report them.

mady

roc5955
Premium Member
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY

roc5955 to madylarian

Premium Member

to madylarian
said by madylarian:

I've found that at least the charities and businesses do honor requests to remove your number from their list. Politicians, however, are as bad as the scammers.

mady

That's funny, I get about a call every two months from some sheriff's widows and orphans scammer, and I tell them each and every time to remove me from their list.