All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

septcasey
join:2006-09-07
United State

septcasey to dbirdman

to dbirdman

Re: Google Earth used up almost 400MB in 20 minutes.

said by dbirdman:

We are arguing reality (and we win that big time). You are arguing "fair."

Fair is in the mind of the beholder. There are a few places where fair does not exist (although marketers will often tout their unfairness as being fair because it sounds good). Those places are business, government, and life itself. If somehow you have reached an age where you are able to post on the internet and have not yet learned that life is not fair, I'm sorry to disillusion you.

The water satellite ISPs sell does not quench. However, you can bring any kind of water to dehydrated people and most of them will buy it. The reality is, this is true. Is it fair to take advantage of people this way? Certainly not.

Hughesnet needs to look at the big picture. Wired and tower wireless internet is spread to new places everyday and people do not hesitate to drop their satellite ISP for that. If Hughesnet wants to stay in business in the near future, my suggestion is they should really start to make changes to keep their customers. The price is too high and the download allowance is too low. If you see the storm coming, prepare for it.
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too

said by septcasey:

Hughesnet needs to look at the big picture. Wired and tower wireless internet is spread to new places everyday and people do not hesitate to drop their satellite ISP for that. If Hughesnet wants to stay in business in the near future, my suggestion is they should really start to make changes to keep their customers. The price is too high and the download allowance is too low. If you see the storm coming, prepare for it.

There is no question that that, when people get alternatives to satellite, they drop their Hughes connections, but, every year, the number people who are moving into areas not served by any other type of internet service provider is greater than the number of those who gain other options for the first time. And that is the reason why Hughes' customer base has grown steadily every year and why it will do the same into the foreseeable future.

It seems, Casey, like you need to go through this same dance a couple of times a year. You expect some business to provide you with the service that you think you deserve even if it means that they will lose money in doing so. And no amount of accurate information presented by those who do have a grasp of reality seems to make any difference.

septcasey
United State

septcasey

You guys could crunch numbers and make even torture look fair and reality. I'm just one of those people who don't believe in fair access policies. Forgive me for expressing my opinion.

My computer has no malware or viruses. How much data is Google Earth supposed to use with normal use. I guess by normal I mean opening the program, going to my state then going over it looking for certain places.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by septcasey:

How much data is Google Earth supposed to use with normal use. I guess by normal I mean opening the program, going to my state then going over it looking for certain places.

Reasonable question. I just did a few things:

Opening GE: 100K
Selecting Cheyenne, WY, where I am at the moment took 2.8MB
Zooming to 28000 feet took 2.6MB
Zooming to 11600 feet took 3.8MB
Zooming out and moving a couple miles then back to 11600 feet took 7.1MB

So, 16.4MB to look at 2 places.

septcasey
United State

septcasey

That seems a bit much but I guess Google's mentality is everyone has unlimited internet.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by septcasey:

That seems a bit much but I guess Google's mentality is everyone has unlimited internet.

Somebody always has to be at blame, right? So it is Google's fault that they can't find a way to fit 20MB of data into 5MB of transmission.

When you use Google Earth you are loading huge numbers of individual photos, sewn together.

With photos there are only two ways you can go: More MB, or remove the detail. Personally I would prefer they leave the detail in. I can always choose how much I view.
Expand your moderator at work

septcasey
United State

septcasey to dbirdman

to dbirdman

Re: Google Earth used up almost 400MB in 20 minutes.

We wouldn't have to play he blame game if businesses would get with the times. I know some people are happy with satellite internet, but most aren't. We are a settling people and we settle for what we can get in most situations. The download allowance isn't even my top concern with satellite internet, its the price. I can live with the FAP if the price for the internet matched the goods but it doesn't. It simply doesn't.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

Businesses are never about "getting with the times." They are about making a profit. If you can convince a business that there is actually a profit in running high-speed internet at low monthly cost to your location they will jump on it faster than you can blink your eyes. Otherwise, not going to happen.

Government, on the other hand, routinely spends money where there is no reward to speak of. I'm currently visiting with a friend who was an engineer on stimulus-paid wastewater projects, and he relates how they spent $15M to build a treatment plant in a town with 49 residents.

So, you should probably be working on your congressional critters, not on the deaf ears of business.