uniqs

chachster
Premium Member
join:2002-08-07
Westerville, OH

chachster

Premium Member

My new install and first impressions

Not having the "traditional" cable for over 10+ years I've decided to give WOW! an opportunity (at least to replace my internet) and went with cable as well to try out.

HD - Thumbs up! This is much more "crisp" than what I was getting with U-Verse (I thought it was okay until I flipped back and forth between it and WOW!)

Internet - trimmed about 30-40ms of latency off from my VDSL. Seems faster, but for overall surfing its the same, but when downloading I am seeing an improvement over my 12meg DSL. Would have expected a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, but that may be what 2meg and 15meg customers get as its not necessary, but does not making upgrading a simple call.

Menu on standalone HDDVR box - Thumbs down, but I knew that going into this. I know Ultra is available and has a much more refined menu system, but hope that someday they improve the menu on this dinosaur! Might just be my current setup but it is very pixelated on my TV and hard to read the text. Have to get into the settings later.

Being in an area where I have multiple TV choices (Dish, Satellite, Insight, ATT U-Verse, and WOW) I hope that keeps the updates, changes, innovation coming. Happy to have made the choice to try WOW!

Now I need to find out what type/model/brand of splitter I need so I can have my modem, and 5 runs (including my already connected HD Homerun Prime and HDDVR) to provide clear QAM to the other TV's. The installer put in a two way to split to the modem and to a three way and off the three way to my hdhomerun and HDDVR so I have one free now. Will I need any amplifiers as I know that the signal level is important.

It's only been over 12 hours since installation was completed so I will give it a few weeks before putting in a review.

Thanks for all the advice from the great users in the forum.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by chachster:

Internet - trimmed about 30-40ms of latency off from my VDSL. Seems faster, but for overall surfing its the same, but when downloading I am seeing an improvement over my 12meg DSL. Would have expected a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, but that may be what 2meg and 15meg customers get as its not necessary, but does not making upgrading a simple call.

We do have a much larger stock of DOCSIS 2.0 modems currently, so they're still in use. You do have the option to upgrade by swapping the modem for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem at your local office though, instead of scheduling a technician appointment.
said by chachster:

Now I need to find out what type/model/brand of splitter I need so I can have my modem, and 5 runs (including my already connected HD Homerun Prime and HDDVR) to provide clear QAM to the other TV's. The installer put in a two way to split to the modem and to a three way and off the three way to my hdhomerun and HDDVR so I have one free now.

I've personally always like PCT splitters, WOW used them when I was a technician, and they rarely had issues. I think we currently use Evolution for splitters. Any quality splitter that's at least up to 1000MHz (1GHz) should be fine. I don't recommend the ones you find in certain retail "shacks" or big box home improvement stores though. Check around online if you need a splitter, or if you see a WOW tech in a area, ask them if they have an extra one.
said by chachster:

Will I need any amplifiers as I know that the signal level is important.

For the amount of devices you have, you probably don't need an amplifier, but it's not a call I can make from here. Every house is different, and your location on the plant will determine your signal level. If you experience digital breakup on any of your devices (pixelation/blocking) it might be necessary. This is a call a technician should really make though, after determining there's no better option.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991 to chachster

to chachster
You're in Westerville, so you're very close to the WOW office at 161 & Westerville Rd. Don't fret about upgrading and requiring a new cable modem; just swing by and pick up the new one if you need it.