plk
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
united state

1 edit

plk

Premium Member

Baofeng UV-5R greenstar GPS Nav.

Heads up. Just got a few of these radios and have found that in the 156.xxx range they knock the GPS receiver offline in the combine. Greenstar is nav etc equipment used in tractors and combines and planters etc . Have not had the time to do further testing. But if your in the tractor next to it..... your signal goes to zero or 10% for awhile. when it comes back, your combine might be off a few rows for awhile. This will effect calculations. Have not tried it with auto steer.....

I will try some other channels and UHF when I get a free moment and programing cable.

aSic
application specific
Premium Member
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL

aSic

Premium Member

Interesting. Wonder what kind of Chinese smoke magic is going on in there to emit enough interference up at 1500Mhz?

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

It is probably not emitting that high. I'd guess that the interference interaction is at a lower freq and in the Greenstar device since it is a passive listener...??

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to plk

Premium Member

to plk
Isn't that a violation of its certification testing it must pass?

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by ropeguru:

Isn't that a violation of its certification testing it must pass?

They probably didn't anticipate that a Chinaman Ticky-Talky would be placed immediately adjacent to it.

aSic
application specific
Premium Member
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL

2 recommendations

aSic to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
said by John Galt6:

It is probably not emitting that high. I'd guess that the interference interaction is at a lower freq and in the Greenstar device since it is a passive listener...??

Yeah I thought about that yesterday afternoon after I posted. Maybe they both use the same freq LO? Mixer products?
said by plk:

Does it only occur when the handheld is nearby and powered up? When transmitting? Is it made of kryptonite and simply being in close proximity to another electronic device causes it to writhe in pain?

mitchell
join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC

mitchell to plk

to plk
I had the same thing happen with a older AM.FM radio in a chevy truck and a Garmin GPS 45 (old GPS)...I think it was the local oscillator freq blocking..

Mitchell

plk
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
united state

plk

Premium Member

I spoke to someone from John Deere the other day. He said they have seen it with other folks radio's to.
It could be some poor RF shielding in the Green star gps receiver.

Only happens when I transmit within a few 100 feet

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr to plk

Premium Member

to plk
Keep in mind that that radio isn't type accepted for the 156.XXX MHz range. They do some odd stuff when they are out of the HAM band.