neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

[Tech] Which TPMS is dying...

2008 Nissan Versa.. It has the TPMS where it just has a warning light, no independent tire readings.

Occasionally, I get a TPMS warning light, and it will usually blink for a minute, and then stay on. After I park, turn the car off, and go do what I have to do, and then come back, the light will stay on for a minute, and then go out.

Is there a way to test the independent sensors, or the receivers, or am I stuck guessing?

BTW - Mattmag... when the the cat's eyes start blinking? Just noticed that...

pmohr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN

pmohr

Premium Member

Not yourself, no. With a TPMS tool you could verify TPMS battery levels, if one is borderline it can intermittently trip the TPMS light, and with most any decent scanner you can see what the car is seeing as far as tire pressure and sensor ID.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to neonhomer

to neonhomer

Some vehicles do have a "user test" function, that involves adding or removing air in a tire one at a time, and the car signals with a short horn response or something similar. It would be in your owner's manual if it has it. I'm not overly familiar with Nissan, so I can't say for sure.

And, the cat has been blinking for several years now. Even I forget it does that until you end up looking at it steady for a few seconds.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel to neonhomer

to neonhomer
Is it passive monitoring or active? Passive is usually just a light, it measures each wheels rotation not pressure. If they vary in rotation a certain amount then it will throw a light. Then you check all the tire pressures and find the one that is low, flat, or overinflated.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I believe it is passive. All I have is an idiot light on the dash.

pmohr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN

pmohr

Premium Member

It's not a passive system, you have a TPMS sensor in each wheel.

The only real Nissan TPMS failures I've seen are dead or weak batteries. Other makes tend to lose TPMS IDs or have TPMS module failures, again just from what I've seen (which happens to be quite a few).