share rss forum feed

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

1 edit

[hard drive] Hard drive not recognized

Working on a friends laptop. She spilled wine on it and asked if I could recover her data. No problem I thought. I got the laptop and pulled the hard drive. A Seagate SATA Momentus 5400.6. Put it in my external USB EZ-Dock 2 but no go. For some reason it doesn't seem to be working. After a few minutes it shows the drive(s) need formatting. Drive also doesn't show up in Disk Management.

The drive is running Win7. Is there some secret I am missing? Of course the hard drive could be defective but it was working when the laptop got the wine spill.

Update: Just tried it again and got further along this time. When I first plug the drive in(the external USB device is hot pluggable) after a short delay the drive(s)(it's partitioned with OS, Recovery partition, etc) appear. I am trying to access using a Win7 Pro(64 bit) machine.

Anyway I was finally able to begin to open the OS partition but while the contents were being scanned before actually opening the whole drive to just dropped from view. Then I get the dialog box suggesting I need to format the drive(s).

This wouldn't be caused by a permissions thing would it?

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
The drive needing to be formatted error is common with drives that have become corrupted. However, the drive dropping from view after showing you the contents, would typically indicate a faulty HDD.

I would start by testing the HDD for errors using the drive manufacturers disk tools, in this case, SeaTools. Preferably with the drive attached internally (ie: not via USB). Run the short and long test, if either test fails or shows errors, the drive is faulty.

At which point your best option would be to try using data recovery software. But if the drive doesn't remain recognized properly, that isn't likely to work either.
--
Google is your Friend

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to jbob
I would connect the system directly to a Sata port on the mainboard if possible - bypass the USB dock.. When drives have issues the USB devices like to accentuate the problem.

I can think of no direct logical reason why spilling wine on the computer would cause the hard drive to fail.

Not power? Sure. Liquid will do that. Shorts will do that.
Power but not work correctly? Not likely.

The drive could have been having issues to begin with which is, again, accentuated by your usb dock.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to jbob
I'm having a similar issue.

Namely, a 120GB hard drive I have that I know has data on it I need to access will show up in Windows, and on disk management, but insists that I have to format it before I can use it... except that it was formatted, and that everything was fine the last time I had to write/read from it. It had been sitting on a USB dock that I have here, which at least solved a similar problem with another drive that I needed to access stuff on.

I know I can't afford to take this drive to somewhere that could 'restore' the data, and I do have another external I could copy the data onto now (finally), but I kinda need to be able to access what was on there first.
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
said by C0deZer0:

I'm having a similar issue.

Namely, a 120GB hard drive I have that I know has data on it I need to access will show up in Windows, and on disk management, but insists that I have to format it before I can use it... except that it was formatted, and that everything was fine the last time I had to write/read from it. It had been sitting on a USB dock that I have here, which at least solved a similar problem with another drive that I needed to access stuff on.

I know I can't afford to take this drive to somewhere that could 'restore' the data, and I do have another external I could copy the data onto now (finally), but I kinda need to be able to access what was on there first.

You should start a new topic as it's rude to add a new/different problem to the OP's issue. Not too mention it can get confusing.

In any case, as noted in the other issue, the drive has become corrupted. This is very common with USB drives. It can be caused by not properly disconnecting the drive, leaving the drive connected while the PC is powered off/on, or even doing everything properly. It's just a fact of life.

You can try using a tool such as Partition Table Doctor to recover the partition information, which is what is commonly corrupted. If that doesn't work, then you will need to try data recovery software.

As noted previously, the first step should be to attach the drive internally to a PC and then test the drive to ensure it's not faulty. Then proceed with repair or data recovery.

And I know everyone should know this, but everyone seems to need to learn the hard way...you should have at least one BACKUP copy of any data that you do not want to lose. Hardware fails all the time and accidents happen. Be prepared.
--
Google is your Friend

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
reply to jbob
Sorry for late reply. For an update, looks like the drive was going bad. I did hook up the drive via sata cables in a desktop system. For some reason the system(OS) would not see the drive although it was in the Bios.

I could boot to a SeaTools boot CD, access the drive and run a long scan. It would find errors, then fix the errors however upon reboot the OS would find something and run the diskcheck on bootup. When the system would reboot again the system was not detected by the OS. Run the SeaTools boot CD and the process happens again. On and on, ....

Luckily I was able to boot to a True Image boot CD and access the faulty drive. I was able to image/backup all the data as well as the recovery partition.

Something must be funky with that system. When I ran the Seagate utility to detect the Seagate drives it would detect none even though the data drive on that particular desktop was a 1TB Seagate drive working perfectly.